Locking Wheel Nuts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuffolkSifter

Car
ML350
My 2012 w166 ML350 didn't have locking wheel nuts when I bought it. The wheels are really nice AMG 265/40 R21 rims that where refurbished, they look the dogs...

My question is.... should I have locking nuts?

do you mean should they be on the car already or should you buy them. Answer to both is prbably yes.

That tyre size is odd for those wheels! :dk: Just about to post some locking nuts up in the classifieds if you are interested? Feel free to pm me.

Locking wheel nuts were always a dealer fit, wheels don't come from the factory with security bolts.
Alloy wheel theft is quite rare these days as they are so common. Security bolts can and do seize on and be a real pain to remove, impossible at the roadside (unless you're tooled up to steal wheels!).

Should you have them? That's a matter between you and your insurers.

21in rims, they had 265/40 R21 Conti Contact all round, why odd size?

Yes, just wanted to know should I have locking nuts, my past cars had them, just feel a little naked without them ;)

I know nothing about what type of locking nuts I need.

What is the wheel nut torque?

Last edited:
Locking wheel nuts are an obvious deterrent but will only deter the casual thief as a pro will come equipped to get them off.

They can be a curse if overtightened by the trade.

Locking wheel nuts are an obvious deterrent but will only deter the casual thief as a pro will come equipped to get them off.

They can be a curse if overtightened by the trade.
My mate who has loads of Mercs says not to bother with locking nuts. He said it's got an alarm and being jacked up will set it off.

My mate who has loads of Mercs says not to bother with locking nuts. He said it's got an alarm and being jacked up will set it off.
Check with your insurer, they may require security bolts to be fitted

The Merc ones are a pain, the guys at my local tyre depo had a right game when I had 2 tyres changed couple of weeks ago, they were so tight after they were over tightened by the previous fitter. When I got home I checked the other 2 wheels and promptly snapped the key internals as they were also over tightened. Luckily I had the key code and MB had it in stock for £35, would have never got the wheels off on the roadside.

I no longer have the car, so my set is for sale too: new locking key bought from MB Northampton in 2018, used only couple of times.
Boxed, full set - p/n B6 647 0144
:cool:

It's an easy job to obtain the correct replacement locker key.
A tyre dealer damaged the locking wheel nut on the coupe about 18 mths ago, I took it to the local dealer & the storeman came out with a box of numbered locker keys, it was a simple trial & error until we found the correct fit. The whole time spent was approx. 20 mins & replacement cost was £32 + vat.

Reactions: GLK
Tyre shop snapped two of the security bolts on my CLS55 trying to undo them., it was they who tightened them up 11 months previously...
There was no discussion, they simply went to the local Merc dealer and bought 4 new bolts, no cost to me (and no inconvenience either!)

Reactions: GLK
Not worth the potential grief of locking bolts if they ever get over tightened or the key gets damaged removing them.

Cant remember the last time i read about a complete set of wheels being taken and the car left on bricks , probably easier to just blag the entire car and remove them at their leisure. The hot items at the moment are airbags / iDrive displays / performance steering wheels / tail lights , things that can be transported or concealed easily .

I have 21" Turbo 2 alloys on the Cayenne and it looks like someone had already removed the security bolts for the reasons above.

K

Last edited:
I have 21" Turbo 2 alloys on the Cayenne and i removed the security bolts for the reasons above.
No issues with your insurer?

Alloy wheel theft is quite rare - but then pretty much all cars have locking wheel bolts fitted, perhaps self explanatory :)

Bearing in mind that sets of wheels on many MBs can cost £3000-5000+, and tyres anywhere from £500-1000 or more then it’s probably worth the deterrent factor of a set of locking bolts, even if just to deter a casual thief or slow them down.

Cars had four previous owners over the last eight years , any one of them could have taken them off as mentioned in my edited post ;)

K
Does you insurer require the car to have security bolts on the alloy wheels?

I'd agree and we had that very discussion about removing locking wheel bolts earlier today.

Conclusion was since we will now only ever deliver the wheels to the Tyre Fitter we don't have a problem as we hve a massive Teng 3/4" torque wrench we use ourselves. ;)
Surprising how little force is needed for ~130Nm

If using tyre fitter = No lock nut

Thanks for your time and all your info 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom