Locking making weird noises - W124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J-Scho

Car
300TE (W124)
My central locking has been making a sort of whining/whistling sound for a little while now. The sound seems to come from the general area of the fuel door. It never does it on locking, but makes this sound for like 20 seconds on un-locking.

Then the other day I un-locked the car and there was a short but fairly loud clunking/grinding sound from the same general area before the whistling noise started.

Does this mean my central locking pump is on its way out? Or is it just a problem with the fuel door lock? Is it fixable or do I have to shell out on a new lock or pump?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

It's a 1995 E280 by the way.

Mine did the same so i sprayed some grease onto the fuel locking components and it's done the trick. Looks like it'd dried up and the bolt wasnt coming across properly.

I'd try that first, although the pump is in this area so if it doesnt stop it you might need to delve deeper.....

Just had a quick look at dinner time and tried locking and un-locking the car with the fuel door open. The loud clunky noise does seem to be the fuel door lock, so i'll try spraying some grease down the end of it (or can it be removed entirely from inside the boot so I can overhaul it?)

The whistling/whining noise must be the pump I guess, if this is located near the same area. Any ideas what's up with that and how it can be cured?

Their may be a vac leak on thet pipe or actuator. But as stated those pins get dry or rub on side.

Bazzle

It will likely be the diaphram broken/split in the flap module itself - mine went.

I accessed module from boot area and replaced with new one at about £13 new from Merc.

Latest price may be more as this was a couple of years ago.

/\/\ what he said

there's a black cylindrical thing with a red or yellow button on top that lets you manually open the flap which sits behind the boot panel - open the boot and the whistle will get louder :)

To remove it there is a clip on the back you have to gently pry open and then lift it off. Once you get the new one, it will be obvious how the old one comes off - it takes about 10 minutes to fit

I paid just over a tenner for mine a few months back

Andy

Last edited:
Fantastic, thank you very much for that!

It finally stopped raining long enough for me to pull the carpet off the side of the boot and the whistling is indeed much louder in there! It's definitely coming from the fuel door actuator so I'll get one ordered. Looks like a bit of a pain to access as it's right behind a sheet of bracing but I'm sure it'll become clear.

Thanks again everybody! :D :bannana: :rock:

make sure you get the pinguide/actuator mounting at the same time. Its cheap and plastic and you may break it when you remove the actuator

Last edited:
I had exactly same problem and after a couple of weeks the rear doors wouldn't unlock aswell.

Had Petrol Cap Lock replaced by I.Walker today, quick job, this has resolved all my problems:D including the rear door locks

I'd just like to say thank you very much to you all for your help!

It's fixed now. The new actuator (£20) and guide (£2) were easy to fit after breaking the old ones getting them out!!!

Wd40?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom