Local Council wasting my money

alanf

Car
SLK 230
Today at 9 30 it was 6 celsius and i passed my first gritter of the year. A complete waste of money i think. Ive just checked and it is now +9 outside and a beautiful sunny day.Every year without fail there is a cockup here with the gritting teams getting it wrong. Last winter they got caught out bigstyle by the heavy snow that every one in the country knew was on it's way except them and caused gridlock.I just know this will happen again soon as they are completely inept. Rant over.

Alan:wallbash:

Bobby Dazzler

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
ML AMG-line Black Series
It might have been a test run. I know of a private company who has taken over the road maintenance contract, and who will be gritting roads for the first time ever as a company - they normally surface roads rather than sprinkle them!!. They have a trial any time now.

PS It's not Stockton though. :D

Dryce

MB Enthusiast
Car
Today at 9 30 it was 6 celsius and i passed my first gritter of the year. A complete waste of money i think. Ive just checked and it is now +9 outside and a beautiful sunny day.
Our council seems to salt specific road sections on the slightest drop in temperature.

It's a pity they didn't make sure that road markings were kept visible and that potholes were repaired so dilligently.

OP
OP
A

alanf

Car
SLK 230
It's now 10.5 celsius here and starting to rain. Strangely enough that's what the forecast was this morning. So now the salt is getting washed down the drain along with my cash.

Alan

Lugy

Car
W140 S320
I passed 2 gritters today on my little drive (pics/write up tomorrow) today. One of them had a massive plough on the front :eek:

trapperjohn

MB Enthusiast
Car
124 300D 24V Estate
With it being a Saturday would the drivers have been on overtime.:wallbash:

Could have just been the mechanics giving the rigs a test I suppose after the vehicles have been laid up for the summer.

Driver training for new crews or refresher training for experienced crews after not piloting such beasts for a while:dk:

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
It might have been a test run. I know of a private company who has taken over the road maintenance contract, and who will be gritting roads for the first time ever as a company - they normally surface roads rather than sprinkle them!!. They have a trial any time now. :D
Watch Out! Flying Tarmac About! :D

corned

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
The gritting equipment operators in these parts seem to have latched onto the fact that smaller grade material is less damaging to cars.

The quite fine grit they have used in the last couple of years has been a welcome change from the housebrick-sized ordnance previously deployed! Less likelihood of your car emerging from an overtake looking like that poor Rolls Royce in the Gumball Rally!!

Gridlock

MB Enthusiast
Car
C43 AMG
A frost was forecast for this weekend?

How fast would you have been on here if it went that way and you'd slipped on your way to work?

There's plenty to hate councils for (including the 3rd world roads we are expected to use) but I'd rather they gritted more than less.

Colin_b

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250CDI (C320CDI & SLK350, Sold) & the Trusty Citigo
Cold and frosty in Cumbria this morning, nice and cold. No evidence of grit or gritters:)

Dryce

MB Enthusiast
Car
A frost was forecast for this weekend?

How fast would you have been on here if it went that way and you'd slipped on your way to work?
There is a balance. I think that given the number of times I've seen them grit in the last two years when the forecast doesn't require it on balance I think they're unecessarily overdoing it.

As an ex-biker I reckon the stuff is lethal on the roads when they grit and the stuff turns to paste. So they're exchanging one risk for another. At least as a biker I could figure it was frosty/icy and avoid the roads when the temperatures were low. If they put down slippy stuff when the temperatures are higher then I would be caught.

Gut feel says that the increased gritting is down to liability paranoia rather than actual pragmatism. And that's not a good reason.

OP
OP
A

alanf

Car
SLK 230
A frost wasn't forecast here. I saw the weather on TV not long before i passed the gritter and it said rain which is what we got, a bit in the afternoon and torrential most of the night.

Alan

Seamster15

MB Enthusiast
Car
BMW Z3m & Audi C5 V8
Our council just spent 259k redeveloping their website.... yet they are cutting services!

yachtman

Car
clk 320cdi
Could have just been the mechanics giving the rigs a test I suppose after the vehicles have been laid up for the summer.

Driver training for new crews or refresher training for experienced crews after not piloting such beasts for a while:dk:

I have been doing just this with my works gritter & Shunters this week.

Firstly find the Key!!!

richard

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
MY04 SL55, MY18 GLC63s
Our council just spent 259k redeveloping their website.... yet they are cutting services!
I can't see how it is possible to spend that much !! I doubt the 1st version of eBay cost that :)

I hope its not the current Guildford Borough Council - home site - look at their 'online payment system' https://www.guildford.gov.uk/payments/newpay.asp
that clearly doesnt interface with any back end systems at all and doesnt match anything else. Assuming there is a new site going to appear, I can see why they wanted to update the site - it looks like a very cheap database backed information only site -

R

davethemus

Car
mercedes c280 1999
you put grit down before the ice and it prevents it, putting grip down when the ice is already there is pointless as salt doesn't melt ice it only stops more from forming.

Mr E

MB Enthusiast
Car
57 W211 E280 AG
you put grit down before the ice and it prevents it, putting grip down when the ice is already there is pointless as salt doesn't melt ice it only stops more from forming.
Hmmm - always seems to melt the ice on my path when I put salt on it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom