London to Newcastle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris clk320

Car
CLK 320 conv. W124 e220 coup
Bit of advice chaps

Driving upto Otterbuurn Northumberland V early Friday, cant decide on best route?

Last time we did M25, M40 M6 Toll then M6 to Carlisle and cut across at the top. Google maps is saying most miles and 6 hours 50 mins.

Alternative is M1 A1

or Have heard about M1 and A1m

Any thoughts????

Thanks Guys

Last time we did M25, M40 M6 Toll then M6 to Carlisle and cut across at the top. Google maps is saying most miles and 6 hours 50 mins.

Alternative is M1 A1

or Have heard about M1 and A1m

Any thoughts????

Thanks Guys

M6 is dug up for miles between Birmingham and Manchester, no fun at all.

M1 is not much better between Sheffield and Leeds.

A1 would be my choice.

Ive done the journey from Watford to Morpeth a few times, Ive found M1 -> M18 -> A1(M) best, not particularly scenic, but straightforward and 'fastest'.

All good thanks looks like M6 is going to be bad as I will be at the roadworks at about 8am!!

Keep the suggestions coming

Thanks

A1

depends on where in London you are starting from. I go M25 - M11 - A1M

Ive done the journey from Watford to Morpeth a few times, Ive found M1 -> M18 -> A1(M) best, not particularly scenic, but straightforward and 'fastest'.

+1

You'll hit 20 miles of 50mph average speed cameras between the A50 junction (I think) and the M18 junction on the M1, there is also a small stretch (few miles) of the same as you approach scotch corner on the A1.

Buts that's about it, I drive up and down the country all the time and apart from accidents this is currently the quickest way, until they start widening the A1 again.

Last edited:
A1

depends on where in London you are starting from. I go M25 - M11 - A1M

+1 - that's the route we use to visit BIL in Newcastle. Watch the speed cameras on the stretch past Cambridge between the M11 and the A1M.

In Newcastle this week and

M1 50mph avg speed checks J28 to J31 and J34a up
A1 widening now in progress Leeming to Barton, avg speed checks

Way to avoid this:
M1 to J21a,
onto A46, watch out for camera at Seagrave,
roundabouts around newark,
onto A1, cameras at East Markham, up to J49,
onto A168 to A19, up to Gateshead/Tyne Tunnel

is quick, but dependent on time of day for A19

Last edited:
I am actually at J8 M25 right in the middle at the bottom!

So would normally go clockwise to M1

In that case I'd be looking at M25 anticlockwise via Dartford to the M11, A14 then A1M and don't stop until you hit Newcastle

Just returned fron near Wetherby last Friday. A1 (M), A46, M1, A43, M40, M25. Much better than going up ( M25, M40, M42, M6 toll,M6.)

A1 then onto A19 near York.Dual carriageway all way from Thirsk. A19 much quicker than A1 to Newcastle from York area.

too right bruce, I try and time it so that I'm required in the Slough office, so a 1h:10m teatime flight from Heathrow T5 is the desired mode.

M1, A1 then A696 (Newcastle Airport turn off on A1) straight to Otterburn. Pick a nice day and it's a lovely run. Agree the A19 is a quicker and better route but there'll be a good few turn offs if you don't know the roads to get back on the A696

too right bruce, I try and time it so that I'm required in the Slough office, so a 1h:10m teatime flight from Heathrow T5 is the desired mode.

Agreed. I also have an office near Slough... Scary.

The drive up to Newcastle can be quiet pleasant if you are in no rush to get there. A few good roadside Cafe's along the route that serve proper servants tea and industrial sandwiches.

A46 route should be taken out for April. Resurfacing near Leicester = 1 lane.

There's an alternative dual carriageway that cuts through between Bedford and Luton.

Well driving to Newcastle on Saturday and I regularly drive M25 J9, clockwise to M1 (early to avoid traffic - going to Nottingham at 6am tomorrow), M18, A1. You just need to continue up to Otterburn (A696 nice drive).

It's a fair bit shorter than M40, M6. It doesn't have any serious road works on M1.

Anticlockwise on M25 from J9 is a 50mph pain and heading up M11 is a pain on A14.

Enjoy Otterburn!

Plane would have been good but Wife 2 kids and the dog plus practically all the toys from the kids bedroom flying out of the question.

Anyway we just got back and I did M1 M18 and A1m great route 345 miles and 6 hours there 6 hours coming back including stops.

Great work guys will consult you on my next road trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom