London wins 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
rees_A said:
Yeah, good but now if you live in London you gotta pay for the stadiums to be built.....

Red Ken suggested £60 per year from each Londoner to pay for stadiums etc.....So although I'm happy that we won, I'm pi**ed that I've go to pay for something that ain't gonna do anything for me other than increase local traffic!!!!

I'm with you on that one! first we get a CC rise to £8 this week :crazy: .. and now we have to fork out more for this.. all in all, although London won.. i don't think Londoners are the winners here :mad:

I live in London - just down the road from Wembley Stadium. I think it's amazing that we won the bid. My toddler will be 10, my twins will be 8, and they will see the Olympic Games taking place in their home city. What a superb opportunity. We should be proud of our bid team, and we should be celebrating!

I for one don't mind in the slightest if they put up our tax bills to help pay for the games. At least we will see an actual real tangible result - investment in public transport, various facilities, regeneration to a part of town that's sorely neglected. I far prefer to pay a tax for that than to pay higher road and congestion charges which give road users (those who pay) nothing back in return. I'd not mind paying a congestion charge if it resulted in money being invested in improving the road network. Here we can see actual tangible benefits, a rarity from any specific targetted tax!

-simon

SimonsMerc said:
. We should be proud of our bid team, and we should be celebrating!

here here - couldn't agree more. This brings amazing opportunities to regenerate a poor area and improve the infrastructure around London. :rock:

I live about 1 mile away from the Great Yorkshire Showground in Harrogate. Next week is Great Yorkshire Show week and Sainsbury's will be shut for the three days of the show, :eek: our roads will be shut and snarled up for the week, but you'll never hear us complaining. It brings a terrific amount of business and money into Harrogate for a wee bit of disruption, but disruption that happens every year. The Showground is then used throughout the year for all types of trade fairs, flower shows etc - the roads are generally fairly well managed - but the good it does for the town far outweighs the slight inconvenience. :rock:

I remember when Leeds held the Student games in 1996, loads of people complained then - but it's left Leeds with some great facilities.

It's an opportunity for us to show the world how great we can be. The Commonwealth Games in Manchester were an amazing event and proof of what we can do - the Olympics on 2012 will be even better. The bid team have done a fantastic job - it's now the hard bit of making it happen and we will all end up paying towards it as it's not just in London.

I won't have to pay,will I :confused: I'm Welsh and I live in Wales.Don't wnat to go,I can see it on telly. ;)

Webby said:
I won't have to pay,will I :confused: I'm Welsh and I live in Wales.Don't wnat to go,I can see it on telly. ;)

Depends if they want to tart up Cardiff a bit more - they'll be using the Millenium Stadium ;)

pammy said:
Depends if they want to tart up Cardiff a bit more - they'll be using the Millenium Stadium ;)
Will they? Really? Makes sense I suppose. :)

:d

Attachments

• Paris2012.jpg
    Paris2012.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 38
Its ok for people who don't live in London, They will get all the benefits...Extra work etc(Northerners are all brickies etc so will flood to London to build) and all the extra crime with all the northerners running around nicking car radios when not building lol

rees_A said:
Its ok for people who don't live in London, They will get all the benefits...Extra work etc(Northerners are all brickies etc so will flood to London to build) and all the extra crime with all the northerners running around nicking car radios when not building lol

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

French fury after shock defeat of Paris bid By Peggy Hollinger, Max Colchester, and Adam Jones
Published: July 6 2005 15:33 | Last updated: July 6 2005 15:33

The thousands of people gathered in front of the paris City Hall to celebrate the city’s victory in the Olympic race were stunned into silence. But only for a second.

“Bribery”, “cheats” came the calls from the crowd as the reality of the Olympic Committee’s decision to hand the games to London finally sunk in.

The sense of theft was tangible. Seconds before this had been a crowd dancing and chanting in unison, confident of victory and looking forward a huge public party on the steps of the Hotel de Ville. Now it was deflated, and the musicians were already packing their bags.

Paris had been robbed of its moment of glory and France of the chance to give its citizens a reason to pull together despite rampant unemployment, political division and a general sense of malaise.

“The games would have given dynamism to our country that so badly needs it,” said a disappointed Patricia Déon from Paris. “Now we just feel like losers in lots of things - the games, the referendum.”

One very angry woman blamed politicians for the defeat. “It’s Chirac’s fault! That’s all I’m saying.”

That makes it the third time the IOC has turned down a bid from Paris.

1992 bid: Mayor of Paris, Chirac, J.

2008 bid: President of France, Chirac, J.

2012 Bid: President of France, Chirac, J.

Do we sense a trend, perhaps??

An extract from Le Monde - :)

Londres a battu Paris pour les JO de 2012

Paris a perdu, et son bourreau [torturer] s'appelle Londres.

Tony Blair aura triomphé, une fois de plus, de Jacques Chirac.

"Nous n'avons pas la même culture du lobbying que les Anglo-Saxons", disait Bertrand Delanoë, le maire de Paris.

:) :)

Et vous n'avez jamais un mot francais pour le lobbying. ;)
Dommage, mes pauvres... :p

Sorry, don't speak French -

I'm guessing -

Well done London yours was by far the best bid and you deserved to win, we French bow to your supremecy as usual and wish you well in your organisation of this wonderful sporting occasion....

rees_A said:
Sorry, don't speak French -

I'm guessing -

Well done London yours was by far the best bid and you deserved to win, we French bow to your supremecy as usual and wish you well in your organisation of this wonderful sporting occasion....
LMAO :D

bad losers ...

Guy said:
"Nous n'avons pas la même culture du lobbying que les Anglo-Saxons", disait Bertrand Delanoë, le maire de Paris.

:) :)

Et vous n'avez jamais un mot francais pour le lobbying. ;)
Dommage, mes pauvres... :p

Paris lost, and its torturer is called London. Tony Blair will have triumphed, once more, of Jacques Chirac. "We do not have the same culture of the lobbying that the Anglo-Saxons", said Bertrand Delanoë, the mayor of Paris

A Frenchman writes:

In their cups in the Quai d’Orsay

We French hate the perfidious English. We French have always hated the perfidious English. We French hate the perfidious English for being … perfidious. And English. And for positively refusing to be invaded by Germans when we French managed it so effortlessly. Twice. And for letting us deceive ourselves that all those English SOE agents running around organising Le Resistance were … French. Unacceptable. And then, mon Dieu, there was Waterloo … Trafalgar … Agincourt … the ‘andbag of Madame Thatcher …

Entente cordial? Never. A ridiculous, impossible idea.

Ah, but we French used to love “Europe” before the English insinuated themselves into it. It was the very essence of French dirigisme. And OK, Germany was the economic engine. But France held the political power. That was the deal. The English, of course, were not included. That was also the deal. Anyway, they had their “special relationship” with the Americans. But that didn’t worry us. We French hated the Americans.

So everything was magnifique. And then, one day, the hated English decided that the Americans were no longer enough for them. They wanted everything. Specifically, they wanted to undo France’s political hegemony in Europe. It had to be that - had to be political - because there was no chance whatsoever that “the sick man of Europe” could seriously challenge Kraut industrial might. So, there it was again, just like in the bad old days. The perfidous English wanted to play their power games, and as always they wanted to do it at French expense. They wanted to join our “Common Market”.

At first their advances could be rejected, and with what delicious affrontery. The great French leader, who bitterly hated the English, said, “Ici on parle Français.” That, for non-French speakers means, “I hate the perfidious English more than I can tell you, more than I can bear. And because I, the greatest and possible the tallest Frenchman ever to have lived (including that little runt from Corsica), had to endure the humiliation of living for five long years in Stourport-on-Severn – a small and disgustingly damp, typically provincial, typically English town - and because the English behaved towards me with intolerable public-school charm and benevolence no matter how blatently I insulted them, I now grasp this opportunity gladly and with all the gratuitous rudeness I can muster to say, “Non, non, non.””

But not even this stopped the English, so perfidious were they. Perfidiously, the bastards applied to join “Europe” all over again. Even though they had a man with a foolish nose and a terrible French accent for a Prime Minister, this time it was not so easy to turn them down. Indeed, this time they could not be turned down. And there began the decline of La France en l’Europe. There began the long and depressing, inevitable process of European Anglicisation, of the intrusion into European affairs of the English point of view and of that disgusting American invention, the market.

But not even the most paranoid and Anglo-phobic habitué of our Quai d’Orsay could have guessed how bad it would become and where it would all lead. But of course, Sunday, May 29th … the day the English beat us yet again! The day the great Constitution of Giscard, Monsieur La France himself, the finest practitioner and the very symbol of French political elitism, was made forever untenable by … Englishness.

Naturally, good French men and women couldn’t live with this Englishness. Voila, they voted the Constitution down. True, one or two not so good French men and women couldn’t live with its elitism, and so they voted it down too. Well, let us be honest. Let us be open and sincere. Yes, sincere. There were not many of them. No, no, we of the elite can certainly ignore them. We can find a way around all this. We will not allow ourselves to become mired in blame. Not with the perfidious English just twenty-two of their miles away. We must blame them. We will blame them. Comme d’habitude.

It’s only a pity we cannot find a way to blame the Americans, too

rees_A said:

OI!!

And all the brickies are busy in Liverpool til 2008 anyway... !

I know it's been done here before but this seems like a good time:

Go to Google , type in French military victories then click I'm feeling lucky :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom