London Low emission zone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
Great - my sprinter (S reg, camper van) will, in three years time, cost me a hundred quid a DAY to drive into (outer) london.

Will someone please shoot Ken?

The man is taxing the poor with this one - think of all the vans over 1.2 tonnes (yes - one tonne -ie a lot of small, older vans) that have to be upgraded to shiney new vans - 'cos thats 'green' isnt it? Puts all the old boys out of a job - lets all the corporate monsters carry on regardless, pushing up prices in london for building work, raising interest rates etc etc etc. The mans a flipping idiot.

His tax also applies to:-
Herses, fire engines, rubbish lorries, ambulances...... and motor homes ('cos they don't bring money in - do they?)

Just don't bother going to London....... Since ken changed all of the traffic light timings it not worth driving up there anymore. I feel really sorry for the people that have too, I really do.

I commute into Central London as driving is out of the question...23 mins on the train can't be beaten. For those who have to use a vehicle for a living, some of these measures are way OTT. I agree that some of the worst polluting vehicles chucking out unfiltered fumes should be penalised, but surely that should happen at an MOT? If they pass that test, who is Ken to overrule? Git.

Great - my sprinter (S reg, camper van) will, in three years time, cost me a hundred quid a DAY to drive into (outer) london.

Will someone please shoot Ken?

The man is taxing the poor with this one - think of all the vans over 1.2 tonnes (yes - one tonne -ie a lot of small, older vans) that have to be upgraded to shiney new vans - 'cos thats 'green' isnt it? Puts all the old boys out of a job - lets all the corporate monsters carry on regardless, pushing up prices in london for building work, raising interest rates etc etc etc. The mans a flipping idiot.

Herses, fire engines, rubbish lorries, ambulances...... and motor homes ('cos they don't bring money in - do they?)

His pet project, the olympics will be deeply disrupted by his tax on lorries, most of the tippers doing the ground works will not be euro 3 or above...

Ken might have a rethink when he realises that there won't be enough trucks to keep the project running to schedule.

Just form a union or an organisation and protest as loudly as possible. Refuse to pay anything ALa poll tax. they can not put every one in prison can they? or seize every van in london can they?

Last edited:
His pet project, the olympics will be deeply disrupted by his tax on lorries, most of the tippers doing the ground works will not be euro 3 or above...

Ken might have a rethink when he realises that there won't be enough trucks to keep the project running to schedule.

Good point, but they will ask to move the Olympics as we'll not be ready! :devil:

I HAVE to drive in london - its my job - happily, my current, brand spanking new (OK 1 yr old) Nissan Navara is 'compliant' - it does 28mpg. With lots of scaffold on the back, and has been modified to carry 7 bods, not the standard 5)

My sprinter, which is not compliant, and can carry, in theory, 17 people, is not - and does...... 28mpg.

Can someone please explain what, exactly, I'm missing here?

I HAVE to drive in london - its my job - happily, my current, brand spanking new (OK 1 yr old) Nissan Navara is 'compliant' - it does 28mpg. With lots of scaffold on the back, and has been modified to carry 7 bods, not the standard 5)

My sprinter, which is not compliant, and can carry, in theory, 17 people, is not - and does...... 28mpg.

Ken's a dope.

When people in greater London find that they can't move house because all the removal companies have non complient lorries (removal trucks last for ever) and the BBC can't film anything as their outside broadcast trucks tend to be pre euro 3, and when all the snow ploughs are taken off the road..............

And then there's all the horseboxes, when have you ever seen a new horsebox?

Just form a union or an organisation and protest as loudly as possible. Refuse to pay anuthinh ALa poll tax. they can not purt every one in prison can they? or seize every van in london can they?

The showmen did that, so they're exempt.

The capital will ground to a halt, but at least you'll still be able to go to the funfair....

Your not missing a thing... It's Ken and his band of ill informed cronies.
It took me two hours recently to drive from Guildford to Liverpool street, then I had to drive back!

Oh and I had to pay £8 for the privilage.......

2hrs? It took me 3.5 hrs to go from barking to islington. as i had to pick up someone in hyde park

I started a post yesterday on this subject. It got closed because it was "political".
But the point I was not very clearly making (as I had just recived the letter from his Ken-nes) is the ludicrousnesses of this whole topic, my truck is a small tipper but fully laden is into the HGV weight limit, so it already has to be serviced regularly go for a tougher MOT (because of the operators licence regulations) but it weighs slightly less than a discovery. So what will he do next, this kind of legislation to large diesel cars and 4X4's. What ever next.

I started a post yesterday on this subject. It got closed because it was "political".

Your other thread go closed because this very subject was being debated elsewhere.
The political part would come into it, when you said ''I think we should vote if Ken should stay or go".

I am in the same situation with 2 lorries that have only Euro 2 engines. £4000 for a new exhaust on each to collect the PM10:crazy: .

The general public will suffer from this as well, as hauliers will put their prices up to cover the modifications.
I had a meeting with a firm this afternoon, who want me to supply 2 x 44t lorries to carry materials to the olympic site.
This work wil start in September, long before the Euro3 law comes into play, but they will not use anything less than a Euro3:rolleyes:

But the point I was not very clearly making (as I had just recived the letter from his Ken-nes) is the ludicrousnesses of this whole topic, my truck is a small tipper but fully laden is into the HGV weight limit, so it already has to be serviced regularly go for a tougher MOT (because of the operators licence regulations) but it weighs slightly less than a discovery. So what will he do next, this kind of legislation to large diesel cars and 4X4's. What ever next.

I've got a Daf, apparantly 66% of pre euro 3 Leyland Dafs already meet the LEZ criteria so the whole thing may yet decend into a farce....

Your other thread go closed because this very subject was being debated elsewhere.
The political part would come into it, when you said ''I think we should vote if Ken should stay or go".

I am in the same situation with 2 lorries that have only Euro 2 engines. £4000 for a new exhaust on each to collect the PM10:crazy: .

The general public will suffer from this as well, as hauliers will put their prices up to cover the modifications.
I had a meeting with a firm this afternoon, who want me to supply 2 x 44t lorries to carry materials to the olympic site.
This work wil start in September, long before the Euro3 law comes into play, but they will not use anything less than a Euro3:rolleyes:

How tragic would it be if Ken's pet olympics project were delayed due to his LEZ...

I've got a Daf, apparantly 66% of pre euro 3 Leyland Dafs already meet the LEZ criteria so the whole thing may yet decend into a farce....

from 2012 the goalposts have moved to EuroIV. This means that you can pay £200 a day or get a filter trap for £3500.

I have a DAF 45 Turbo 130 Horsebox that is perhaps EuroIII. If my daughter qualifies for the Olympics or any of the Olympia Horse Shows I will stage a protest that will maximise bad publicity for TFL. I am not going to pay these ludicrous charges. Where do they think the money is coming from?

On the continent , emergency vehicles such as Fire Brigade vehicles , Ambulances and Doctors' cars are exempt .

I expect the European Government will force this to be 'harmonised' as it is clearly wrong .

If the Fire Brigade are not going to be permitted to go about their business - the resulting great fire of London will cause a tad more air pollution than the pumps will .

The EU has given many countries funding (the ones that bothered to do the paperwork) to buy nice new fire engines and have new fire stations to house them in. Courtesy of you and I - how very nice of them.

The sad fact is if our firetrucks are not EuroIV rated then we only have ourseles to blame.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom