london to export it's poor?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At the very least we need some sort of intelligence test that if you fail you are chemically sterilised to stop the growth of idiot chav / dole scrounge / drain on resources that seems to be taking over.

Overtones of the master race, mein Führer?

My point also was to illiustrate the bigger picture of the cash flow situation from DSS to landlord, to HMRC, to DSS which all is a labour intensive process.

It would be just as labour intensive (and thus job-providing) if the same number of tenants were housed in affordable accommodation. I'm not criticising the provision of housing for those in genuine need; just the idea of paying for them to live in areas that many working people simply couldn't afford.

It would be just as labour intensive (and thus job-providing) if the same number of tenants were housed in affordable accommodation. I'm not criticising the provision of housing for those in genuine need; just the idea of paying for them to live in areas that many working people simply couldn't afford.

I would imagine it would be more labour intensive with public sector provision given its inherrent inefficiency.

Sadly there is a suitable shortage of housing to punt people into. I do agree with you, its not an idea that sits well with me.

In Glasgow, many of the old tower blocks are getting hauled down. I suspect similar things are happening UK wide. What will replace the housing there, and will it be cheap council housing, cheap purchasable private housing, or not so cheap housing.

I don't know. The population of this country is growing, and quite quickly too which places an additional pressure on the situation.

Not racist, no. But the notion of creating an elite society by means of selective breeding (Eugenics?) isn't far off.

Thanks for clarity.

Elite - no, practical limitation given the inherently fixed size of the island on which we live vs ever expanding populous will have to be tackled one way or another.

Yes my first post was perhaps worded a little strong but at some point we need to either start inhabiting other planet or deal with the problem... We may need to breed some rocket scientists PDQ....

Sadly there is a suitable shortage of housing to punt people into.

Perhaps, but that's not the nub of the issue in London. It's more about councils feeling compelled to provide families with a certain size of house in a certain area, whatever the cost (up to a limit), rather than doing what any working family would do: ie: work out how much they can afford and then seek somewhere at that price.

Pretending to have a bottomless pit in this day and age is unsustainable.

Yes my first post was perhaps worded a little strong but at some point we need to either start inhabiting other planet or deal with the problem... We may need to breed some rocket scientists PDQ....

Tomorrow's headline:

"Newnham Council exports its poor to Mars!"

This is about ensuring that no council pays out more than £500 a week (£2166 a month) in benefits.

As I said, I'm unaffected by this and agree wth your sentiment.

The point is that is has to stop, and hopefully now it will. Let landlords derive their income from those who can afford to pay the rent, not from councils that have better things to do with this money.

I'm afraid that human nature is such that if there's easy money to be made landlords will exploit it (as would anybody else), hence my comment about seeing things diifferently when you benefit from it.

From what I've seen, the poorer elements in society aren't necessarily lacking in brain power. Some of them are too clever for their own good. What they need is direction and a sense of purpose. Not sure chemical castration is an effective response to the issue.

Look at the tags, how did they get there? I want to tag threads.

For what its worth Paul, I do agree you are right, but is the china route really a mistake worth repeating? Some things make us human, and somethings make us unthinkable.

We are seeing is quite a hike in inflation, and I suspect market forces will see some quite horrific futures for some people. Argiculture can get more intensive, we can go GM on food (although that really doesn't sit well with me) and we can feed more people, or some people will die off. The families of today and tomorrow will be smaller as market costs will dictate that with land being more expensive, food being more expensive, and wages not keeping up.

A gentle correction of the state benefits system would solve the issue now, rather than have a more severe consquence down the line by doing nothing.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but that's not the nub of the issue in London. It's more about councils feeling compelled to provide families with a certain size of house in a certain area, whatever the cost (up to a limit), rather than doing what any working family would do: ie: work out how much they can afford and then seek somewhere at that price.

So are you saying there is cheaper alternatives that councils aren't using? If so, then I agree, that is terrible.

Pretending to have a bottomless pit in this day and age is unsustainable.

Agree, and we really don't.

I'm afraid that human nature is such that if there's easy money to be made landlords will exploit it (as would anybody else), hence my comment about seeing things diifferently when you benefit from it.

You paint a sad picture, developer215. I have friends with property, but they would not feel comfortable charging a local authority the market rate, so they do not accept tenants on benefits.

It worries me that any businessman would rely on easy money, rather than ensuring that they had a viable business in he first place. Perhaps we will see these rogues fall by the wayside when the cash cow is slain.

You paint a sad picture, developer215. I have friends with property, but they would not feel comfortable charging a local authority the market rate, so they do not accept tenants on benefits.

Did they really tell you that....and you believed them... LOL..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom