London ULEZ stops Mercedes W202 entering in 2023.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonyw202

Car
w202
I am going to have to scrap my beloved w202 Mercedes as I live in the ULEZh extended area to all London boroughs in 2023. There seems no way the Mayor of London's decision can be changed.

It’s not law yet, it’s a consultation. We’re still months away from it becoming a law, and many people are as annoyed with it as you.

Here’s the BBC’s write up of the consultation:
ULEZ expansion plans could cover London from 2023 - BBC News

Khan uses the excuse of clean air, but we know it’s simply a green tax to give him extra funding.

Even if it does become law, and that’s by no means certain, it’s not a “scrapping” decision. Your car will still be wanted outside of Freater London so it still has a .. bit less … of a value than it does now.

PM 2.5 pollution in central London has not fallen in the last 5 years. Proving Khan and his ilk are unconcerned with pollution and the health of Londoners. If they were concerned they would note that their current strategy does not work and would change tack. Underground trains for example produce vast amounts of PM2.5 but no suggestion that this should be investigated. In short they are not interested in solutions. Money and changing society is their goal. ULEZ expansion will become law because the UK Government has signed up to Net Zero by 2050. That is already law (2019).

Read recently that Germany is coaxing people out of their private cars by giving them unlimited regional travel on trains, buses and metros for 9 euros a month. Alongside that they have reduced the tax on petrol and are giving a fuel rebate. Our government instead gives a rebate but allows the price of fossil fuels to rise to unaffordable levels, again to coax, or is it force, people out of their private cars. Time for fuel protests. A truck blockade of the city of London should do it.

Read recently that Germany is coaxing people out of their private cars by giving them unlimited regional travel on trains, buses and metros for 9 euros a month. Alongside that they have reduced the tax on petrol and are giving a fuel rebate.
The 1st bit makes sense if the aim is to reduce private car use, and with it emissions / pollution. That assumes that public transport does actually achieve that as I could cite examples that might not.

The 2nd bit would seem to contradict the strategy of the 1st.

I agree with your point, and Mike I W, that the revenue, the squeezing more from the little man, is the motivation. From what I see we are being squeezed at every opportunity.

The 1st bit makes sense if the aim is to reduce private car use, and with it emissions / pollution. That assumes that public transport does actually achieve that as I could cite examples that might not.

The 2nd bit would seem to contradict the strategy of the 1st.

I agree with your point, and Mike I W, that the revenue, the squeezing more from the little man, is the motivation. From what I see we are being squeezed at every opportunity.
I agree the 30 cent reduction in German petrol prices appears to be contradictory if getting ICE off the road is the aim.

Perhaps that reduction to get petrol sub 2 euros a litre was needed to allow civil society to continue to function. Politicians nowadays appear to take frequent advice from behavioral psychologists. How far can they push before the public push back?

I sympathize. My w202 c230k bit the dust last October 26th, 2021 :( The MBC230K lives on retention.

Is there no way to use it even if you pay? Or is the car totally banned?

Tonyw can use it every day of the year all day long, if he pays the daily ULEZ charge.

Tony, why not advertise it for sale. Someone away from the ULEZ zone will buy it. What model is it?

As mentioned by Mike this is only a consulation at present and many of us are hugely annoyed as its all for nothing, but a cash grab to cover for the great loss TFL are in. Its been proven the air in outer London is well within the safe limits. Anyone can join the online official consultation to give their views on this expansion:

There is also an online petetion for those who feel the same:

As mentioned by Mike this is only a consulation at present and many of us are hugely annoyed as its all for nothing, but a cash grab to cover for the great loss TFL are in. Its been proven the air in outer London is well within the safe limits. Anyone can join the online official consultation to give their views on this expansion:

There is also an online petetion for those who feel the same:

It the difference of a £5000 van or double it for a Euro 6 model.

this is only a consultation
Do you feel this will be any thing other than a patronising of the great unwashed?
Cloth ears,
those superior knowing what is better for the majority already,
you can break the eggs but don't make omelettes (if you can still afford to) as that pollutes.

I am, however, in favour of insulate Britain, from the bl**dy politicians.

My w202 is 24.9 years in my ownership. That ends next year.

Khan will fund TfL or his car dealer friends, or both, irrespective of real environmental impact.

Nonetheless I'm looking forward to finding a more polluting 40 year old classic in the course of 2022/23
If, on the 1st of January, the car was first registered >40 years ago, or you can prove a build date >40 years ago, that's all you need AFAIK.
Cue 40 year old 3 litre w123 petrols and diesels...

There were actually a few petrol (possibly less than 10 !) w202s registered on a y plate that are ulez compliant.

I've been trying to find one for 5 years :)

There were actually a few petrol (possibly less than 10 !) w202s registered on a y plate that are ulez compliant.

I've been trying to find one for 5 years :)
Do you happen to have registrations, can see the stats on these ?

This is what I mentioned in another post nothing changed technically it was just a date change over that made more detailed readings became mandatory. Mercedes was ahead of the game most late facelift petrol W202's and similar aged Mercedes are most likely compliant but no evidence to support this as Mercedes themselves wont back this up.

When I researched it before a few years back the only y reg saloons I could find were all 220cdis which obviously are not ulez compliant and the only petrols were all wagons with the 200k m111. Although pontoneer did post a pic of a y reg c240 in the scrap yard !!!

My w202 is 24.9 years in my ownership. That ends next year.

Khan will fund TfL or his car dealer friends, or both, irrespective of real environmental impact.

Nonetheless I'm looking forward to finding a more polluting 40 year old classic in the course of 2022/23
A nice , environmentally friendly 300SEL 6.3 would be exempt ; as would a 450SEL ; early W126 also qualify ; W124 not too far off either , introduced in 1986 so just a couple of years off . R107 also would work , or if you can afford a Pagoda , take your pick . I know of someone who bought a Silver Shadow for this reason also . What about an Audi Quattro , introduced 1980 ? There is no shortage of desirable machines which are exempt from ULEZ , VED and MOT ; and cheaper to buy than the most mundane new car . Even things like Mk 1 Golfs , early Polos , but have you seen the prices of air-cooled beetles ? ,Ford Fiestas , Granadas etc ; just look at anything at least 40 years old , but don't be slow - I read that prices of Classic Cars are on the rise in southern England as people are cottoning on that they are ULEZ exempt . Even things like pre Defender Land Rovers .

I would be wary of investing any serious money into avoiding the charges because it will be a short term measure. Once the precedent has been set for paying TfL to use the roads and cameras are everywhere, they have effectively got away with monetising London’s roads. They can set any charges they want from that point forward. Within a few years everyone will end up paying.

The intention is not to get a few old cars off the road, it goes WAY beyond that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom