London recommendation - cracked rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanD

Car
CLS55 AMG IWC
Rear tyre on CLS55 went flat yesterday - no sign of a puncture, but noticed a hairline crack on the back of the alloy which seems a likely culprit. Normally I use PCS for the car, but they're a bit of a trip with the wife's car to get something small done.

Obviously getting a wheel fixed, it's is fairly critical that someone skilled does it, so wondering if any London based recommendations for such a repair? I know all the big chains won't do it and it can sometimes be controversial, but MB rims seem to crack easily and aren't cheap! :wallbash:

Thanks, will have a look at both. I've actually used BJV for re-furb before .. not that far away. Will send them a pic and see what they think!

Lepsons? They will collect and return too.

Gosh .. hard to choose! Lepsons are as far across London as possible for me and only do free collection for 4 wheels, so probably the least convenient. BJV closest and I'm in-between the other two.

Any of them particularly favoured on forum or post directly here? Would be nice to hear good stories of other good repairs on "high torque" use on big rims (19").

As I said, I've used BJV before a few times on my C55 for general refurb .. I found they did an excellent job, but that perhaps the paint was a little soft/prone to pitting from hot brake material. Not sure if mine can be repaired without a full refurb or not.

Wouldn't you know, my problem rim is driver side and in perfect external condition! The nearside one has a little scuffing and would be a great excuse to refurb as well as repair if it were the problem! :wallbash:

Here's a pic if it helps with opinions!

crack.jpg

Used Alloy Weldcraft in the end. More convenient and re-assuring reputation. Also longer warranty (6 months) than others. A good bit more expensive than some.

Once there, noticed there was a flat spot on rim as well (perhaps what caused the crack to push out), so sorted both and finished the inside rim of the wheel for a perfect tyre fit. Fingers crossed that's it! Much cheaper than £1200 for a new alloy ....

About £150 all in with VAT and removing, re-fitting + balancing tyre.

£75 and £37.50 for the weld and the flat spot respectively before VAT ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom