London wins 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pammy

MB Enthusiast
Car
hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
how fantastic is that!!!

Well done to the whole team - amazing :bannana: :bannana:

Well Done London!

:rock: Sweeter because we were up against the French :D

Yeah, good but now if you live in London you gotta pay for the stadiums to be built.....

Red Ken suggested £60 per year from each Londoner to pay for stadiums etc.....So although I'm happy that we won, I'm pi**ed that I've go to pay for something that ain't gonna do anything for me other than increase local traffic!!!!

Olympic Games We HAVE DONE IT

The Olympic Games are coming to London 2012

Let's hope for a jolly good time for all concerned

WELL DONE LONDON

Paul

Last edited:
Now I just have to pay for it - council tax going up.
Les

I hope the IOC dont mind the building work being finished in 2014 and it costing twice as much as the budget................

Superb news !!! Maybe that has starved off any recession...

DITTRICH said:
Now I just have to pay for it - council tax going up.
Les

You'll get the benefit of the tourist dollar as well as additional infrastructure / investment that the games will bring. Recent Olympics have been net contributors to local economies. Why shouldn't you i.e. London and it's surrounds pay towards that?

Lot of mixed feelings here in London. General mood is that very proud we got it but now the small matter of paying for it and, miserable commuters that we are, how bloody awful the travel will become.

However, riding way above all that is the pure simple joy of:

"Spin on that English battered sausage, Chirac! :D

All those bribes to IOC members gone to waste. Ohdearwhatashamenevermind.

THE LEIGH PARK COMMITTEE FOR

STAGING THE 2004 OLYMPIC GAMES

The Leigh Park Olympic Bid

The people of Leigh Park Housing Estate have made a late application to host the 2004 Olympic Games. However there has been a request that some of the events and traditions are modified in order to give the locals a fairer chance of winning medals. The international Olympic Committee is therefore being asked to consider establishing the Olympic Village in Leigh Park. Local firms of builders have quoted for the construction of works (cash in hand) and confirm that the Village could be completed by the end of 2003. The provision of showers however will have to wait until someone brings back the copper piping. Contingency arrangements have been made to use Staunton Park Lake if necessary.

The use of drugs will be closely monitored. A spokesman said, “drugs will only be available from the Fox Public House”. Asked about urine samples, the spokesman said, “no one takes the piss out of the local lads” and offered the researcher outside.

The Olympic flame will be slightly different. The lighting ceremony will go ahead in the time-honoured tradition of torching the Vauxhall Astra.

Proposals have been put forward concerning rule changes in the following events:

1. The 100M Sprint: Athletes must complete the course in Botley Drive with a VCR under one arm and a microwave under the other. After 20 metres the police dog will be released.

2. Fencing: The protective face guard will be removed and replaced with a black ski mask according to local custom. Athletes will then be asked to dispose of a selection of antiques, electrical goods, watches, mountain bikes and car radios in the shortest time possible.

3. Boxing: This event will be restricted to husband and wife matches and finals will be held in the Working Mens club on Saturday Night. The husband must have consumed at least 12 pints of lager before encountering his wife, where she will announce one or more of the following.

a) Theres nuffing for tea.
b) The telly’s been repossessed
c) Our Tracey’s up the duff
d) So am I
e) The woman up the road is up the duff and says its yours.

4. Triple Jump: This will revert to its old name of Hop, skip and jump and will be sponsored by the HM prison. Medals will be rewarded to competitors who find the most ingenious way of jumping bail.

5. Tug of War: Chains will be fixed to one of the benches in the refurbished Greywell Shopping area and the winning team will be the ones who can haul it out the quickest.

6. Equestrian Events: Horses, ponies, donkeys and assorted nags can be collected from the little Leigh Farm and medals will be awarded for tethering them in the most unusual places.

7. Walking: Athletes must be accompanied by a pit bull terrier led by a small piece of string. Ferrets will not count.

8. Shot Putt: House bricks will be thrown from various distances at any suitable plate glass window, especially the Chemists, newsagents or any moving traffic in Swanmore.

9. Cycling: The committee is unanimous in their verdict that tandems are for poofs, but all cycle’s entered into the competition must carry two, without lights or brakes and must be ridden on the pavement.

In Conclusion

The Leigh Park committee is confident that sufficient funds can be found to stage a major international event. Indeed even now they are completing additional DSS applications, working at night to obtain household goods and holding car boot sales, etc, etc, in the true spirit of Leigh Park in the garden of Hampshire.

Brett said:
You'll get the benefit of the tourist dollar as well as additional infrastructure / investment that the games will bring. Recent Olympics have been net contributors to local economies. Why shouldn't you i.e. London and it's surrounds pay towards that?

Whilst as a whole London will benefit, me personally will just see a higher council tax bill. Speaking selfishly, I tend to judge things on how they affect my bank balance. I make no apolies for my comment.
Les

DITTRICH said:
Whilst as a whole London will benefit, me personally will just see a higher council tax bill. Speaking selfishly, I tend to judge things on how they affect my bank balance. I make no apolies for my comment.
Les

Hmmmmmmm. But dont some of you in London already pay the lowest council tax around? This, allied with higher than average earnings means you are still better off. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Whatever the cost, its great to beat Paris. Bet old Chirac wishes he hadnt made those remarks now. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

DITTRICH said:
Les

I understand that - at the moment, we have the G8 summit going on 30 miles from my house. The immediate impact on me is that I am avoiding going near my customers in Edinburgh this week with a direct loss of earnings. The policing bill is expected to cost in excess of £50m, of which only 20% is currently going to be met by central government, the rest falling on the Scottish tax payer.

The benefit to the Scottish economy is not going to be anywhere near what you will see with the Olympics, and I will see higher council tax bills as a result. The tangible benefits to me are nothing - no new stadia, no new railway lines, nothing.

At least your council tax money will bring you some tangible benefits when the games are all over. Anyway, sorry for the rant, I got a little carried away once I started.

According to BBC News 24:

"French President wishes London luck"

Maybe the man has a heart after all.

C240Sport97 said:
According to BBC News 24:

"French President wishes London luck"

Maybe the man has a heart after all.

Whats that button (red/green) to the top left of the headlamp switch on your car? Is it standard? Curious thats all.

Didn't hosting the Olympics bankrupt the City of Atlanta ? ;)

Howard said:
Didn't hosting the Olympics bankrupt the City of Atlanta ? ;)

I think there was a bribery and corruption scandal associated with this, wasn't there? Should I be saying "allegedly"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom