London , rental accommodation ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KennyN

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Me - BMW 440i Coupe / Dog -Cayenne
As above people , our daughter is starting her journey into working life with a permanent job in the capital near St Pauls Cathedral. She will be moving down on the 19/05 to start her new job on the 21/05.

The company she will be working for had offered to put her up in an AirB+B for a few weeks until she get herself sorted with a place to stay which is where our problems start.

We know the rental prices are stupidly expensive but we have no idea where to start as we will be 400 miles away but will be popping down a few times to view properties when we are available.

So can anyone recommend a trustworthy letting agent (s) that we can converse with regarding our situation.

Cheers in advance.

Kenny

We had this with the step daughter, moving back to the UK (London) from Moscow with her company.
She has ended up with a lovely 2 bed apartment near Hammersmith at a mere £1,625 pcm, with £4K deposit. It's a different world.
I tried to demonstrate that the high salary is going to be used up on living expences, but some things we have to learn for ourselves.

She spent a 3 day visit here viewing, we travelled down twice for viewings that she had arranged. She finally moved back in with us temporarily and we travelled down together and found the one she has.
The tricky bit is weeding out the bad areas and the dross properties. One we saw promoted a lovely apartment that was actually across the road from the slum available.

It is far better to look for a share situation from what we saw. 2 people can get better for less cost to each, but who with might be an issue. Step daughter shares with a Moscovita that has relocated with the company also.

Finding a good property that is not going to require tube changes for the commute can be tricky too.

I'll ask the Lady for the Agent contacts details, but how reliable and valuable can only be the result of experience.

As above people , our daughter is starting her journey into working life with a permanent job in the capital near St Pauls Cathedral. She will be moving down on the 19/05 to start her new job on the 21/05.

The company she will be working for had offered to put her up in an AirB+B for a few weeks until she get herself sorted with a place to stay which is where our problems start.

We know the rental prices are stupidly expensive but we have no idea where to start as we will be 400 miles away but will be popping down a few times to view properties when we are available.

So can anyone recommend a trustworthy letting agent (s) that we can converse with regarding our situation.

Cheers in advance.

Kenny

London property is scary £££ hence why we sold up and ****ed off. Lol

Good luck finding something, and congratulations to your daughter on securing the job.

One other option is to look for a place away from the City, but along a good commute line (train, Underground, or Overground).

The rental cost will be much cheaper and the daily commute should not be too bad - again, if the location is chosen wisely.

I live near St Johns Wood, where many of my neighbours work in the financial sector and commute to Canary Wharf over the Jubilee Line which is a 30 minute journey.

Well to be fair if I was faced with this problem I would be looking for a rental near Chelmsford and commute in,a one bed flat at Moulsham St right near the centre of Chelmsford lots going on and walking distance to station at £693 a month.

I own 2no 1 bed flats. 1 is in Alperton and the other is in Colindale and they are both in zone 4 and both are 5-8 mins walk from the tube station. The journey time from both properties into central London are 30 mins max.

They are both rented out through an agency for £1250 pcm.

Well to be fair if I was faced with this problem I would be looking for a rental near Chelmsford and commute in,a one bed flat at Moulsham St right near the centre of Chelmsford lots going on and walking distance to station at £693 a month.
What’s the cost of commuting into London?

Potentially £175 a month better off. But you’ve got to live in Chelmsford.

My brother lived in Great Baddow for a few years from about 2002-2007. It was quite nice but luckily for him neither he or his wife had to commute too far.

Last edited:
Potentially £175 a month better off. But you’ve got to live in Chelmsford.

Rather that than Alperton ! o_O:rolleyes:

Well Chelmsford has it all nightlife plenty of pubs and restaurants loads of shops that flat is right in amongst it,and frankly I would not live in London now far too much going on,and that £175 a month will pay the girls living costs,you could look at Kent ,Gravesend one bed flat near the station £750 and again around £4000 for a train ticket,Chelmsford is by far the better bet.

Our son did the same thing a few years ago and rented a room which he found on the flatshare site www.spareroom.co.uk which worked out much cheaper than a one-bedroom flat and no agents were involved. He stayed there 6 months then moved into a place of his own. Interestingly, he's tried to rent out his number 2 bedroom on spareroom, but has had great difficulty finding anyone 'normal'. He's in Lewisham (zone 2 and handy for the trains to Bank or London Bridge). If you're interested, PM me for more info.

Thanks for the replies chaps , i think she has resigned herself to the fact that it will be shared accommodation as single occupancy is just too expensive , for both of us.

She will have two weeks in her AirB+B to get something sorted and check out some areas.

Dickie Fix , i will have a chat with her tomorrow , cheers.

Kenny

Well Chelmsford has it all nightlife plenty of pubs and restaurants loads of shops that flat is right in amongst it,and frankly I would not live in London now far too much going on,and that £175 a month will pay the girls living costs,you could look at Kent ,Gravesend one bed flat near the station £750 and again around £4000 for a train ticket,Chelmsford is by far the better bet.
Four grand for a rail ticket !

I live about 25 miles from Glasgow and sometimes use the train , so just buy daily returns , which are just under a tenner for the 25 min train journey.
A weekly ticket is £39 , monthly is £150 and annual is just under £1500 .
Four grand for a similar journey is extortion.

Yes rail fares are getting out of hand,I found this by accident,you can be classed as disabled for rail travel if you wear a hearing aid,all you need is to fill a online form upload a photo of your hearing aid supplier and £20 and you get 30% of rail fares at all times and if you have a hearing person with you they can get the same discount,I got mine and saved £34 on a trip to Blackburn.

Four grand for a rail ticket !

I live about 25 miles from Glasgow and sometimes use the train , so just buy daily returns , which are just under a tenner for the 25 min train journey.
A weekly ticket is £39 , monthly is £150 and annual is just under £1500 .
Four grand for a similar journey is extortion.

It's simply supply and demand.

Supply & demand...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom