London ULEZ stops Mercedes W202 entering in 2023.

tonyw202

Car
w202
I am going to have to scrap my beloved w202 Mercedes as I live in the ULEZh extended area to all London boroughs in 2023. There seems no way the Mayor of London's decision can be changed.

MikeInWimbledon

MB Enthusiast
Car
W212 E500, previously C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL350, SL500, S500, E55
It’s not law yet, it’s a consultation. We’re still months away from it becoming a law, and many people are as annoyed with it as you.

Here’s the BBC’s write up of the consultation:
ULEZ expansion plans could cover London from 2023 - BBC News

Khan uses the excuse of clean air, but we know it’s simply a green tax to give him extra funding.

Even if it does become law, and that’s by no means certain, it’s not a “scrapping” decision. Your car will still be wanted outside of Freater London so it still has a .. bit less … of a value than it does now.

ChipChop

MB Enthusiast
Car
S210 320cdi w201 190d 2.5
PM 2.5 pollution in central London has not fallen in the last 5 years. Proving Khan and his ilk are unconcerned with pollution and the health of Londoners. If they were concerned they would note that their current strategy does not work and would change tack. Underground trains for example produce vast amounts of PM2.5 but no suggestion that this should be investigated. In short they are not interested in solutions. Money and changing society is their goal. ULEZ expansion will become law because the UK Government has signed up to Net Zero by 2050. That is already law (2019).

Read recently that Germany is coaxing people out of their private cars by giving them unlimited regional travel on trains, buses and metros for 9 euros a month. Alongside that they have reduced the tax on petrol and are giving a fuel rebate. Our government instead gives a rebate but allows the price of fossil fuels to rise to unaffordable levels, again to coax, or is it force, people out of their private cars. Time for fuel protests. A truck blockade of the city of London should do it.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
Read recently that Germany is coaxing people out of their private cars by giving them unlimited regional travel on trains, buses and metros for 9 euros a month. Alongside that they have reduced the tax on petrol and are giving a fuel rebate.
The 1st bit makes sense if the aim is to reduce private car use, and with it emissions / pollution. That assumes that public transport does actually achieve that as I could cite examples that might not.

The 2nd bit would seem to contradict the strategy of the 1st.

I agree with your point, and Mike I W, that the revenue, the squeezing more from the little man, is the motivation. From what I see we are being squeezed at every opportunity.

ChipChop

MB Enthusiast
Car
S210 320cdi w201 190d 2.5
The 1st bit makes sense if the aim is to reduce private car use, and with it emissions / pollution. That assumes that public transport does actually achieve that as I could cite examples that might not.

The 2nd bit would seem to contradict the strategy of the 1st.

I agree with your point, and Mike I W, that the revenue, the squeezing more from the little man, is the motivation. From what I see we are being squeezed at every opportunity.
I agree the 30 cent reduction in German petrol prices appears to be contradictory if getting ICE off the road is the aim.

Perhaps that reduction to get petrol sub 2 euros a litre was needed to allow civil society to continue to function. Politicians nowadays appear to take frequent advice from behavioral psychologists. How far can they push before the public push back?

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
I sympathize. My w202 c230k bit the dust last October 26th, 2021 :( The MBC230K lives on retention.

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab, 2019 Audi A6 Avant 40 TDi S-Line
Is there no way to use it even if you pay? Or is the car totally banned?

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
Tonyw can use it every day of the year all day long, if he pays the daily ULEZ charge.

Tony, why not advertise it for sale. Someone away from the ULEZ zone will buy it. What model is it?

gurpz

Administrator
Staff member
Car
Mercedes C230K Sport
As mentioned by Mike this is only a consulation at present and many of us are hugely annoyed as its all for nothing, but a cash grab to cover for the great loss TFL are in. Its been proven the air in outer London is well within the safe limits. Anyone can join the online official consultation to give their views on this expansion:

There is also an online petetion for those who feel the same:

Darrell

MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, BMW E30 Touring, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
As mentioned by Mike this is only a consulation at present and many of us are hugely annoyed as its all for nothing, but a cash grab to cover for the great loss TFL are in. Its been proven the air in outer London is well within the safe limits. Anyone can join the online official consultation to give their views on this expansion:

There is also an online petetion for those who feel the same:

It the difference of a £5000 van or double it for a Euro 6 model.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
this is only a consultation
Do you feel this will be any thing other than a patronising of the great unwashed?
Cloth ears,
those superior knowing what is better for the majority already,
you can break the eggs but don't make omelettes (if you can still afford to) as that pollutes.

I am, however, in favour of insulate Britain, from the bl**dy politicians.

tim.100

Car
202&463
My w202 is 24.9 years in my ownership. That ends next year.

Khan will fund TfL or his car dealer friends, or both, irrespective of real environmental impact.

Nonetheless I'm looking forward to finding a more polluting 40 year old classic in the course of 2022/23

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
My w202 is 24.9 years in my ownership. That ends next year.

Khan will fund TfL or his car dealer friends, or both, irrespective of real environmental impact.

Nonetheless I'm looking forward to finding a more polluting 40 year old classic in the course of 2022/23
If, on the 1st of January, the car was first registered >40 years ago, or you can prove a build date >40 years ago, that's all you need AFAIK.
Cue 40 year old 3 litre w123 petrols and diesels...

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
There were actually a few petrol (possibly less than 10 !) w202s registered on a y plate that are ulez compliant.

I've been trying to find one for 5 years :)

gurpz

Administrator
Staff member
Car
Mercedes C230K Sport
There were actually a few petrol (possibly less than 10 !) w202s registered on a y plate that are ulez compliant.

I've been trying to find one for 5 years :)
Do you happen to have registrations, can see the stats on these ?

This is what I mentioned in another post nothing changed technically it was just a date change over that made more detailed readings became mandatory. Mercedes was ahead of the game most late facelift petrol W202's and similar aged Mercedes are most likely compliant but no evidence to support this as Mercedes themselves wont back this up.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
When I researched it before a few years back the only y reg saloons I could find were all 220cdis which obviously are not ulez compliant and the only petrols were all wagons with the 200k m111. Although pontoneer did post a pic of a y reg c240 in the scrap yard !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom