Loft lagging grant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
I've just had this total stranger up my loft telling me that my 4 inches of insulation isn't enough and that I'm elligible for 80% grant for having 11inches of lagging. I did a bit of research and I read 50% grants available as I don't get any benefits help etc. Is this just a scam??

No, there are lots of grants available for various things like new boilers, loft insulation, cavity wall insulation etc.

I'm always a bit suspect of the way that this stuff is sold.

I had a guy around the house last year who got a bit stroppy when I refused to sign up on the spot.

I once knew of a feller who made a fortune doing this, then went bust some time later.

I am also considering having the house done but won't buy from the amateur, hard sale guys.

There are some amazing grants/discounts around. We just had cavity wall insulation done for £99 (the whole house - 4 bed detached). Not simple either - mostly foam, but one side had to be done with blown fibre put down from the loft.

Look on the B&Q website. They'll do pretty much any size loft for £197. This is on a carbon offset basis:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?fh_eds=%3f&fh_reffacet=categories&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372016}/categories%3C{9372050}/categories%3C{9372232}&fh_refview=summary&fh_refpath=facet_159016185

This firm said our large loft would cost £1000 to upgrade but that with an 80% grant it would cost just £200!.........

The upgrading is the correct thing to do. The price, £200, is the correct price to pay.

I got Cavity Wall Insulation for £109 and Loft Insulation topped up for £109 - 3 bedroom detached. That was a couple of years ago when all the grants were just comin out.
The guy that lives next door to my parents goes round door to door trying to get people to sign up, think his deal is £120 each if not on benefits, I believe he get £25 for each sign up.

My parents got their loft done for free (over 65s?).

The downside was I had to go and clear it out for them first!

+ it makes a huge difference.

I did mine with help from dad and boarded it out also, it must be 11" deep with an inch of wood ontop. Put our heating on for an hr if you come back and the house is cold and its too hot after the hr...

Well worth doing.

I wish someone could insulate my floor. :mad:

The ground floor is basically chipboard flooring (under laminate and its underlay) and then a 1 meter airgap and then ground. There's no insulation at all and the floor is absolutely freezing in winter.

I've not yet seen a product that I could use for this type of problem.

I wish someone could insulate my floor. :mad:

The ground floor is basically chipboard flooring (under laminate and its underlay) and then a 1 meter airgap and then ground. There's no insulation at all and the floor is absolutely freezing in winter.

I've not yet seen a product that I could use for this type of problem.

Take the floor up, nail roofing battens to the underside of the joists crossways, get yourself some sheets of Jablite (Polystyrene insulation), cut them into strips to fit between the joists level upto the top and re-lay the floor, job done.:)

That sounds easy but its one hell of a big job :eek:

Partition walls would have to come down, skirting boards off, kitchen out... maybe even removal of the stairs... basically we'd need to gut the ground floor of the house.

Much rather squirt 1 meter deep foam insulation down there or something :D

Take the floor up, nail roofing battens to the underside of the joists crossways, get yourself some sheets of Jablite (Polystyrene insulation), cut them into strips to fit between the joists level upto the top and re-lay the floor, job done.:)

Any tips for making concrete floors a bit warmer?

We plan on replacing nearly all the carpet over the next few years and also the doors (no need to worry about planing them)

Ta

Partition walls would have to come down, skirting boards off, kitchen out... maybe even removal of the stairs... basically we'd need to gut the ground floor of the house.

Get under the floor and do it from there. One metre is enough room. I know...I've done it.

Any tips for making concrete floors a bit warmer?

We plan on replacing nearly all the carpet over the next few years and also the doors (no need to worry about planing them)

Ta

You can lay Jablite straight down on concrete floors and then lay your floor on top or you can buy chipboard flooring with insulation already attached, called a floating floor.:)

How does cavity wall insulation work in a flat ?

I live on the ground floor of a two storey block ( built late 60's ) ... if they squirt it in on my level will it not just expand to the other levels or is there a bit inside that seperates each level ?

Quite fancy having it done .... Bill where did you get yours done for £99 ?

Do it from underneath then. If you have a 1 meter gap thats plenty to be able to get under the floor, cut the jablite in between the joists and nail the battens on after.:)

This has me looking now. My loft is mostly boarded. The insulation isn't bad, but not 11 inches either. Too much hassle to change that, but the cavity wall insulation I should perhaps do.

Lots of choice of grant supplier it seems. How did you choose? What was involved, mess, damage etc? Were you confident it was done correctly?

TIA

Bill where did you get yours done for £99 ?
There was an ad. in the local paper, company called Instafoam & Fibre Ltd working in conjunction with the local council.

I'd kept a flyer from them that came through the letterbox earlier in the year ... price on that was £199, which I thought was OK. But £99 was better :D

They were very good ... took two guys about 3 hours. All their profit must come from whatever grant/subsidy they receive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom