Locating Crankshaft position sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray_hennig

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB 300CE-24 Sportline
Hello All,

First time post here as my old username always refused to allow posts.

For any who know me (or care!) I am rayhennig elsewhere and ray_hennig here - one and the same.

My old 1991 300CE-24 may need a new CPS (crank, NOT cam) and I can trace the cable right througn to where it disappears 'dowm below', near the oil filter.

My garagiste (I'm in France) claims to be unable to find it! He also hates it when I diagnose things.

Other posts have shown it to be down in that region somewhere so, my question is, "Will it be visible when the oil filter housing is removed for the oil change?"

I've got the mysterious stalling problem - always when hot and now very predictably when moving to neutral from drive after a run.

I can say with almost 100% certaintly that this car doesn;t stall when it's cold.

Loads has been replaced, including fuel pumps, fuel accumulator, fuel filter, ICV, distributor cap, rotor, leads and plugs (yes, the recommended Bosch 'plugs ordinaire').

So, given that I have a shining new Hella CPS in the boot, any help in getting it installed would be appreciated.

My best to you all.

RayH

In the side of the main crankcase casting just above the starter motor, facing the flywheel.

Thank you for super-quick response.

Yes, I know where it is from the EPC and work instructions etc. but I never get to see underneath and my man claims he cannot find it.

Do you reckon it'll be visible when the filter housing is removed?

I ask because the diagrams imply that it's above rather then below the centre line of the bell housing.

RayH

It is above. In the diagram you can see the little port for it above the starter hole.

If you look at the EZL ignition unit. The coaxial lead 2 leads to the CPS You should be able to trace it back by feel even if you cant see it. Its held in by a bracket with an allen socket headed bolt.
edit:- you may have a problem with the EZL ignition unit itself- heat sink compound dries out leading to overheating.

Attachments

• ezl.jpg
    ezl.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 127
CPS Replacement

If you look at the EZL ignition unit. The coaxial lead 2 leads to the CPS You should be able to trace it back by feel even if you cant see it. Its held in by a bracket with an allen socket headed bolt.
edit:- you may have a problem with the EZL ignition unit itself- heat sink compound dries out leading to overheating.

My thanks to all for your interest.

I hope there's no EZL problem - I recently removed it and checked heatsink compound. It was good but I added a thin layer on re-assembly and that squeezed out in a satisfying way as I tightened the thing down - I'm confident about the EZL.

Yes, I have traced the cable back to the point where my vast sausage fingers can go no further - near the oil filter housing and heading downwards.

My basic question is, "Can the CPS be replaced from above?"

I've seen others achieve this but on the CE it looks impossible without removing the oil filter housing or more.

Thanks again.

RayH

Last edited:
Looking promising

From this picture I would say its highly unlikely without removing the oil filter housing as you have said!:( You might be able to approach it underneath from the rear over the gearbox bell housing depending on the clearance between the housing and the car body. Some other nice m104 engine pics here.http://www.snapoffracing.com/forums...edes_m104_engine_for_sale_-_package_deal.html

Many thanks for the link to pics. I've done a bit of Photoshop and the result is attached. Is this the little chap we're after?

Mine's got the KE_Jet injection but the rest (around the oil filter) looks the same. Assuming I've identified the correct part, I think we've made great progress.

I'm now hoping that slender gallic fingers will be able to access this more readily than my Anglo-Saxon ones!

My thanks again and I'll keep this forum abreast of how things go.

RayH

Attachments

• CPS1.pdf
    32.2 KB · Views: 31
Yes that's it. I read somewhere the clearance to the flywheel is different on auto and manual boxes. The manual gearbox may have a spacer washer below the bracket so it doesn't protrude quite so far into the casting. The automatic doesn't. This may vary from sensor to sensor/ engine to engine. Worth watching for this when dismantling and checking the new sensor dimensions

edit:- found the reference applies to M103 manual transmission cars with dual mass flywheel (ZMS) post 08/89 so dont know if it applies to a M104 engined manual gearbox car??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom