London Congestion Charge and ULEZ to Recommence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Even better than I thought... this one is a 10-seater:

8564768.jpg
That's pretty much the layout of my dad's , except his was a two door and only had one row of front facing seats ; the rear side benches being that much longer . His was also a van , with no side windows in the rear . The side benches lifted up to give storage space underneath , which was used for tools etc since it was used as a service van for his haulage business .

IIRC correctly they called the above the '12 seat station wagon' at that time, so they envisaged 3 people to squeeze onto each rear bench. I recall doing this as a child.

But to my mind the ultimate model was the County V8 introduced in (I think) 1982 (so not ULEZ-RFL-MOT exempt just yet...). Available in fetching factory colours of brown, red and yellow as well as the usual blue and green. Most of them have now either been scrapped or exported to the USA where folks seem to be crazy for LR v8s at the moment. Wish I'd bought one when they were £1-2k in the 90's, or even £5-6k in the noughties! They rolled off the production line with a grand total of 99hp, but were easily modified to improve power. A serious downside though is their thirst for fuel: at best 15mpg downhill with a following wind. Someone on another thread recently recalled the problem of towing using these: they could tow a hefty load at motorway speeds so long as you could find petrol stations often enough...

7f342eb4image-2-jpeg.jpg
Her Maj famously has one which I believe she keeps at Balmoral . When it was sent back to the factory for an overhaul , they kindly converted it to automatic transmission , thinking this would be liked - but it was sent back to be reinstated to manual since HM did not approve !

Not a V-8 , but we have a pickup truck with canvas cover over the load bay on the 130 chassis in the Fire Brigade ; I quite like borrowing it when I can ; we also have many 110 County Station Wagons in a lovely dark metallic red , liveried up with battenberg . I'll see if I can get pics of any when over at HQ later today . I get these quite a lot and love driving them .

Not a V-8 , but we have a pickup truck with canvas cover over the load bay on the 130 chassis in the Fire Brigade ; I quite like borrowing it when I can ; we also have many 110 County Station Wagons in a lovely dark metallic red , liveried up with battenberg . I'll see if I can get pics of any when over at HQ later today . I get these quite a lot and love driving them .
All of those must be aging a bit by now. Great that they are still in service rather than replaced with a Hilux or similar.

Reactions: 219
All of those must be aging a bit by now. Great that they are still in service rather than replaced with a Hilux or similar.
We don’t seem to pension off old Landies , I can think of two - one on a G plate ( 1969 ) and one on an N plate ( 1975 ) that are still in service , plus loads on prefix plates .

These are not preserved vehicles , but a lot of them sit in stations and don’t do a lot of mileage .

We do have an Austin Champ on the preserved fleet .

Alas none in the car park at HQ today - unusual - but I'll keep an eye open and get some shots .

I had to look that one up, hadn’t even heard of it!
Ours has a pump fitted so that it can actually function as a small fire appliance; Rolls Royce engine too , as are some of the early Dennis fire engines.

I live not too far from the C-charge zone, but I almost never have cause to drive there. Even now with public transport off-limits I can’t think of much reason to drive into the zone. I don’t see the extended Charge as much of an issue, apart from being rather surprised at the sudden increase in charging hours. Maybe there’s a small group of people out there for whom this is a genuine issue, but for most Londoners it’s not going to make a difference.
But perhaps you drive within the North/South Circular Road from Oct 2021? And then be ready for the M25 to be the boundary

But perhaps you drive within the North/South Circular Road from Oct 2021?
Yes indeed I do, but the Oct 2021 charge is not a Congestion Charge, it's an Ultra Low Emission Zone charge. All cars that comply with the emissions standard are exempt, including mine. Bring it on!

Yes indeed I do, but the Oct 2021 charge is not a Congestion Charge, it's an Ultra Low Emission Zone charge. All cars that comply with the emissions standard are exempt, including mine. Bring it on!
As you'll have seen in another post, the govt/TfL has spent millions setting up the cameras and charging systems for ULEZ. As the numbers of infringements reduce dramatically, they're going to need a new use for the kit.
Take it for granted that they will be looking at high polluters from petrol to add to charging. Am told it takes less than an hour to reprogram camera sensors to do this.

And always remember within London all revenue (and penalties) go to TfL, not the Treasury as with fines etc.
It's a really simple revenue generator for any local authority who can rightfully assert its part of the Green Economy.

This week we've been told that TfL has been told to increase and extend Congestion Charge to £15 a day - and to widen its coverage.
And that's on top of the £12.50 a day ULEZ (7 days a week)

As you'll have seen in another post, the govt/TfL has spent millions setting up the cameras and charging systems for ULEZ. As the numbers of infringements reduce dramatically, they're going to need a new use for the kit.
Take it for granted that they will be looking at high polluters from petrol to add to charging. Am told it takes less than an hour to reprogram camera sensors to do this.

And always remember within London all revenue (and penalties) go to TfL, not the Treasury as with fines etc.
It's a really simple revenue generator for any local authority who can rightfully assert its part of the Green Economy.

This week we've been told that TfL has been told to increase and extend Congestion Charge to £15 a day - and to widen its coverage.

That's why they are so many new Teslas in London - exempt from everything, including parking fees. And then there's the zero BIK....

If you drive in London and can buy or lease the car via a business, then a Model-3 will be surprisingly cheap to own.

Yes, true, it will be interesting to see where the TfL bailout fight ends. The mayor is pushing back hard on extending the C-charge to the North and South circulars (it is already £15).

I'm not sure how it's workable to have a C-charge right to the N and S circulars; it's such a large area that any resident discount would enable the couple of million residents to all still continue driving. And without a resident exemption it would cause havoc for many livelihoods. The ULEZ area expanding does make sense to me: residents have to change car to a compliant one, but there have been years of warning to plan for that.

Reactions: AMV
Ulez fine.
Ulez extension, not happy but fine
Congestion charge operation hours Monday-Sunday 07:00-22:00 not happy but fine.

Congestion charge extending to Ulez expansion zone (North/South circulars) not fine.

You ask the public to change to Euro 4 Petrol and Euro 6 to drive within the upcoming Ulez expansion zone at cost then ask them to pay £15 every day to drive it.

Is it me or is this latest bit madness??

Why don't they just adopt the chinese way and have alternating number plate cars to be allowed on x y z days.

Ulez fine.

Congestion charge extending to Ulez expansion zone (North/South circulars) not fine.

You ask the public to change to Euro 4 Petrol and Euro 6 to drive within the upcoming Ulez expansion zone at cost then ask them to pay £15 every day to drive it.

Why don't they just adopt the chinese way and have alternating number plate cars to be allowed on x y z days.
Hopefully the latest bit about the expanded C-Charge is only a negotiating position and not something that will happen.

Reactions: AMV
Ulez fine.

As a Londoner, and in spite of the personal inconvenience, I am in favour of banning private cars from city centres, starting with London.

I do not understand the obsession that the authorities seem to have with filling our cities with electric cars.

Admittedly, unlike ICE cars, EV's do not have a negative impact on air quality in cities, which is great, but they cause the same level of congestion as other cars, and the same level of risk to pedestrians.

So I have no idea why they are being encouraged with such vigor.

We have a Tesla at work, and it's a cheap as chips to run.... BIK, VED, Congestion Charge, Parking... all free or near-free.

To my mind this is a missed opportunity. Ther's no reason to use a car (EV or ICE) in central London.

Walk, Cycle, take a bus, train, or the Tube, take a black cab or an Uber. Why reward people for driving into central London with an EV?

The ULEZ area expanding does make sense to me: residents have to change car to a compliant
They wouldn’t have spent a fortune on camera installations etc to get rid of old Pre6 diesels/4 petrols which are naturally disappearing from the roads anyway.

Once set up, they will keep moving the goalposts and turning the screw to get more & more motorists off the road. They do it stages to avoid opposition. Very predictable stuff.

Highly likely cars over a certain tax band will be added (basically largish petrols) and some form of congestion charging or road pricing will be next. A few clicks of a button once the system is in place next October.

They wouldn’t have spent a fortune on camera installations etc to get rid of old Pre6 diesels/4 petrols which are naturally disappearing from the roads anyway.

Once set up, they will keep moving the goalposts and turning the screw to get more & more motorists off the road. They do it stages to avoid opposition. Very predictable stuff.

Highly likely cars over a certain tax band will be added (basically largish petrols) and some form of congestion charging or road pricing will be next. A few clicks of a button once the system is in place next October.
Yes, i suppose so; that's how the C-Charge has gone. That'll be me scuppered!

As a Londoner, and in spite of the personal inconvenience, I am in favour of banning private cars from city centres, starting with London

What do you count as a City Centre ? The Original CC Zone ? The North and South Circular is not my idea of a City Centre :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom