Locked out of ML270cdi 2005

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cbell

Car
ML270cdi
Mercedes ML270cdi 2005, doors won't open with remote or drivers' key. Battery flat I guess - haven't used the car for some time(garaged) How do I access the car? No manual key access on this model. Other than damage the car, is there a way to open the door locks/hood to change/charge the battery?
thanks cabell

There is a manual key access on the drivers door.

There is a manual key access on the drivers door.

Doesn't work as the driver's door also requires electrical power. It seems impossible to access the car without any power.

Not to open it with the blade it doesn't.

Can you get underneath the car and attach another battery to the starter motor positive terminal and to a part of the chassis using jump leads?

As the starter is fed from the battery would this give you power to use the remote if the manual lock is seized ?

Last edited:
Can you get underneath the car and attach another battery to the starter motor positive terminal and to a part of the chassis using jump leads?

As the starter is fed from the battery would this give you power to use the remote if the manual lock is seized ?

If I can remove the cover plate under the engine, this may be the best idea.
Will try tomorrow and let you know. Thanks

Doesn't work as the driver's door also requires electrical power. It seems impossible to access the car without any power.

The blade is incorrect then and not for your car, the only thing you can do here is as dms10000 said find a way of getting 12v to the starter cable.

If I can remove the cover plate under the engine, this may be the best idea.
Will try tomorrow and let you know. Thanks

Getting power connections onto the starter motor was the definitive answer. Thanks to everyone who offered advice, much appreciated.

Getting power connections onto the starter motor was the definitive answer. Thanks to everyone who offered advice, much appreciated.

Glad you got in but your blade key should have worked and saved you the hassle.

Glad you got in but your blade key should have worked and saved you the hassle.

Once power was restored today, the driver's door lock works. So the lock requires some backup electrical power to operate, which means there cannot be any "manual" access without some residual power. The driver's door lock is there to be used, if the remote keys fail to work( remote key battery failure perhaps). Getting power connections onto the starter motor was the definitive answer. Again thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

That's not correct. Even a dead flat battery shouldn't stop the lock from manually operating.

That's not correct. Even a dead flat battery shouldn't stop the lock from manually operating.[/QUO

not same car but my clk had flat battery...drivers door opened with blade type key....

So the lock requires some backup electrical power to operate, which means there cannot be any "manual" access without some residual power.

Simply not true, the whole point of providing the blade key is to stop you being locked out of the car if there is an electrical problem or flat battery.

Who would design a car otherwise?

Russ

When my S320CDI's battery went flat, I used the blade key insert within the remote fob and it worked fine. So the ML's key should have worked fine too. If you're saying it doesn't work without power then it might be worth having it checked out, as it sounds like there is some fault somewhere.

You can order just the blade part from Mercedes... I did for my old W211 E320 CDI, it was about £35 I think.

Highly unlikely that he has the wrong blade. The ML has the flick out style key and I doubt very much that the blade has been changed. Very likely his lock is jammed due to never using it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom