Log burning stove flue linning costs? anyone changed a Gas to Dual fuel stove?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

We are looking at changing our current Gas 'coal' look fire for a real log burner.

I've been told (from a fireplace / stove supplier) that I don't Need a liner but would rather have one for piece of mind.

Any idea what one would cost to fit to a std chimney 2 story building?

Has anyone else changed a gas fire to a dual fuel stove?

Thanks

they are about 250 quid and if you and a mate can get onto the roof they are reasonably cumbersome to stuff down the hole.

I have often wondered if you could drag / shove one up the chimney. Maybe worth a try?

-----------
edit
whoops gas - your flue almost certainly already has a liner.

Is your gas fire open to the room or concealed behind glass?
If open to the room then it probably has a class 1 flue which I believe is suitable for wood burner. Not sure of the flue classification for a sealed gas fire.
You could check with your local council building regulations department - they usually give free friendly advice.
If you do need to fit a new liner I would think you would need to pull it through with a rope - either up or down.
Local metalworks is offering complete installation - liner stove & fitting for about £1500. The stoves they supply are Saltfire

edit - different stoves require different diameter flues - check the requirement of your chosen stove & compare to your existing liner

Last edited:
Thanks,

The current gas fire is open to the room.

Will have to get some quotes as buying the stove is the easy bit.. Need to have the Gas capped off, remove current fire / surround. Knock through if not already to open rear of chimney and then make it look nice for the stove to sit in front of.

few things to sort but thinking a log fire for winter :)

I got my open gas fire relplaced with a solid fuel one a few years back and was told that the only alteration was to replace the cowl on top of the chimney stack with a coventional chimney pot. I'd advise to get your chimney swept first, this is a job some builders do and perhaps he'll be able to drop the flue-liner in as well.

I've done this a couple of times to two houses we have in France.

Do fit a quality stainless tube on your log burner. It will aid the draw and give a better burn.

Do have your chimney swept before you put the tube in. You need to remove all the debris that may catch fire.

Remember most chimneys have a kink in them. The tubes are reasonably flexible and do normally pass the kink ok.

You should not need to install it from the top. Straighten the tube as much as possible and feed up the chimney, twisting to pass obstacles.

Ensure it goes all the way to the top of the chimney.

Lastly seal off the fireplace to stop drafts coming down the chimney. How you do this depends on whether your installation is flush with the wall or inset, either way it'll involve a large round hole in it and a finisher.

Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention, my asumption is that by 'log burner' you mean a steel one with glazed doors and 150mm diameter pipe, or thereabouts, coming out of it.

they are about 250 quid and if you and a mate can get onto the roof they are reasonably cumbersome to stuff down the hole.

I have often wondered if you could drag / shove one up the chimney. Maybe worth a try?

-----------
edit
whoops gas - your flue almost certainly already has a liner.

You do not push it down......you pull it up but as you say it should already have a lining. Ideally you will want the void between the chimney and the liner filled with vermiculite.

Mic

Last edited:
Having recently fitted a multi fuel stove with help fro my mate who is a registered fitter. First do not buy a cheap liner i did against my mates advice and guess what it came a part when we hit the first bend in the stack, lucky i got my money back. The flue is fitted from the roof down, drop a line down one will feed it down from the roof with someone inside pulling. Be prepared to open up the chimney breast in case the liner gets stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom