Locked out of Boot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA2

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
I keep my SL on a trickler. Unfortunately I have two tricklers in the boot. Numptie that I am I seem to have connected the wrong one.

I've done this once before, but it wasn't a problem as I was able to open the boot with the key. No such luck this time. For some reason the key will not open the boot. (Why oh why can't the battery be in the engine compartment:mad:) Anyway....what's to be done? Best idea I've been given do far is to link up a trickler via the fuse box to get a small current, hopefully enough to power the electric switch and open the boot. Anybody got any bright ideas? Iirc there's no access from inside the cabin, I seem to recall something about access via the back light but I'm so sure that would help.

All suggestions (especially one that works) welcome.

Thanks.

Have you tried the emergency manual key (the small metal key the slots out of the remote) ?

Not sure what you mean. My emergency key is the credit card type key. it's the same as the blade on my fob key.

Most boot locks get stiff due to under use as we all use the RF key. Spray some teflon(or wd40 if you have to) into the lock and work it back and forth with the blade, it should release if you persist.

Most boot locks get stiff due to under use as we all use the RF key. Spray some teflon(or wd40 if you have to) into the lock and work it back and forth with the blade, it should release if you persist.

The key is going into the lock no bother and can turn in both directions, ie slightly to the left and more to the right. However when turned and pressed, it does not release the catch. :dk: Do you think spray will assist in these circs?

Just occurred to me it might be possible to trickle it vis the cigar lighter, anybody know if this might work?

Sorry, I didn't know that you can turn the key left and right. one would assume in that case that the barrel is not jammed.

Why not get under the front of the car. put a earth jumper to a spare battery, and connect a 12v bulb to the spare battery positive terminal, and use the other side of the bulb to connect to the starter power feed. Your applying power via the bulb so that if you accidentally earth out the connection, the worst that should happen is the bulb will light up, no big nasty sparks.

Just occurred to me it might be possible to trickle it vis the cigar lighter, anybody know if this might work?

is your lighter socket normally powered on permanent? if so, you could just power up from there and then have full access via your normal remote key to open the boot.

is your lighter socket normally powered on permanent? if so, you could just power up from there and then have full access via your normal remote key to open the boot.

That's what I don't know, I think it's powered on in position one. If I can get some power in I can open it either with the switch in the cabin or the remote.

That's what I don't know, I think it's powered on in position one. If I can get some power in I can open it either with the switch in the cabin or the remote.

most are, but failing that, stater motor as above. Or even the jump point under the bonnet

Or even the jump point under the bonnet??

Not sure about your model. But on the near side of the bonnet, I have a junction box that can be used to jump start the car.

EDIT
just checked, on the pre 2000 my there is no additional jump start under the bonnet
END EDIT

Last edited:
The key is going into the lock no bother and can turn in both directions, ie slightly to the left and more to the right. However when turned and pressed, it does not release the catch. :dk: Do you think spray will assist in these circs?

You still have to pull the release as well as turn the key - just turning and pushing will NOT open the lock

you need to insert the key, turn the key with one hand, and with the other hand pull the normal release handle, the lock should then release

you need to insert the key, turn the key with one hand, and with the other hand pull the normal release handle, the lock should then release

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean. In my car, to open the boot, you insert the key, turn it clockwise, push it in and the boot opens. There is no release handle that I am aware of, the alternatives are to use the remote or the cabin switch, neither of these two options are available without power.

My apologies Ian, it seems your car is rather earlier than mine, and yes, the lock does sound quite different - regrettably I can offer no more on this problem, other than to wish you best of luck, sooner than later !

My apologies Ian, it seems your car is rather earlier than mine, and yes, the lock does sound quite different - regrettably I can offer no more on this problem, other than to wish you best of luck, sooner than later !

The clue my dear Dr Watson is in my signature SL60 '97 :D:D

Do you have a little black box under bonnet like in picture?

Dec

527006d1373817592-cable-box-charge-point.jpg

EDIT
just checked, on the pre 2000 my there is no additional jump start under the bonnet
END EDIT

Pre 2000 what models? I ask as there are some posts on other boards about connection points both in the cabin (driver's footwell) and under the bonnet in 129's of '95 vintage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom