London ULEZ - trying to pick an E Class - petrol or diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Evenin' all.

I've recently been asking questions about W212's and was happily narrowing down my search to various 350 CDI's.

However I live in London (Zone 2) and the ultra low emission zone(ULEZ) is planned for 2020 and I'm struggling to work out the options.

I know that wouldn't be able to drive my existing 211 500 in as I asked the nice people at TFL online and they told me so.

If I'm reading it right I also couldn't drive a 10/11 plate 350 CDI into the zone without paying as they are Euro 5 (I think...) and the minimum is Euro 6.

I've been trying to find out what a 350 CGI is in Euro emissions terms but have failed - anyone got any idea? It would need to be Euro 4.

This could all be a bit academic as I rarely drive into the existing Congestion Charge area anyway and if it doesn't expand it's all a bit "meh".

However if the ULEZ does expand and I've bought a soot chucker I may really regret it in that the resale will tank and I can't actually use it.

In which case it's 350 CGI all the way.

Help

Does your budget stretch to a hybrid 300e or h?

Yes I think it could - although I might have to lose some spec.

Is the H a diesel/electric hybrid? I'd have one in a heartbeat if it was petrol/electric but struggle with the idea of diesel 4 pot in an E Class.

What's the 300E?

Resale shouldn't 'tank' as only a tiny percentage of the overall population live near these zones or would care since they're never likely to visit them .

Resale shouldn't 'tank' as only a tiny percentage of the overall population live near these zones or would care since they're never likely to visit them .

Yeah, good point.

Of course if they were to keep the ULEZ the same size as the existing CC zone then I wouldn't be bothered as I very rarely have a need to drive in. And I've got a little petrol Cio to hand as the city runabout if it comes to it.

It's the debate about extending it to the North Circular/South Circular that would really impact me as I live inside that zone.

Although I think you get a 3 year resident's discount of 90% or something.

I just had a look at Parkers and at least one of the 350 CGI's listed is a Euro 5 so sounds like a CGI might be the best bet overall.

I was interested in this thread and have been meaning to do some research all week but only just got round to it. I too live outside the existing C Charge zone but inside the South Circular, so am not impacted by the currently planned ULEZ but would live within it if it got extended to the S and N Circular roads.

However, it seems that petrol cars will get off very lightly from the ULEZ, only Euro 4 compliance is needed. Diesels have to be Euro 6 compliant. The relevant dates of the standards becoming compulsory are:
Euro 4 - Jan 2005
Euro 6 - Sep 2014
Many manufacturers met the standards early so some older cars will also be allowed.

London Scottish, I think this means you are ok. If you have a 2005 E500 it should have been Euro 4 compliant: Mercedes customer services will confirm.

Most current diesel owners will not be ok as only cars purchased in the last 2.5 years are certain to be Euro 6. Though in the 3 years before the ULEZ introduction, of course many people will have replaced their cars with newer ones as Euro 6 will have been around for over 5 years by then.

The ULEZ seems mostly to be a war on NOx and particulates, so petrol cars are better as they produce less anyway. Taxis are about the worst cause of London pollution, and all new ones have to be petrol plug-in hybrid or full electric from next year. There's a retirement scheme too, so the taxi fleet will gradually switch over between 2018 and (I think) 2023.

I was interested in this thread and have been meaning to do some research all week but only just got round to it. I too live outside the existing C Charge zone but inside the South Circular, so am not impacted by the currently planned ULEZ but would live within it if it got extended to the S and N Circular roads.

However, it seems that petrol cars will get off very lightly from the ULEZ, only Euro 4 compliance is needed. Diesels have to be Euro 6 compliant. The relevant dates of the standards becoming compulsory are:
Euro 4 - Jan 2005
Euro 6 - Sep 2014
Many manufacturers met the standards early so some older cars will also be allowed.

London Scottish, I think this means you are ok. If you have a 2005 E500 it should have been Euro 4 compliant: Mercedes customer services will confirm.

Most current diesel owners will not be ok as only cars purchased in the last 2.5 years are certain to be Euro 6. Though in the 3 years before the ULEZ introduction, of course many people will have replaced their cars with newer ones as Euro 6 will have been around for over 5 years by then.

The ULEZ seems mostly to be a war on NOx and particulates, so petrol cars are better as they produce less anyway. Taxis are about the worst cause of London pollution, and all new ones have to be petrol plug-in hybrid or full electric from next year. There's a retirement scheme too, so the taxi fleet will gradually switch over between 2018 and (I think) 2023.

Interesting that you think my 500 would be OK. I hadn't thought of that. I was more thinking of the right choice for my next car.

I was very grumpy about missing a perfectly-specced CDI in early Jan but am now relieved.

Although I was buying it specifically for long motorway trips I will occasionally use it and park it in the city.

And i might be getting a new job with a company with HQ and parking in London (fingers crossed) and would need something that didn't fall foul of any new rules.

Plus I'm hoping to get my daughter into a school in Marleybone and again it would be god to have the option to use the car for the odd trip into town for that.

Hoping to try a CGI next week......

Parking might also be worth consideration.

Westminster have started. I doubt they'll be the only one to target diesel cars.
I agree. They won't be able to resist the opportunity to skim more money out of the motorist, and they have the perfect "justification" that it's all about reducing pollution.

Although it pains me to say so (not least because I've enjoyed driving a variety of diesel cars over the last 10 years), but I'd be very reluctant to buy a diesel car now as the head of environ-mental steam and resulting discrimination is only just starting to build against them.

I think the manufacturers will eventually produce a diesel that solves the Nox problem and the authorities will relent on the ban... but you may need one of these. :D

urea.jpg

I think the manufacturers will eventually produce a diesel that solves the Nox problem and the authorities will relent on the ban... but you may need one of these. :D

Would you just hang around bars and pubs at closing time to 'fill up'? :bannana:

Yes I think it could - although I might have to lose some spec.

Is the H a diesel/electric hybrid? I'd have one in a heartbeat if it was petrol/electric but struggle with the idea of diesel 4 pot in an E Class.

What's the 300E?

Hi,
The 300h uses same 2.1 diesel as the 250d plus an electric motor.
The BMW 3 series hybrid uses a 2.0 litre petrol engine plus an electric motor.
Cheers
Steve

Shame Merc didn't go for a petrol/electric.

I like the feeling of gliding through the city in a Prius.

And when the (petrol) engine kicks in it barely affects the serenity.

Prius? That is not a ve-hic-le, that is a lunchbox.....

The legendary Jeff Dunham has all the best comments about the Pri-us.

Here's a comment from Ahmed, the Dead Terrorist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L07wlt8pQc

I get your point about "it would be nice if Mercedes...." but I'm not sure you'd say that if you'd drive a Lexus hybrid.....

Now a Tesla.... that's something different.....

Shame Merc didn't go for a petrol/electric.

I like the feeling of gliding through the city in a Prius.

And when the (petrol) engine kicks in it barely affects the serenity.

Hi folks, (First post:))

Sorry to revive an old thread, though I can find very little other information this online. This thread has been best source I can find so far thank you!

I own an E300 Bluetec Hybrid AMG Line Estate, it's a 2014 63 plate. We live in London and live within the planned expanded ULEZ when it comes about and I always assumed our car was Euro 6 / emissions compliant for the ULEZ.

A fortnight ago, I decided to drive up wife & kids up to Tate modern on a Sunday, where in places, you can just park on the road. So super easy! Low and behold yesterday I have received an £80 fine for entering the current ULEZ without making the £12.50 payment as our car doesn't meet standards!?

Entering my reg in the TFL ULEZ checker also confirms that our car doesn't meet standard.

Though elsewhere on the web I get conflicting info like here: (look at no:1) Best used diesel cars for London ULEZ | Parkers

Though can also find evidence that our car is Euro 5 only. In fact Parkers also contradict themselves on this page (Euro 5) Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate E300 BlueTEC Hybrid AMG Sport 5d Tip Auto specs & dimensions | Parkers So am super confused :confused:

Would appreciate any advice and wisdom, if it's worth me investigating further, or if I should accept defeat!?

Thanks in advance :)

I own an E300 Bluetec Hybrid AMG Line Estate, it's a 2014 63 plate. We live in London and live within the planned expanded ULEZ when it comes about and I always assumed our car was Euro 6 / emissions compliant for the ULEZ.
What does your logbook (V5C) say in Section 4, D.2 where it lists the "Euro Status"?

Note also that there was an error on some logbooks for Mercedes-Benz cars where the NOx emissions were stated in milligrams/km instead of grams/km and are therefore stated as being 1,000 times more than they really are.

What does your logbook (V5C) say in Section 4, D.2 where it lists the "Euro Status"?

Note also that there was an error on some logbooks for Mercedes-Benz cars where the NOx emissions were stated in milligrams/km instead of grams/km and are therefore stated as being 1,000 times more than they really are.

Thanks Phil.

Will be fishing out the V5 after I finish work and get the kids to bed today. Was just hoping there was another E300 owner out there that may have already faced this conundrum? Will update thread once v5 located. I'm hoping it's just the error on the logbook too!

Sorry to revive an old thread, though I can find very little other information this online. This thread has been best source I can find so far thank you!
A fortnight ago, I decided to drive up wife & kids up to Tate modern on a Sunday, where in places, you can just park on the road. So super easy! Low and behold yesterday I have received an £80 fine for entering the current ULEZ without making the £12.50 payment as our car doesn't meet standards!?
Entering my reg in the TFL ULEZ checker also confirms that our car doesn't meet standard.
Though elsewhere on the web I get conflicting info like here: (look at no:1) Best used diesel cars for London ULEZ | Parkers
Though can also find evidence that our car is Euro 5 only. In fact Parkers also contradict themselves on this page (Euro 5) Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate E300 BlueTEC Hybrid AMG Sport 5d Tip Auto specs & dimensions | Parkers So am super confused :confused:
Would appreciate any advice and wisdom, if it's worth me investigating further, or if I should accept defeat!?

As usual, TFL couldn't organise a Millennium New Years Eve party in an oversized tent in Greenwich.

Absolutely certain that you won't have a problem with that car. Do NOT accept defeat.

I had a 2007 E350, which was ULEZ compliant, but TFL's database initially said wasn't. A quick call to Mercedes (Milton Keynes?) confirmed that the numbers were right, and a very nice lady wrote me a letter, which I forwarded to TFL, who then adjusted the record for my registration (and reversed a ULEZ fine).

My 5.5 litre 2009 E500, is again ULEZ compliant and is shown as much.

Follow the advice you've already been given and you should be able to get TFL to rectify their records. Rest assured that their database is mucked up, and that they are doing that traditional Government thing of fine first, and apologise later, rather than accept any responsibility to do the job in the first place.

As frequently discussed here, ULEZ isn't about reducing pollution in London and London's hotspots. It's a revenue generation thing for the Mayor of London, who pockets the proceeds for his pet projects.

Any issue, come back on here. I can't immediately access my MB contact name as I'm away from "my desk," but I can hunt down / research it for you, if needed.

I'd be very surprised if it wasnt Euro 6. When I was looking at 350CDI's the changeover was around 2012 when the facelift came out.

Thanks folks, will let you know how i get on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom