London again on 1st December. Drive or Fly.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Aye, A good idea, I am down for the Weybridge Lunch on the Sunday 5th. Paul, delay the trip by a few days and you can go.

If I could delay until the 5th I would mate, it'd be good to meet up. :)

On 1st December, my work takes me to London again, Esher to be precise.

Option 1:
My first reaction to this was "Wey Hey! I get to drive my 210 for 6-7 hours" and back home for 5.00pm. Fuel cost £55.00.

Isn't 40p a mile a deciding factor as well for the drive option if it is business travel? I have about 900 miles ahead of me next week. Mon - Manchester, Tue - Cambridge and Wed - Uxbridge, so definately a drive option for me.

Indecision.

The weather will hold the key to this trip.

If it's snowing, I'm thinking it's easier to clear two runways than a few hundred miles of motorway.

My thinking on flying is, I can land at Heathrow at 11.20 and depart at 15.20 before the temperature drops.

Anyone travelled on the M6/M42/M40/M25 today? Forecast for Wednesday?

TIA.

Paul.

I have about 900 miles ahead of me next week. Mon - Manchester, Tue - Cambridge and Wed - Uxbridge, so definately a drive option for me.

The weather put paid to that, cancelled all of my travel due to weather here in Scotland. :wallbash:

Indecision.

If it's snowing, I'm thinking it's easier to clear two runways than a few hundred miles of motorway.

My thinking on flying is, I can land at Heathrow at 11.20 and depart at 15.20 before the temperature drops.

Anyone travelled on the M6/M42/M40/M25 today? Forecast for Wednesday?

TIA.

Paul.

I've done the M40 today (only for a few junctions) and pass over the M25, it's all fine at the moment but who knows. It was snowing lightly where I live this morning (not far from Heathrow).

Had a meeting scheduled today in Cannock which has been cancelled, doing a conference call instead...

Hope that helps!

I've done the M40 today (only for a few junctions) and pass over the M25, it's all fine at the moment but who knows. It was snowing lightly where I live this morning (not far from Heathrow).

Had a meeting scheduled today in Cannock which has been cancelled, doing a conference call instead...

Hope that helps!

Many thanks.

I'll have to look closely at the weather forecast later before making a decision.

If you are flying down there, doing your stuff in Esher and then working your way into Central London / Camden I would highly recommend getting the train back if it is feasible costwise to fly one way.

Camden is literally not much more than a mile from Euston where a fast train will whisk you back to the NW in 2 hours. It will take you that long just to get back to Heathrow.

hi Ringway, the m25 and all of south london is a nightmare tonight, more snow predicted overnight. reports of people being stuck for hours. research wisely my freind

Train but First Class ?

You get free wifi so you can keep working, eat breakfast on the way out, dinner on the way home (both included in the fare)

At least with the train you dont have to turn up 2 hours early and be virtually strip-searched.....

Indecision.

Don't forget, airports get more delayed and cancelled flights when the weather is bad :dk:

hi Ringway, the m25 and all of south london is a nightmare tonight, more snow predicted overnight. reports of people being stuck for hours. research wisely my freind

M25 from A3 to M40 was fine tonight, flew around it better than usual.

Howard struggled on the A3 earlier, but I was on it half an hour later and had no problems (gritter must have gritted in between times).

Real issues seemed to be further around still in Kent on the A2 and around Blue Water.

Provided there's no more snow I'd drive.

Don't forget, airports get more delayed and cancelled flights when the weather is bad :dk:

I remember last year (or was it earlier this year?!) when the weather was bad, that at the airport, when they cancelled a lot of the domestic flights, they laid on coaches for people to get to their destination.

Tonight, at about 11pm, I met a passenger from Dublin (flight has about two hours delayed), and noticed on the arrivals board, the last few flights from Glasgow and Edinburgh were cancelled.

Southern parts of M25 were rubbish tonight as well, looking at TomTom traffic.

All off!

Operation scrapped for this week. Not worth the hassle no matter which way I'd have travelled.

Thanks for the advice everyone. :thumb:

I live 5 miles from Esher but co-incidentally have a meeting is Chester next week - why don't you attend my meeting and I'll do your Esher one? If you can handle sanctimonious clients with unreal expectations, it should be a walk in the park for you...

I live 5 miles from Esher but co-incidentally have a meeting is Chester next week - why don't you attend my meeting and I'll do your Esher one? If you can handle sanctimonious clients with unreal expectations, it should be a walk in the park for you...

hahahaha nearly fell off my seat laughing!

That's a done deal!

You should have asked me about my clients though before making that offer. :devil:

:D

I would have travelled today, but the earache I was getting from Mrs Ringway about the prevailing conditions was overwhelming. :eek:

I had a look at this site this morning. LINK.

One of my contacts at Esher said things around there were'nt too bad, but over towards Kent there are problems.

All trains from London Bridge are disrupted - took me 4 hours of travelling to get there and back to North London today.. Even the buses are diverting from our local streets.

I think you made the correct decision.

Ade

After waiting for the weather conditions to improve and a (last minute) oportunity in the diary I decided to drive to Esher yesterday although it was tempting to fly.

My car hasn't really been out much in the recent poor conditions but after 10, minutes of motorway driving I wondered why I even thought about flying. ;)

After leaving home at 10.00am I wafted to Esher in 2, hours 50 minutes and good fun it was too. I love that car. :rock:

The journey home in the darkness and heavier traffic took longer but at less than £60 for fuel for the whole trip, it was good value.

Looks like my centre display may be starting to fail eh? :rolleyes:

Photo403-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom