local council re-cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidsw

Car
Jaguar XKR,Porsche Boxster S
Our local council has changed the way re-cycling operates . Before the items were placed in plastic bags and the refuse collectors threw them into a cart segregated into compartments for glass,plastic/cans paper etc.Now we have to use re-usable bags and they are tipped by the collectors into segregated areas in the lorry.They could throw a plastic bag about 10 to 12 feet upwards and fill the cage , now , they can only tip a bag a maximum of about 3 feet above their heads.The new collection vehicle have cages about 10 foot above the bed of the lorry but can never be filled . By the way the contractors spent £14 million on the new vehicles.

Strangely Plymouth city Councilhas also just spent a simliar amount on new trucks, would you happen to live in plymouth ?

I feel for people with three wheelie bins in roadside properties with no rear access.

Last edited:
Our local council has changed the way re-cycling operates . Before the items were placed in plastic bags and the refuse collectors threw them into a cart segregated into compartments for glass,plastic/cans paper etc.Now we have to use re-usable bags and they are tipped by the collectors into segregated areas in the lorry.They could throw a plastic bag about 10 to 12 feet upwards and fill the cage , now , they can only tip a bag a maximum of about 3 feet above their heads.The new collection vehicle have cages about 10 foot above the bed of the lorry but can never be filled . By the way the contractors spent £14 million on the new vehicles.

What a strange way to do it, our local council uses regular compactor type refuse lorries to cram the maximum weight in.

Similar lorries here. We have two wheelie bins - collected alternatly, one for no-recycling, one for garden waste etc.

We also have two bins. One for tins, bottles, cans - one for carboard. There are two bags, one for plastics (I think) and one for paper/newspaper. These collected weekly.

Strangely Plymouth city Councilhas also just spent a simliar amount on new trucks, would you happen to live in plymouth ?
Not far away ST.Austell .It seems all of Cornwall now operates this system and it looks as though Devon does as well.

I have noticed lately that there are an increasing number of comments posted on here that seem to be trying and get some reaction or argument going . Perhaps it's one of the worst aspects of the internet that people can hide behind a keyboard and insult others .

I have noticed lately that there are an increasing number of comments posted on here that seem to be trying and get some reaction or argument going . Perhaps it's one of the worst aspects of the internet that people can hide behind a keyboard and insult others .

Some see humor where others don't. If my carrot crunching comment offends you I apologise (I already did).

I most certainly am not hiding behind a keyboard or attempting to provoke a reaction.

Some see humor where others don't. If my carrot crunching comment offends you I apologise (I already did).

I most certainly am not hiding behind a keyboard or attempting to provoke a reaction.

Ok Bruce you were typing your aplogy while I was typing . I have got in touch with the council to find out what to do with waste carrots and I await their reply:).
And you're right it is an awfull bank holiday Monday

Don't believe in all this recycling cr*p everything at our house goes in the black bin except grass cutting in summer which goes in the green one.

If you knew what they did with the stuff they collect separate you would not bother it's a joke and a sick expensive one at that :mad:

Don't believe in all this recycling cr*p everything at our house goes in the black bin except grass cutting in summer which goes in the green one.

If you knew what they did with the stuff they collect separate you would not bother it's a joke and a sick expensive one at that :mad:

You could be right ..it's the same with bottle banks seperate containers for clear and coloured bottles when the get to where I work at the docks they are all dumped in one pile , loaded on a ship and sent to France or Spain.

I feel for people with three wheelie bins in roadside properties with no rear access.

Having the bins at the front of properties should be made illegal - they really blight some areas.

Kind of what I suspected to be honest. The main thing that annoys me is the number of recycling bins we have and the inconstistency both regionally and nationally. We have 3 wheelie bins and 2 large tubs, bins are for 1. Household, 2. Garden, 3. Plastic, Glass and Tins (steel and aluminium), tubs are for 1. Paper, 2 Cardboard. These take up a huge amount of space on my drive that I resent to be honest. I'm sure that if I wanted to keep the equivilent of 20 square ft of space on council property they would be charging me a handsome fee for this.

I used to be able to keep 3 cars on my drive, now we can only keep two cars on the drive and have to keep one on the road due to the space occupied by the recycling bins and tubs :(

Don't misunderstand me, I do believe in recycling. I just don't believe that the recycling we think we do is actually happening once the waste leaves our premises.

Last edited:

You could be right ..it's the same with bottle banks seperate containers for clear and coloured bottles when the get to where I work at the docks they are all dumped in one pile , loaded on a ship and sent to France or Spain.

And what happens to it when it reaches the destination?

Recycling is much cheaper in some other countries as labour costs are much lower.

And what happens to it when it reaches the destination?

Recycling is much cheaper in some other countries as labour costs are much lower.

It gets crushed made into concrete blocks and dumped at sea for sea defenses or fish spawning grounds, now you know why I don't bother.

It gets crushed made into concrete blocks and dumped at sea for sea defenses or fish spawning grounds, now you know why I don't bother.

Can you prove that.

I am aware that SOME glass was being used in decorative concrete flags, but am sure you are not accurate here.
Those blocks would have to have been made from some kind of material, better to use glass then new aggregate.
iirc the vast majority of coloured glass is now made from recycled glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom