local council re-cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No it's far better to use new aggregate it supports the mining and quarrying industries.

Recycled Glass is used in all sorts of places, added to mine waste for back fill underground, road surface and sub surface, concrete and garden gravel

Attachments

• Glass.jpg
    Glass.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
How can more be recycled than is produced?

Of course you wouldn't be biased towards mining more rock, would you? ;)

How can more be recycled than is produced?

Of course you wouldn't be biased towards mining more rock, would you? ;)

The data is for the UK which produces very little green glass, most of our green glass comes in from overseas, therefore we simply do not have the production capacity to absorb the recycled green glass so they have to find other uses for it or ship it back abroad, China is also another home for our green glass.

and yes I admit I am totally biased and do all i can to support our mining and quarrying Industry :thumb:

The data is for the UK which produces very little green glass, most of our green glass comes in from overseas, therefore we simply do not have the production capacity to absorb the recycled green glass so they have to find other uses for it or ship it back abroad, China is also another home for our green glass.

So that was data just from the UK...which could be why we send the glass abroad for recycling... ;)

Last edited:
No it's far better to use new aggregate it supports the mining and quarrying industries.

Isn't that a bit like saying it's better to buy a new iPod every time the battery goes flat, rather than recharging it? That would certainly help the iPod production industry, but it doesn't really make sense if there's a more sustainable alternative.

Why isn't more being invested in increasing our glass recycling capacity?

Isn't that a bit like saying it's better to buy a new iPod every time the battery goes flat, rather than recharging it? That would certainly help the iPod production industry, but it doesn't really make sense if there's a more sustainable alternative.

Why isn't more being invested in increasing our glass recycling capacity?

Yes I would support that too as all battery materials are mined and refined so supports the mining industry :D

You need to invest more in glass production in the UK not recycling,we already recycle too much green glass. But unfortunately just like the UK mining Industry it's another UK industry that has declined rapidly over the years through lack of support and investment.

You need to invest more in glass production in the UK not recycling,we already recycle too much green glass. But unfortunately just like the UK mining Industry it's another UK industry that has declined rapidly over the years through lack of support and investment.

Perhaps I'm being dim here, but other than to serve the vested interests of those involved in mining and related industries, why does it make sense to increase production if demand is already being exceeded through recycling?

The reason we have a surplus of green glass here is we import and drink an enormous quantity of largely green bottled wine. Unless and until the UK wine industry grows exponentially, that issue is going to remain.

The reason we have a surplus of green glass here is we import and drink an enormous quantity of largely green bottled wine. Unless and until the UK wine industry grows exponentially, that issue is going to remain.

That is absolutely spot on but the UK glass industry in it's decline lost a lot of it's export markets which were taken up by increases in production in mainland Europe. If you increased UK production then you have to try and take back the export markets which would be difficult in Europe given the production increases in the countries of use. Not sure on the global glass production platform at the moment and what markets would be open if the UK could produce competitively.

Glass bottles are pretty much produced very close to where they are needed. I once toured the Saint Gobain mega-factory that produced the bottles for Bordeaux and South West France. Unlike the (filled) final product there is so little value in the bottles relative to their weight and transport cost, local production is essential.

Numerous companies now ship wine in tank to bottle locally, and if transport costs grow, that will increase, but it is still small scale compared to bottled shipment.

Numerous companies now ship wine in tank to bottle locally, and if transport costs grow, that will increase, but it is still small scale compared to bottled shipment.

I wonder if I could have it delivered by the IBC.

I wonder if I could have it delivered by the IBC.

You would be better with one of these which is what they bulk ship Australian wine in. 24,000 litres of your favourite plonk :D hic

Attachments

• flexitank.jpg
    flexitank.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 44
Shame they don't show the pipe with direct connection to Trapperjohn just out of frame..

Next time we have a European 'wine lake' there will be people figuring out ways to run their cars on the stuff !

Pondering this. Mr Trapperjohn (who continues to have a good sense of humour, I hope) is fond of a glass or ten of Australian wine, which cheers up the wet climate of Lancashire. Wine is basically about 85% water, the rest being alcohol, sugar and numerous flavour and other compounds. The main wine areas in Oz are short of water. So numerous litres of water are shipped half way round the world from a drought area to Lancashire. How about they reduce the flavours to a syrup (ribena would work well), ship in dry form, save a fortune, and then it could be reconstituted with water and alcohol here.

Pondering this. Mr Trapperjohn (who continues to have a good sense of humour, I hope) is fond of a glass or ten of Australian wine, which cheers up the wet climate of Lancashire. Wine is basically about 85% water, the rest being alcohol, sugar and numerous flavour and other compounds. The main wine areas in Oz are short of water. So numerous litres of water are shipped half way round the world from a drought area to Lancashire. How about they reduce the flavours to a syrup (ribena would work well), ship in dry form, save a fortune, and then it could be reconstituted with water and alcohol here.

Sounds like the plot to the 1966 Batman film. It didn't go well...

Juice concentrate is exactly what they do with fruit juice.

Given most bulk commercial wine is only one step up from grape juice, except in the mind of the marketing man responsible, that is by far the most sensible way, DM.

Ribena is for Southern jessies - up here we drink VIMTO!!! (hot vimto for special occasions :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom