London travel advice please

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Even on a Saturday and Sunday the congestion charge will still apply - £15 per day.

I would say that train is by far the most sensible option.

That said, if you are concerned about COVID-19, then the car is also a workable solution, though it will be a pain - as others pointed out, driving around Central London is very difficult these days.

As a compromise I suppose you could travel First Class (less people in the carriage), then use black cabs (they are more spacious than Ubers and you will be far better segregated from the driver).

I'd vote train/tube. Just keep your distance and adhere to any social distancing measures.

As others have mentioned unless you've driven in the area before and confident it can be a nightmare to navigate and may detract from your experience!

Also the parking charge will be ludicrous if your planning on keeping the car in NCP for a few days....

How about taking an uber / cab from Kings Cross to The Shard?

Personally I would drive.

It is entirely possible to travel on the train safely BUT if you want fullest assurance of reducing COVID-19 risk then surely the car is preferable.

I currently drive in London around once a month...I generally don't have issues if I am paying attention. I don't like using stop/start function, (especially in London).

Obviously be mindful of speed limits, (20mph in some areas), red lights, timed bus lanes & yellow boxes ...so many have enforcement cameras.. Don't be bullied into getting a ticket.

Cyclists & delivery mopeds can filter badly either side & create their own spaces. ....If you do get caught napping & your forward gap is taken...be prepared to "let it go."

I use Justpark & Waze apps (later gives speed limit alerts). I am signed up up online for congestion charge & ULEZ. I use street view for just park spaces, (S212 not always easy to bay park). Your hotel site states they parking facilities, ( no idea of cost or how close).

Finally........I do not engage with anyone who approaches me for money, (whether in the car, on foot or elsewhere). Romanian women beggars operate in gangs. They are prevalent in West End, Oxford St & other spending/tourist hot spots. They can be persistent, aggressive & use distraction techniques to steal &/or pick pockets. Be polite if able but safely be firm &/or create distance. Check gadget/phone cover. If you accidentally run one over my daughter will probably buy you a drink....(using her insurance replaced iphone) !

Apologies if you know all of the above & are more Street/London wise than me.

I like to have my car close to hand, ( in case I need to relocate quickly) . I don't like public transport or thieves.....(this may have come across in my above comments).

I hope you have a great time.

:)

Last edited:
Just a random thought, what about getting your own chauffeur? Save all the hassle of parking and you wont need the car once in London as things are easily accessible by cab or walking. I don't do public transport, so when my son graduated, I organised a chauffeur (actually a Mercedes club member) and he drove me and my son to the University in London and then picked us up later than evening. How about an even crazier idea, would there be anyone on here that would be prepared to chauffeur you and your family to London and back?

Personally I would drive.

It is entirely possible to travel on the train safely BUT if you want fullest assurance of reducing COVID-19 risk then surely the car is preferable.

I currently drive in London around once a month...I generally don't have issues if I am paying attention. I don't like using stop/start function, (especially in London).

Obviously be mindful of speed limits, (20mph in some areas), red lights, timed bus lanes & yellow boxes ...so many have enforcement cameras.. Don't be bullied into getting a ticket.

Cyclists & delivery mopeds can filter badly either side & create their own spaces. ....If you do get caught napping & your forward gap is taken...be prepared to "let it go."

I use Justpark & Waze apps (later gives speed limit alerts). I am signed up up online for congestion charge & ULEZ. I use street view for just park spaces, (S212 not always easy to bay park). Your hotel site states they parking facilities, ( no idea of cost or how close).

Finally........I do not engage with anyone who approaches me for money, (whether in the car, on foot or elsewhere). Romanian women beggars operate in gangs. They are prevalent in West End, Oxford St & other spending/tourist hot spots. They can be persistent, aggressive & use distraction techniques to steal &/or pick pockets. Be polite if able but safely be firm &/or create distance. Check gadget/phone cover. If you accidentally run one over my daughter will probably buy you a drink....(using her insurance replaced iphone) !

Apologies if you know all of the above & are more Street/London wise than me.

I like to have my car close to hand, ( in case I need to relocate quickly) . I don't like public transport or thieves.....(this may have come across in my above comments).

I hope you have a great time.

:)
Jesus mate, I’m surprised that you even leave your house! :confused:

The Thameslink trains will be empty at those times,it has to be the best way to get to London and back home no changing no problems.
Unfortunately Thameslink don't appear to have any trains running between Peterborough and Tower Bridge at the moment. We'd need to change - unless I'm not reading their timetables correctly.

Just a random thought, what about getting your own chauffeur? Save all the hassle of parking and you wont need the car once in London as things are easily accessible by cab or walking. I don't do public transport, so when my son graduated, I organised a chauffeur (actually a Mercedes club member) and he drove me and my son to the University in London and then picked us up later than evening. How about an even crazier idea, would there be anyone on here that would be prepared to chauffeur you and your family to London and back?
I'm with you in not being a fan of public transport, but that's far too big an ask of anyone.

Forget the train timetables you will go blind or mad ,just go online with say cheap train tickets and then put in what you want ,I just did it for a single from Peterborough to London Bridge fr next Sat and it was£21 no changes.

I would say that train is by far the most sensible option.

That said, if you are concerned about COVID-19, then the car is also a workable solution, though it will be a pain - as others pointed out, driving around Central London is very difficult these days.

As a compromise I suppose you could travel First Class (less people in the carriage), then use black cabs (they are more spacious than Ubers and you will be far better segregated from the driver).

Exactly what I did! :thumb:

Unfortunately Thameslink don't appear to have any trains running between Peterborough and Tower Bridge at the moment. We'd need to change - unless I'm not reading their timetables correctly.
It’s London Bridge you need for the Shard, not Tower Bridge. Tower Bridge is tube only

I used to be indecisive, but I'm now not so sure. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. Driving in London doesn't phase me at all; 15 years ago I was doing it a lot and in very expensive cars, even though they weren't mine. We have very good friends who until recently lived at St Katherine Dock close to Tower Bridge and I've driven there a few times with relatively little difficulty. Neither am I too bothered about paying the Congestion Charge and high parking fee that will add relatively little to a very expensive weekend. But the idea of a relaxing journey is sounding attractive.

I think I'll be going with my very first idea which is to get a taxi (local Mercedes only company) to Peterborough Station, First Class down to Kings Cross, then a black cab to the Shard. As my dear old mum used to say, don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar.

All I have to do now is work out how on earth to reserve three seats together on LNER's booking system when it's eventually operational for the end of September. With all this Covid-19 about they're not offering seats more than a couple of weeks ahead, and when I look at earlier dates they don't seem to be allocating seats together because of social distancing.

Well booking that would be very simple on one of the train ticket sites,just did out on Sat return Sunday afternoon for 3 people and it was £81 Peter to London Bridge the return had one change,but hey as long as you get there do it whatever way you want.

Interesting! Just looking on the LNER website and it says
"Train ticket retailers are able to sell tickets based on historical timetable information. However, these timetables have not been confirmed and are subject to change. If you choose to book a ticket from another website, it may be more a more expensive flexible ticket, it won't have a valid seat reservation and the train may not run once the timetable has been confirmed."
I'm not going to risk spoiling the weekend.

Driving to avoid C19 on the train is a bit pointless if you are staying in a public hotel, eating in a public restaurant and visiting public museums etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom