Long Shot: Can Anyone Identify This Army Regiment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
I'm trying to track down my maternal grandfather's service record from the first world war but have precious little to go on as there is no living relative who knows anything and nothing in his papers other than his Marriage Certificate from September 1918 which has the following entry for Rank or Profession:

q14mFyl.jpg

Can anyone decipher anything useful from the spidery scrawl? I think it's something like "Private, [unidentifiable] Y & O Rgmt[?]", but I could be hopelessly wrong - and I have no idea who "Y & O" would be anyway!

Any help gratefully received.

Could Y stand for Yeomanry?

Or "Yeovil and...."?

Last edited:
And, have you tried here?

I'm trying to track down my maternal grandfather's service record from the first world war but have precious little to go on as there is no living relative who knows anything and nothing in his papers other than his Marriage Certificate from September 1918 which has the following entry for Rank or Profession:

q14mFyl.jpg

Can anyone decipher anything useful from the spidery scrawl? I think it's something like "Private, [unidentifiable] Y & O Rgmt[?]", but I could be hopelessly wrong - and I have no idea who "Y & O" would be anyway!

Where did they live at the time?

Could be YEO which is an abbreviation for Yeomanry.

q14mFyl.jpg

Could it be Y & D ?

2/4 Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry? Existed in 1914

Thanks for the input so far everyone - certainly a few threads to pull!

Reinforcing the point: knowing where he was born, lived, or married, would help focus on likely answers.
Likewise if we knew where he lived afterwards, and what he did, that would help.
A century ago people barely moved out of their local area, let alone County.

Best guess is the Cheshire Regiment 22nd 1/4th Battalion that landed in Gallipoli as part of the 159th Brigade in the 53rd (Welsh) Division in August 1915.

Last edited:
knowing where he was born, lived, or married, would help focus on likely answers.
Born Strood in Kent, married in Woolwich, post-war lived in Bexleyheath and was a Postman.

He did see action on The Somme, but where else is unknown.

Born Strood in Kent, married in Woolwich, post-war lived in Bexleyheath and was a Postman.
He did see action on The Somme, but where else is unknown.
That rules out the Cheshire and focuses us more on Kent and London.

Thank you to all for your inputs.

The most likely explanation of the 2nd/4 seems to be that he was in a Territorial Battalion, and by his location London or West Kent regiments are the most likely candidates. However, the "Y & O" (if, indeed, that is what it is) remains a mystery.

There is a Great War forum that might help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom