London Congestion Charge and ULEZ to Recommence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another cunning plan for Londoners would be to buy a pre-2009 Defender 110 LWB. You get hammered with ULEZ, granted, but then you can drive in bus lanes, so yes it's costly but you get ahead ;)

Another cunning plan for Londoners would be to buy a pre-2009 Defender 110 LWB. You get hammered with ULEZ, granted, but then you can drive in bus lanes, so yes it's costly but you get ahead ;)
It might be worth £12.50 per day to use bus lanes - this could speed up journeys greatly! I know of several places on my commute where long stretches of bus lanes could be used to great advantage (not that I have driven it for a couple of years but I did occasionally in the past).

Or what about one of these, should be fully exempt from the ULEZ and C-charge and still be able to use bus lanes?
8564760.jpg

1978 Land Rover Series 3 109 Station Wagon SOLD MORE REQUIRED!! SOLD | Car And Classic

I find driving in many cities too confusing.
I've to watch bus lane times that change or have non en route. Lane designation that may or may not allow me to use, and sometimes dependant on how many are in my vehicle. Be prepared to stop short at traffic lights so bikes that I've eventually passed can get in front again. Be aware of post signs and road marking that may or may not affect me, and distinguish all these from a massive amount of advertising.

Then the eyes in the back of my head need be ready for taxis that seemingly have a priority, cycles that appear from anywhere, as do the mopeds with pizzas on the back zipping into unavailable spaces, other angry motorists ready to physically enforce their desire.
The pedestrians, in lycra at speed or not, don't seem to recognise their vulnerability.
All of that after you have likely queued with a few thousand others to get into the place.

If you don't know the place getting stuck in the wrong lane can add another 1/2 mile to the journey. That'd be another hour or so generally.

I'm waiting for my step daughter to realise that London 'aint all advantage she thinks it is, as she grows up.

I was just informed that TFL are surprised by the public outcry and are reviewing written feedback on the charge increase. You can file a written complaint here - my note below for inspiration

"I am writing to complain about the widening of the scope of the congestion charge in London. The charge is meant to serve as a disincentive of vehicle use during the hours of actual vehicular congestion in London. There is little to no congestion after 6:30pm and definitely no congestion on weekends in the congestion zone. This arbitrary increase is draconian in nature and targets the vulnerable. At a minimum, I expect the TFL to exempt the following two categories from the charge entirely: 1) Care workers 2) Historic vehicles (40 years or older) Kindly confirm you will review this matter immediately"
Historic vehicles are exempt

The funny thing is that I rented in Italy a FIAT MPV that had 3 rows of 3 seats, so would have been allowed in bus lanes in London, but I couldn't find any marque at the time that sold an MPV that had a 3x3 configuration MPV in the UK.

When I’m in and about in central London and see a vehicle that isn’t a taxi of some sort, a delivery vehicle, bus, ambulance, police car I do wonder why they are there.

( there will be other service vehicles I missed)

If you buy a 40 year old one you pay nothing : no VED , no ULEZ , no CC . Win win

When I’m in and about in central London and see a vehicle that isn’t a taxi of some sort, a delivery vehicle, bus, ambulance, police car I do wonder why they are there.

( there will be other service vehicles I missed)
I used to regularly visit an office that I was responsible for in the West End.

I would always drive because I was most likely just stopping off for one day/night and moving on to another office which could be anywhere South of Birmingham.
Driving in London takes up time but it's way more convenient than multiple train/underground/taxi.

Driving in London takes up time but it's way more convenient than multiple train/underground/taxi.
I live 5 mins from a station that’s 18 minutes from St Pancras. Last winter I did a 5 month job on Camden Town Hall which is opposite the station.

I got on the train at 7.35am with my tea, sat in a comfy seat and read the news etc on my tablet and I was on site before 8.
Train or car?? The choice is yours.

if I need to go into central London just add 15 mins to that journey.

When did they start making LWB Land Rovers...?
1953 , for the 107” wheelbase , ( had to look it up , but my dad bought one new in 1964 ) . My dads Series II had three seats in the cab and opposing side facing seats in the back which would comfortably sit three each side or four at a squash , giving a capacity of 11 . No seat belts back then .

By 1956 the LWB stretched to 109” ,

From the LR website: “In 1953 a short wheelbase, three-door seven seater was launched, and in 1956 a five-door hosting 10 seats arrived”

“The ‘Land Rover One Ten’ was introduced in 1983 and the ‘Land Rover Ninety’ in 1984, with the numbers in the product name representing the respective wheelbase length in inches. The 127-inch Land Rover was specifically designed to accommodate larger, heavier loads than the 110. Originally called the ‘Land Rover 127’ it became the ‘Defender 130’ when the name Defender was introduced, to avoid confusion with the new Land Rover Discovery.”.

Actually , the story is pretty interesting

Last edited:
I live 5 mins from a station that’s 18 minutes from St Pancras. Last winter I did a 5 month job on Camden Town Hall which is opposite the station.

I got on the train at 7.35am with my tea, sat in a comfy seat and read the news etc on my tablet and I was on site before 8.
Train or car?? The choice is yours.

if I need to go into central London just add 15 mins to that journey.
I'm sure that pubic transport works well for the natives but, as a passing through visitor, it worked less well for me.

I'm sure that pubic transport works well for the natives but, as a passing through visitor, it worked less well for me.

Prior to Covid I was more than happy to use TFL, as long as I had somewhere secure and cheap to leave the motor, or if I was w/o the motor.
Cars are a nuisance in London, but often a necessity.

Prior to Covid I was more than happy to use TFL, as long as I had somewhere secure and cheap to leave the motor, or if I was w/o the motor.
It all depends what you are doing: if you only have to get yourself somewhere, public transport can work , as long as it goes close to where you need to go and runs at the times you need to travel .

I actually find train travel quite pleasant and like to use it when I can ; I also have my old farts bus pass and can travel anywhere in Scotland for nothing , but busses are so slow and sometimes not such pleasant things to be on .

For someone who needs to carry tools and or equipment, a vehicle of some sort is necessary, whether it is a tradesperson with a transit van or a photographer with a boot full of equipment.

For people like myself , working for emergency services , I could be called out any time of the day or night , sent to remote locations- I can’t be waiting for buses or trains , even if one was going near where I wanted .

Not everyone fits into the little boxes some people imagine.

Quite a few bus lanes have been closed and converted to cycle lanes. Euston Road is one example I know but have heard of others.

Public transport has been ace since March. until today I always got a train and tube seat. Now thing are ramping up again it is quite busy.

Even better than I thought... this one is a 10-seater:

8564768.jpg
IIRC correctly they called the above the '12 seat station wagon' at that time, so they envisaged 3 people to squeeze onto each rear bench. I recall doing this as a child.

But to my mind the ultimate model was the County V8 introduced in (I think) 1982 (so not ULEZ-RFL-MOT exempt just yet...). Available in fetching factory colours of brown, red and yellow as well as the usual blue and green. Most of them have now either been scrapped or exported to the USA where folks seem to be crazy for LR v8s at the moment. Wish I'd bought one when they were £1-2k in the 90's, or even £5-6k in the noughties! They rolled off the production line with a grand total of 99hp, but were easily modified to improve power. A serious downside though is their thirst for fuel: at best 15mpg downhill with a following wind. Someone on another thread recently recalled the problem of towing using these: they could tow a hefty load at motorway speeds so long as you could find petrol stations often enough...

7f342eb4image-2-jpeg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom