London Congestion Charge and ULEZ to Recommence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Our landlord has 3 out of his four London properties empty.

Our daughter lives (rents) in Streatham , she says her street is covered in "For Let" signs as people are leaving in droves. She has handed her notice in for the one bed flat she shares with her boyfriend as they have just negotiated a better deal on a larger two bed flat in the same area for less money.

They both are required to work from home some days of the week so the one bed flat is just not compatible with that if they want to remain a couple.

Seems it it a renters market at the moment , at least for a while.

K

Quick thread revival to say that TfL has just started consultation on reducing the Congestion Charge hours once again, away from the temporary levels set last year. The weekday hours will go back to 07.00-18.00 instead of lasting until 22.00 daily. But the new weekend charging will partly remain, from 12.00-18.00. Resident discounts will come back (they were closed to new entrants last year). The removal of evening charges should mean some good respite for evening / shift workers.

New Congestion Charge proposals

Hi , I have seen a 21 plate petrol car parked with the green strip on the number plate !

Car had manual gear lever and clutch plate.

This was in the Tooting area of London

Hi , I have seen a 21 plate petrol car parked with the green strip on the number plate !

Car had manual gear lever and clutch plate.

This was in the Tooting area of London
Bloody hell, you could see the clutch plate.

What is the significance of the green stripe? Presumably is for decorative purposes only?

It will probably be an MOT failure (in 3 years time) but other than that I don't see what's to gain or lose by displaying the green stripe on a petrol (or Diesel) car.

EDIT: did you make a note of the VRM? Would be interesting to see what car it is.

I haven't read through the entire thread, so apology's if this has been listed before, but as I am looking for a car myself this has become something that is concerning, I started to look for cars that are listed ULEZ on car sites, but I was shocked to see how many of these ULEZ advertised cars were not all that exempt, I can't say I understand the technicality of this, but the bottom line is the emission's are being targeted now, if only they made the cars more affordable so you can buy a much greater emission acceptable car, but here is a link I came across in my endless searching, you just put the reg of the car into the search box and it will tell you what limits apply to your car, and the cars it can't be sure on tells you to check with the makers about it, hope it helps.

More from Khan the hypocrite

Even if you don't visit London often, please spend a couple minutes to oppose the expansion of the charge to weekends.

I haven't read through the entire thread, so apology's if this has been listed before, but as I am looking for a car myself this has become something that is concerning, I started to look for cars that are listed ULEZ on car sites, but I was shocked to see how many of these ULEZ advertised cars were not all that exempt, I can't say I understand the technicality of this, but the bottom line is the emission's are being targeted now, if only they made the cars more affordable so you can buy a much greater emission acceptable car, but here is a link I came across in my endless searching, you just put the reg of the car into the search box and it will tell you what limits apply to your car, and the cars it can't be sure on tells you to check with the makers about it, hope it helps.

I don't know how much you intend to spend on the car, but in practical terms ULEZ is not really an issue unless you insist on driving a Diesel car? Almost all petrol cars are ULEZ compliant, plenty to choose from (unless you're after a 20 years old car?).

More from Khan the hypocrite

That's a bit of a non-story, though, as the article itself says with the line: "The convoy is thought to have been required by the Metropolitan Police, who protect him from potential security threats." Sadly Mr Khan receives regular threats: Sadiq Khan has 24 hour police protection after receiving threats

Even if you don't visit London often, please spend a couple minutes to oppose the expansion of the charge to weekends.

The weekend charge is proposed to be reduced hours, though (12.00-18.00), which I think is quite fair. Traffic is very heavy on weekend afternoons, so it seems reasonable to extend the charge to those times. It will be perfectly feasible to drive into the city in the late morning whilst traffic is light, enjoy an afternoon out and then head home after 6. No charge need be paid!

The weekend charge is proposed to be reduced hours, though (12.00-18.00), which I think is quite fair. Traffic is very heavy on weekend afternoons, so it seems reasonable to extend the charge to those times. It will be perfectly feasible to drive into the city in the late morning whilst traffic is light, enjoy an afternoon out and then head home after 6. No charge need be paid!

...assuming the car is legally parked between noon and 6pm ;)

It will be perfectly feasible to drive into the city in the late morning whilst traffic is light, enjoy an afternoon out and then head home after 6. No charge need be paid!
Feasible? Try telling that to the hospitality business owners who have seen their weekend daytime business battered by the Congestion charge. And then there's that whole pandemic thing.

Feasible? Try telling that to the hospitality business owners who have seen their weekend daytime business battered by the Congestion charge. And then there's that whole pandemic thing.

There's no doubt that the CC had a negative effect on retail inside the CC zone, but this process started 20 years ago and businesses evolved to live with it.

The underlying issue was the businesses relied on customers driving into Central London. But the model where each consumer goes to town to do their shopping with a big tin box wrapped around them just wasn't sustainable any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom