Local Council wasting my money

Discussion in 'Driving/Incidents/Roadrage' started by alanf, Nov 7, 2009.

1. alanf

alanf Active Member

Car:
    SLK 230
    Today at 9 30 it was 6 celsius and i passed my first gritter of the year. A complete waste of money i think. Ive just checked and it is now +9 outside and a beautiful sunny day.Every year without fail there is a cockup here with the gritting teams getting it wrong. Last winter they got caught out bigstyle by the heavy snow that every one in the country knew was on it's way except them and caused gridlock.I just know this will happen again soon as they are completely inept. Rant over.

Alan:wallbash:

1 person likes this.
  2. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    It might have been a test run. I know of a private company who has taken over the road maintenance contract, and who will be gritting roads for the first time ever as a company - they normally surface roads rather than sprinkle them!!. They have a trial any time now.

PS It's not Stockton though. :D

3. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Our council seems to salt specific road sections on the slightest drop in temperature.

It's a pity they didn't make sure that road markings were kept visible and that potholes were repaired so dilligently.

2 people like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    alanf

alanf Active Member

Car:
    SLK 230
    It's now 10.5 celsius here and starting to rain. Strangely enough that's what the forecast was this morning. So now the salt is getting washed down the drain along with my cash.

Alan

5. Lugy

Lugy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S320
    I passed 2 gritters today on my little drive (pics/write up tomorrow) today. One of them had a massive plough on the front :eek:

6. trapperjohn

trapperjohn MB Club Veteran

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate
    With it being a Saturday would the drivers have been on overtime.:wallbash:

Could have just been the mechanics giving the rigs a test I suppose after the vehicles have been laid up for the summer.

Driver training for new crews or refresher training for experienced crews after not piloting such beasts for a while:dk:

7. ringway

ringway MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Bi TDI - A Fantastic Car! Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely! Also R32 & S4.
    Watch Out! Flying Tarmac About! :D

1 person likes this.
  8. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    :D

Ironically, flying black top is possibly more forgiving on your paintwork than grit.

9. corned

corned Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    car
    The gritting equipment operators in these parts seem to have latched onto the fact that smaller grade material is less damaging to cars.

The quite fine grit they have used in the last couple of years has been a welcome change from the housebrick-sized ordnance previously deployed! Less likelihood of your car emerging from an overtake looking like that poor Rolls Royce in the Gumball Rally!!

10. Gridlock

Gridlock Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C43 AMG
    A frost was forecast for this weekend?

How fast would you have been on here if it went that way and you'd slipped on your way to work?

There's plenty to hate councils for (including the 3rd world roads we are expected to use) but I'd rather they gritted more than less.

11. Colin_b

Colin_b Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250CDI (C320CDI & SLK350, Sold) & the Trusty Citigo
    Cold and frosty in Cumbria this morning, nice and cold. No evidence of grit or gritters:)

12. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    There is a balance. I think that given the number of times I've seen them grit in the last two years when the forecast doesn't require it on balance I think they're unecessarily overdoing it.

As an ex-biker I reckon the stuff is lethal on the roads when they grit and the stuff turns to paste. So they're exchanging one risk for another. At least as a biker I could figure it was frosty/icy and avoid the roads when the temperatures were low. If they put down slippy stuff when the temperatures are higher then I would be caught.

Gut feel says that the increased gritting is down to liability paranoia rather than actual pragmatism. And that's not a good reason.

13. OP
    OP
    alanf

alanf Active Member

Car:
    SLK 230
    A frost wasn't forecast here. I saw the weather on TV not long before i passed the gritter and it said rain which is what we got, a bit in the afternoon and torrential most of the night.

Alan

14. ringway

ringway MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Bi TDI - A Fantastic Car! Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely! Also R32 & S4.

:D

I got caught big style by the gritters twice in one night at very close range. Not a nice experience. :mad:

15. Palfrem

Palfrem Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
    How unusual for a Council to be wasting our money...

16. Seamster15

Seamster15 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW Z3m & Audi C5 V8
    Our council just spent 259k redeveloping their website.... yet they are cutting services!

17. yachtman

yachtman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    clk 320cdi

I have been doing just this with my works gritter & Shunters this week.

Firstly find the Key!!!

18. richard

richard Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    MY04 SL55, MY18 GLC63s
    I can't see how it is possible to spend that much !! I doubt the 1st version of eBay cost that :)

I hope its not the current Guildford Borough Council - home site - look at their 'online payment system' https://www.guildford.gov.uk/payments/newpay.asp
    that clearly doesnt interface with any back end systems at all and doesnt match anything else. Assuming there is a new site going to appear, I can see why they wanted to update the site - it looks like a very cheap database backed information only site -

R

19. davethemus

davethemus Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    mercedes c280 1999
    you put grit down before the ice and it prevents it, putting grip down when the ice is already there is pointless as salt doesn't melt ice it only stops more from forming.

20. Mr E

Mr E Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    57 W211 E280 AG
    Hmmm - always seems to melt the ice on my path when I put salt on it...