Lock Down Detailing - Anyone? :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m no detailer, I just enjoy cleaning the car n van. I use AutoGlym products (aqua wax) which I’m guessing are crap compared to what you lot use. :dk:

As already said, if it’s your passion you’re bound to want the nicer/better things in life.

Does anyone actually only use one make of cleaning/detailing product and stick to it religiously, would probably be better in way, changing all the time could send you daft, not to mention expensive. :rolleyes::)

I'm terrible - I've posted numerous pictures of my "product shelf" and it never gets emptier. I get about 1/2 way though and get bored with it and want to try something new.

My all time favourite is Duragloss Aquawax which can be sprayed on as you dry and builds layers if you use a wax friendly shampoo. It is the only product that I've purchased more than once - I actually went through just over 2 bottles of it (I used it on my SLK which was a daily driver and got washed every week) . I gave the remainder to my neighbour (and a 1/2 bottle of Born to be Mild") over the weekend and he is chuffed with how his car looks (although I think he washes his car with fairy liquid).

I like the new TW product line but according to the bottle of "Spray on Ceramic" the 2x coating should last 12 months. If that is true, it will take me 10 years to get through the bottle as you only need a tiny amount.
IMG_0749.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m no detailer, I just enjoy cleaning the car n van. I use AutoGlym products (aqua wax) which I’m guessing are crap compared to what you lot use. :dk:

As already said, if it’s your passion you’re bound to want the nicer/better things in life.

Not used Autoglym (yet) but apparently it is excellent!

I'm terrible - I've posted numerous pictures of my "product shelf" and it never gets emptier. I get about 1/2 way though and get bored with it and want to try something new.

My all time favourite is Duragloss Aquawax which can be sprayed on as you dry and builds layers if you use a wax friendly shampoo. It is only product that I've purchased more than once - I actually went through just over 2 bottles of it. I gave the remainder to my neighbour (and a 1/2 bottle of Born to be Mild") over the weekend and he is chuffed with how his car looks (although I think he washes his car with fairy liquid).

I like the new TW product line but according to the bottle of "Spray on Ceramic" the 2x coating should last 12 months. If that is true, it will take me 10 years to get through the bottle as you only need a tiny amount.
Bl00dy el, Rory :rolleyes: thought I had a lot. :)

Since I'm likely to have more time on my hands, and though not an avid 'detailer' is there any benefit to applying more than one coat of wax, I usually polish once a year then wax it twice a year using Autoglym polish then HD wax.

I think there is a benefit to building layers however being lazy, I use "easy to use" products like the Duragloss Aquawax (apparently Autoglym has something similar).

For the past year I've had a water filter so do not dry my car and I'm buying the new TurtleWax "Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wash and Wax" to keep the "Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating" in good nick.

Does anyone actually only use one make of cleaning/detailing product and stick to it religiously, would probably be better in way, changing all the time could send you daft, not to mention expensive. :rolleyes::)

I do know people that stick with one brand but mostly as they find getting the products off the shelf is easier. I'm quite happy to hunt around on detailing sites or eBay where understandably many will just pop to Halfords and stock up. So often, people will swear by Autoglym or Meguiars and I can't blame them.

If someone said to me you can only use products from one brand, I could definitely keep my cars nice.

I tend to find that i have a preference for say waxes from one brand and polishes from another, sealants for another.

I definitely don't change entire brands in one big hit as like you say that would be costly but I definitely vie towards products and then check out others in the line up if I fancy them. :)

Managed to fully steam underneath of my Mercedes R230 SL vehicle and coat all plastics in Gyeon Q2 Trim coating to keep them protected

Attachments

• 20200402_155654.jpg
    20200402_155654.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200402_155916.jpg
    20200402_155916.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 18

Some of the autoglym products are really good i love the shampoo and the glass polish. The extra gloss protection isn't bad but tends to go off before i finished the bottle so have naturally stopped seeking it out.

I don't keep much in the way of products these days because i like to stick with what works for me, my list contains:

Autoglym, Bilt hamber or Halfords (for the missus car) Shampoo
BH snow foam (shhh Rory lol)
Fusso coat wax
Nano coat polish (amazing stuff)
Meg's ultimate quick detailer for water marks after cleaning i find this is best for black cars.
Meg's tyre gel
Black hole Glaze
BH Korrosol - for body detail
BH alloy wheel cleaner
BH Clay
G3 clay mit
Autoglym leather cleaner - this has lasted for ages
Halfords dash and trim cleaner (Matt)
Autglym polar seal - for the missus car fantastic stuff!

I have Bilt hamber double speed wax for the missus lighter colour car but i find it isn't that great for black, fusso coat is much better seems to give better longevity too.

I can't really think of anything else. I'm still working so haven't been able to indulge in detailing my car as much as i would love to and even though we have a nice four days off over the plan is to stay in catch on on sleep and spend time with the kids.

I've order my two boxes of Big K stick charcoal (hopefully arriving today), will clean up and my Greek rotisserie BBQ, whip the pool out for the kids and enjoy the weather from the safety of home.

Since I'm likely to have more time on my hands, and though not an avid 'detailer' is there any benefit to applying more than one coat of wax, I usually polish once a year then wax it twice a year using Autoglym polish then HD wax.
Anyone?

Yes, a couple of layers will mean that it will last a little longer, and coverage is more likely to be more complete. It’s not necessary as the benefit isn’t doubled by adding the second coat, but if you have the time and resources then why not.

Yum, land chops rotating over charcoal, my favourite.

Having a bit of trouble find lamb at the moment for the weekend lol.

Managed to get some diced lamb last week and have a few pork chops and chicken i can't wait to get home tonight. :D

Bobby pretty covered it there, the only benefit to applying more than one coat in my opinion is ensuring a nice even coat and better coverage in case an area was missed.

You can build on a layer but can't layer on a layer if that makes sense.

Exactly as the guys have said, a couple of layers 24 hours apart means a good even coverage.

It's usually considered that 2-3 layers is the most you'd apply on a wax, they don't literally just keep building up and up.

Having a bit of trouble find lamb at the moment for the weekend lol.

Managed to get some diced lamb last week and have a few pork chops and chicken i can't wait to get home tonight. :D

Souvla

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom