London again on 1st December. Drive or Fly.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
On 1st December, my work takes me to London again, Esher to be precise.

Option 1:
My first reaction to this was "Wey Hey! I get to drive my 210 for 6-7 hours" and back home for 5.00pm. Fuel cost £55.00

Option2:
I then thought about flying. Land at Heathrow for 11.00am, survey finished by 1.00pm and then 6, hours to kill in the London. Fly home and land at 9.40pm. Combined cost of flights is £110.00

If I drive, I'll most likely catch a traffic jam...

If I fly, I'll have time to partake in some sightseeing, go to Campden Market and maybe even get aboard the Astoria recording studio on the Thames (can this be done?) and there will be no concerns about the congestion zone, parking, safety of my pride and joy..

Unlike some, I do have a real liking for London and I'd welcome any recommendations for sightseeing etc. I wouldn't be interested in art galleries or museums but apart from that I'm open to suggestions. Anyone fancy a meet up for lunch..

Even if I do fly on the 1st December, I'll probably have to drive to return for the installation on the 10th December.

All suggestions and ideas welcomed.

TIA.

Paul.

If your going to be in Esher, I would recommend a trip to MB World. Regards method of transport, I am not sure with the threat of snow, most forms of public transport will be effected.

Esher is not really in London so whilst fast trains move you relatively easily but moving locally could be a pain. I'd take the car.

If you're going to Esher drive and enjoy the quality time listening to the radio in the car. It'll be faster and much more relaxing, I always find public transport exhausting.
Back in the early 00's I used to regularly commute to Preston on a Monday morning from my home in Sussex which was about 40 minutes from Gatwick, onm the face of it the plane was a no brainer....until you worked out it took longer and was more expensive.
The problem is not the flight but all the stuff either side of it, parking the car, getting there an hour before take off, picking up a hire car the other end...
Drive, leave at 8, comfort stop at Warwick services, Esher comfortably by 1130, and as you said, "back home for 5"

My thoughts:

I'm thinking - arrive at Heathrow, minicab to Esher, do your survey, another cab (or bus - can't think of the top of my head which number) to Hampton Court to visit the studio, then train to central London to Waterloo, do your sightseeing - working your way up over the river through Bloomsbury/bits of the West End towards Camden Market, then another bus ride/taxi to Paddington for the Heathrow Express. It seems a lot to pack in if you just have six hours, and there's also the cost of getting to and from the airport, and you'll be restricted with when your flight leaves.

On the other hand taking the car offers the flexibility to leave when you like, I'd suggest parking it around the area, maybe at Mercedes Benz World, and take the bus/train in and out of central London. I think it could work out cheaper.

Remember, due to the weather - fog/rain/wind etc, it is often the domestic flights which are more likely to be cancelled/delayed.

Am I alone in being underwhelmed by MB World? There's enough to see in C. London to occupy you for months, let alone 1 day & most of it's more interesting than MBW.

Depending on what time you need to be there & where you need to be for work I'd take the train to Euston. Less than 2 hours from W'low & less than £55 return if you book 2 single trips in advance. No traffic jams, no £8 per hour parking & far less hassle.
trainline: buy cheap train tickets, get UK train times & fares - book seats online

My thoughts:

I'm thinking - arrive at Heathrow, minicab to Esher, do your survey, another cab (or bus - can't think of the top of my head which number) to Hampton Court to visit the studio, then train to central London to Waterloo, do your sightseeing - working your way up over the river through Bloomsbury/bits of the West End towards Camden Market, then another bus ride/taxi to Paddington for the Heathrow Express. It seems a lot to pack in if you just have six hours, and there's also the cost of getting to and from the airport, and you'll be restricted with when your flight leaves.

On the other hand taking the car offers the flexibility to leave when you like, I'd suggest parking it around the area, maybe at Mercedes Benz World, and take the bus/train in and out of central London. I think it could work out cheaper.

Remember, due to the weather - fog/rain/wind etc, it is often the domestic flights which are more likely to be cancelled/delayed.

This proposal is all a bit vague to my mind. For example, you haven't said what make of car the minicab should be and at which end of Camden Market should you start browsing. And as for not knowing the correct number of the bus!! I want to know which seat Ringway should sit on, never mind the bus number.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Gilmour's boat is not open to tourists.

I'm just a few miles from Esher and the thought of getting there from Heathrow by public transport brings me out in hives. That's on top of the rubber glove treatment at the airports, courtesy of America's War on Freedom.

You've got one of the finest cars on the planet, made for burning up the miles.

Stay local. A quick visit to MB World, then up the road to Hampton Court. A visit to the palace and grounds is a must. The Tudor Kitchens in the old part, and the Prince of Wales Rooms in the newer bit are not to be missed.

And if you fancy a pint (or soft drink as you're driving), send me a PM.

Last edited:
Hey ringway, don't see your option of flying and sightseeing as a viable option, I sorry to say. a quick look at tfl.gov.uk will tell you that for instance the journey from esher to camden will take approx 1 and a 1/2 hrs, then the trip from Camden to heathrow a further 1 and a 1/4 hoursadd this to the time you need to be at heathrow for check in, sounds to me unless you are a underground enthusiast I can't see whats in it for you. as mentioned could be a goer if you use the train. if you choose to do that let us know what you re interested in and I am sure recommendations will come flooding in

I'm pretty sure Mr. Gilmour's boat is not open to tourists.

I'm just a few miles from Esher and the thought of getting there from Heathrow by public transport brings me out in hives. That's on top of the rubber glove treatment at the airports, courtesy of America's War on Freedom.

You've got one of the finest cars on the planet, made for burning up the miles.

Stay local. A quick visit to MB World, then up the road to Hampton Court. A visit to the palace and grounds is a must. The Tudor Kitchens in the old part, and the Prince of Wales Rooms in the newer bit are not to be missed.

And if you fancy a pint (or soft drink as you're driving), send me a PM.

Sounds good to me and I'm sure I could manage some of the sights and take a drink with you Stratman. I'll send a PM later. :thumb:

The Astoria visit was wishful thinking. :)

Many thanks.

Paul.

Last time I went to central London I went on the train

7:30 from Solihull (10 minutes from home), Marylebone in two and a bit hours, Tube (20 minutes) actual work 3 hours. Kill two hours in shops. Back home by 18:45 Cost £93

Time before I drove. Nightmare. Never again.

Why would anyone over the age of 16 want to go to Camden Market unless you are buying stuff for kids with a keen interest in the gothic :D

Drive - I'd skirt London as much as possible and come into Esher using the M6, M40, M25 as its a pain to get to through the city. If you can move the time a bit to give you an early start you'll miss the rush hour. Avoid anything inside the M25 between 7.30am and 10am and 4pm and 7pm as it will add an hour to your journey.

Visit to Hampton Court if you've time and then drive back.

I do a Monday commute to Nottingham and back every week, its 6 hours in the car and I while away the kid/work free time listening to radio whilst trundling along.

I'm also seeing a lot of my family in South Cheshire linked to the above. The M40 is way quieter than the M1 and out of rush hour, the M6 toll road is not required.

Ade

Why would anyone over the age of 16 want to go to Camden Market unless you are buying stuff for kids with a keen interest in the gothic :D

Drive - I'd skirt London as much as possible and come into Esher using the M6, M40, M25 as its a pain to get to through the city. If you can move the time a bit to give you an early start you'll miss the rush hour. Avoid anything inside the M25 between 7.30am and 10am and 4pm and 7pm as it will add an hour to your journey.

Visit to Hampton Court if you've time and then drive back.

I do a Monday commute to Nottingham and back every week, its 6 hours in the car and I while away the kid/work free time listening to radio whilst trundling along.

I'm also seeing a lot of my family in South Cheshire linked to the above. The M40 is way quieter than the M1 and out of rush hour, the M6 toll road is not required.

Ade

I like Camden Market. It's a giggle, full of all sorts of characters. :D

I agree with the M6/M40/M25 route. I went that way in June and it was a nice journey, although on the return leg I foolishly went using M1 which was a nightmare.

Thanks Ade.

On 1st December, my work takes me to London again, Esher to be precise.

Option 1:
My first reaction to this was "Wey Hey! I get to drive my 210 for 6-7 hours" and back home for 5.00pm. Fuel cost £55.00

Option 3

Drive down and do what you need to do in Esher, and then have a mini GTG at a decent pub with your forum chums in Surrey/SW London.

Aye dodge the "1" and take the M40, nice run.

**** flying, terribly unpleasant experience and you have a nice big Merc to run.

Next week, me:

Leave Glasgow at 4pm on Friday, arrive in Banbury about 11pm. GTG the next day, a lot of food. Sunday, Leave for Weybridge, meet in Weybridge at 1pm. M40 and M25 to get there. After lunch, M25, M40, M6, M74, and M8 home. Leave Weybridge around 3 or 4pm, meet a friend on the way up in Lancs. Arrive home at 1am.

Looking forward to it, yes.

If I was flying I'd be having nightmares about bad food, delays, danger etc.

My Mercedes is the ONLY way to do it.

If you're going to Esher drive and enjoy the quality time listening to the radio in the car. It'll be faster and much more relaxing, I always find public transport exhausting.
Back in the early 00's I used to regularly commute to Preston on a Monday morning from my home in Sussex which was about 40 minutes from Gatwick, onm the face of it the plane was a no brainer....until you worked out it took longer and was more expensive.
The problem is not the flight but all the stuff either side of it, parking the car, getting there an hour before take off, picking up a hire car the other end...
Drive, leave at 8, comfort stop at Warwick services, Esher comfortably by 1130, and as you said, "back home for 5"

Agreed. I used to take a trip from Manchester to Bristol on a regular basis, and found driving was the best way to keep me awake and interest me at the same time. I learnt German the year i did that trip. Dorset is another i'll be starting soon, so i think i'll try Spanish this time. :D

Option 3

Drive down and do what you need to do in Esher, and then have a mini GTG at a decent pub with your forum chums in Surrey/SW London.

Sounds good to me if anyone's up for it. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom