Long Term Pigeon Repellent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Gents (and ladies),
I seem to have a problem. One of my apartments in Italy has a few large balconies, and as it's unused most of the year, a group of pigeons seems to keep returning, and fouling the balcony.

I've tried spikes, but to no avail.

Any suggestions as to a method to keep the critters away? Electricity is turned off, so a speaker and some sensor's isn't going to work either...

M>

Can you put in an outside tap? I have seen a solar powered PIR repeller that shoots a fine jet of water.

Or removable mesh panels?

Couple of royal pythons.

Netting isn't viable - the larger balcony is approximately 150sq.m, which means there's little to attach the netting to.

Static statues I've seen reviews for - seems that while they work in the short term, the birds get used to them. I've just ordered an owl with a rotating head (wind activated).

There is an outside tap, but this is closed at the mains when the house isn't in use to prevent the pipes freezing and/or floods...

I'm going to try an ultrasonic thing from Amazon... but without much hope. What I need is a solar powered BB-gun trap... something like an automated, tracking rifle...

Has anyone tried gel? Does it work?

Any other ideas?

M.

Last edited:
If the house is mainly unoccupied, isn't it worth building a frame or having hooks for netting to attach to.

If the house is mainly unoccupied, isn't it worth building a frame or having hooks for netting to attach to.

It's hard to explain without a picture - but the balcony/terrace is large enough that frames/hooks would be quite challenging without building a cage. There are no walls/roofs/things to attach to (think a large flat balcony on the top of an apartment block). The only walls are the staircase exit.

How long can a cat survive alone on the 14th floor? :p

M.

I'm fighting with bird **** at my place.....no luck
*******s will always find a way
There are some pulse, sonic wave kinda bollards - apparently they scare them off, on a motion sensor may help.
I couldn't install them where I live but terrace sound easier
Check eBay were some floating about

How about some of those helium party balloons, tie them down so they can clatter about without getting tangled up, might worry the pigeons enough without upsetting any neighbours?

Ordered on of the ultrasonic solar pir thing, a rotating head owl, a solar rotating thingie with a glowaing ball, some wind chimes, and a reflective tape.

I've seen some electric shock things which look good, but at £800 or so, out of my budget.

Still not convinced any are effective. The plan is to put something on each side, and see what works best... (going down at a 2 month distance over summer)

M/
M.

How about hiring
Dastardly and Muttley

How about hiring
Dastardly and Muttley

Dastardly+and+Muttley.jpg

Back in the UK...

the ultrasonic thing was worthless. Had pigeons sitting on it, with flashing lights and all pretty much minutes after putting it up.

Wind chimes, rotating sparkly thing and solar rotating sparkly thing seemed to work. No idea for how long though.

The giant owls arrived late, so now I have two rather worrying plastic owls with rotating heads in my living room. SWMBO hates them, and turns them around every time she sees them. Needless to say, I turn them back, so they stare at the dinner table. I fear they may make a rather sad end pretty soon...

M ≥

I bought a plastic owl bird scarer for the garden, came home from work to find a bird perched on top of it, crapping down its face..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom