Locking wheelbolt key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK55 AMG
I just tried to take a wheel off and discovered that my locking wheelbolt key is wrecked. It doesn't even slightly resemble the shape of the lock and it's all twisted and ground up. How many combinations of locks/keys are there? If I post a picture of one of the bolts, do you think it's possible that someone might have a key I can borrow, or if they have the certificate I can order a new key for them. I have another set of OEM locking wheelbolts with key in perfect condition to swap once I've taken them off.

Any help would be appreciated!

Here is the lock:

EDIT: binned the pic now it's going to be sorted :)

Last edited:
...post a pic and I'll compare with mine. . . . don't know what the chances are though - I imagine there are more than a few combinations !! Does the key have a number on it ?

S.

Originally posted by sym
...post a pic and I'll compare with mine. . . . don't know what the chances are though - I imagine there are more than a few combinations !! Does the key have a number on it ?
I posted a pic :)

The key has no number on it, neither does my barely-used key. I reckon someone tried to use a hydraulic thing and ruined it.

Attachments

• boltkey.jpg
    boltkey.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 324
post pic of the head of your bolts - rather than the key.

S.

Originally posted by sym
post pic of the head of your bolts - rather than the key.
Please see my first post for a pic of one of the bolts ;)

One of my plans was to line the lock up with the key (as best I can - the key looks nothing like the lock!) and then hammer it until it fits ;) . That *might* work. Other ideas are needed I think, that's kind of a last resort really.

you're right - its too mangled to even try and compare it !

.......I'm sure there are ways and means of removing these security bolts without the keys, but even if I knew how, I wouldn't post it on a public forum !! Might be worth a call to the stealer.

otherwise . . . get the hammer out . . . . . :devil:

I would guess that there are going to be an awful lot of combinations and it will be very fortunat if someone else has a key that fits exactly.

Sooner than hammer the key on which could cause damage surely using a stud extractor tool would be a better idea?

Andy

Rang the parts chaps at Whitefield.

There are only 30 combinations of locking wheel bolt! :eek: They said to try to find the certificate, if I can find it they can order a new key to arrive Wednesday, otherwise they have two master keys which can take any off, one in their 24 hour Mobilo van and one in the workshop. I am going to visit them tomorrow :)

Thanks for all the ideas guys :)

Another tip:

HAve you ever seen those wrenches advertised on sky- they fit any bolt head. They have like lots of little pins so they fit any size or shape....

Get one of those, will open any locking nut...

Jay

i thought mine didnt have one, but they tried all 30 till they found one that fit and ordered it!, i then found it under the spare tyre!

Originally posted by Alps
i thought mine didnt have one, but they tried all 30 till they found one that fit and ordered it!, i then found it under the spare tyre!
lol typical! ;)

Originally posted by Alps
when i went for my last set of tyres i sat and watched this dozy bugger take everything out my boot looking for the locking nut (i'd already told them where it was :rolleyes: ). He then became fascinated with the wee air compressor so i put him out his misery.

Last edited:
Originally posted by jaymanek
Another tip:

Have you ever seen those wrenches advertised on sky- they fit any bolt head. They have like lots of little pins so they fit any size or shape....

Get one of those, will open any locking nut...

Jay

Think its called "gator grip".

One of the whitefield parts guys kindly lent me a decent key to loosen the wheel bolt. Sadly that is now also destroyed and so is the lock. I have to visit a company called "lockstitch" in Rochdale, a little engineering firm recommended by the stealership, they are going to drill the bolts out for me next week. Grr! It's always the little things isn't it? :(

I had heard from someone( this is most likely rubbish) that if you get a socket slightly bigger than the locking wheel bolt , hammer it over it and it will let you get the wheels with a 5 finger discount. :bannana:

JUst saying ....

Originally posted by fuzzer
I had heard from someone( this is most likely rubbish) that if you get a socket slightly bigger than the locking wheel bolt , hammer it over it and it will let you get the wheels with a 5 finger discount. :bannana:
The locking bolt is a circle shape though, so nothing will grip it! :(

I still say you could get them out on your own armed with a drill and a stud extractor - not expensive and certainly not a hard job :)

Andy

Originally posted by andy_k
I still say you could get them out on your own armed with a drill and a stud extractor - not expensive and certainly not a hard job :)
What exactly is a "stud extractor"? :)

I'm guessing it is a self tapping bolt with a reversed thread??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom