Long-time car enthusiast, first-time AMG owner here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samoht

Car
S203 C55 AMG, Citroen e-C4, McLaren 570GT
Hi all, I'm Tom and now I finally own my first Mercedes, I thought it's probably time to introduce myself a bit.

I've always been interested in cars, and studied mechanical engineering at uni although I now work as a software developer, albeit on self-driving car development.

I've long respected Mercedes, however I think it's taken until this year for my car wants to align with the brand values of the three-pointed star. When I was seven I remember my dad getting the brochures for the 300TE he really wanted, only to decide it was more financially sensible to confine himself to a Volvo 740GLE. (boo!)

My wealthy property-developer uncle, by contrast, was often to be seen behind the wheel of a Merc. I remember a trip in his W124 - it may have been a CE - and being fascinated by the single wiper with its eccentric operation. The one that left a real impression on me however was his 300SL Gullwing in dark blue, which he picked up as settlement for a debt that his counterparty had found himself unable to repay in cash. At the age of 12 when I did a school project on classic cars, my uncle kindly gave me a ride. My dad was in the passenger seat so I curled up like a cat on the rear parcel shelf. It was amazing, and the unique low-pitched rumble of that direct-injected inline six brings back memories to this day. These cars are amazing to see in the metal, I love the side vents, the wheelarch brows, and of course those tiny lifting doors, leaving the big wide padded sill behind. I'm only sorry I don't have any photos, this was before digital cameras!

My interest in cars then took me to Japan, which I've visited a few times and where I taught English for a year. It was quite an experience riding in a W140 S600, complete with fashionable LHD. I had an amazing experience teaching english out there, and my humble Nissan Silvia was even accepted as a guest member of the local hashiriya street-racing group. Highly recommended as a place to visit, as it’s beautiful and fascinating, while also being entirely clean, safe and convenient.

Wanting a sports car, back in 2012 I bought a 1996 Mazda RX-7. I really love the classical looks and FR layout, combined with the unique Wañkel engine, light weight and handling balance.

Lp9AtVw-OaoRfPC93oPKn6_cWkDH0a_haymf1fOGwGRrK1B0pkHWU_qPEaFGlJYE0m9L9jSc558Bf5-cMlqhgi7ZhUMcxUWM93PJbVcQGvLxDQ-fsvVuwCuOSkTjFvG6hyfMgTz14CURscOKTKsLm4vhAyZRrlS_SEJH9lhZevzSJiGFp2u_QXvdJdnQTTA3DOc5M7xUWYbp1eopafN9fjF6gG8b6y0aaOKWsUjIFrysHNF1jBsPExKPFQMFd4druHpsFRpTUl-LAbGJGw0qSUI8ZIWcS70eJNNvNKuhnYaR8DpBHMRKzFLJaSdq6YSiyYgOOopNL2vLgiOXY3y1R6lSZiQDPTtKZXjKQS-AZXnTyosrMUKYDYcqVlYPzQLX8rJ8fU7iIs7zkRKdFHJ78lXbOIYigV3YdyZvr8IB756N88VmmZOBn8yC9dtsB-hj04HvZVhq4opgnRm_jIVQ6Yu2z6GiSJdxvVHh_qD7USzylVAmaTtOO2kmQngCYxTnAoliGAwUvR7TJwiq2iwmT2RSjK8QWjCIsmEFBjk2oOT2MmWmVzU_dIMHV1kIquQ_yxWG1R83pAPrRInp-qVYmIgo42xrCOfuf0ZNU7P1pe_HBcIDy4vZMrnUw_q8aGZ89bAWT-M6rbSaqOq4BWV_TxobnPdXogJyWTcsi8aqt_ADITMu8ldnE-phbM8FPg=w1288-h966-no

I'm not sure I'll ever sell it, but at the same time it's not the best car to use around town, or for long journeys, or for carrying bicycles and stuff. So for the first time in my life I went out looking, not for a sports car, but for the perfect complement to a sports car. Hence the C55 AMG Estate New custodian of C55 Estate | AMG Lounge I’ve just got, which is fantastic. I can’t quite believe I now own a 5.4L V8, to be honest - yet every time I put my foot down, it’s quite ready to remind me of my good fortune!

ACtC-3cc7ndatjSiKcxrFo_V4Q8Hz9QHqBgnsJLE7J1VbT9aUyRI8cdQsoz0vS4Asoo7DPRzIU-mqLZJwTUu_4dAvD6xZhJV9NMYOlhx7jcDDUxeyY3xC03Cqng2HxsG6yzl2M7osillJd85_2Ftc5MXf10_WA=w1449-h966-no

Many thanks to everyone here for the great info that has already helped me on my quest for my first Merc, I’m sure I’ll be asking more questions as time goes on.

Hi all, I'm Tom and now I finally own my first Mercedes, I thought it's probably time to introduce myself a bit.

I've always been interested in cars, and studied mechanical engineering at uni although I now work as a software developer, albeit on self-driving car development.

I've long respected Mercedes, however I think it's taken until this year for my car wants to align with the brand values of the three-pointed star. When I was seven I remember my dad getting the brochures for the 300TE he really wanted, only to decide it was more financially sensible to confine himself to a Volvo 740GLE. (boo!)

My wealthy property-developer uncle, by contrast, was often to be seen behind the wheel of a Merc. I remember a trip in his W124 - it may have been a CE - and being fascinated by the single wiper with its eccentric operation. The one that left a real impression on me however was his 300SL Gullwing in dark blue, which he picked up as settlement for a debt that his counterparty had found himself unable to repay in cash. At the age of 12 when I did a school project on classic cars, my uncle kindly gave me a ride. My dad was in the passenger seat so I curled up like a cat on the rear parcel shelf. It was amazing, and the unique low-pitched rumble of that direct-injected inline six brings back memories to this day. These cars are amazing to see in the metal, I love the side vents, the wheelarch brows, and of course those tiny lifting doors, leaving the big wide padded sill behind. I'm only sorry I don't have any photos, this was before digital cameras!

My interest in cars then took me to Japan, which I've visited a few times and where I taught English for a year. It was quite an experience riding in a W140 S600, complete with fashionable LHD. I had an amazing experience teaching english out there, and my humble Nissan Silvia was even accepted as a guest member of the local hashiriya street-racing group. Highly recommended as a place to visit, as it’s beautiful and fascinating, while also being entirely clean, safe and convenient.

Wanting a sports car, back in 2012 I bought a 1996 Mazda RX-7. I really love the classical looks and FR layout, combined with the unique Wañkel engine, light weight and handling balance.

Lp9AtVw-OaoRfPC93oPKn6_cWkDH0a_haymf1fOGwGRrK1B0pkHWU_qPEaFGlJYE0m9L9jSc558Bf5-cMlqhgi7ZhUMcxUWM93PJbVcQGvLxDQ-fsvVuwCuOSkTjFvG6hyfMgTz14CURscOKTKsLm4vhAyZRrlS_SEJH9lhZevzSJiGFp2u_QXvdJdnQTTA3DOc5M7xUWYbp1eopafN9fjF6gG8b6y0aaOKWsUjIFrysHNF1jBsPExKPFQMFd4druHpsFRpTUl-LAbGJGw0qSUI8ZIWcS70eJNNvNKuhnYaR8DpBHMRKzFLJaSdq6YSiyYgOOopNL2vLgiOXY3y1R6lSZiQDPTtKZXjKQS-AZXnTyosrMUKYDYcqVlYPzQLX8rJ8fU7iIs7zkRKdFHJ78lXbOIYigV3YdyZvr8IB756N88VmmZOBn8yC9dtsB-hj04HvZVhq4opgnRm_jIVQ6Yu2z6GiSJdxvVHh_qD7USzylVAmaTtOO2kmQngCYxTnAoliGAwUvR7TJwiq2iwmT2RSjK8QWjCIsmEFBjk2oOT2MmWmVzU_dIMHV1kIquQ_yxWG1R83pAPrRInp-qVYmIgo42xrCOfuf0ZNU7P1pe_HBcIDy4vZMrnUw_q8aGZ89bAWT-M6rbSaqOq4BWV_TxobnPdXogJyWTcsi8aqt_ADITMu8ldnE-phbM8FPg=w1288-h966-no

I'm not sure I'll ever sell it, but at the same time it's not the best car to use around town, or for long journeys, or for carrying bicycles and stuff. So for the first time in my life I went out looking, not for a sports car, but for the perfect complement to a sports car. Hence the C55 AMG Estate New custodian of C55 Estate | AMG Lounge I’ve just got, which is fantastic. I can’t quite believe I now own a 5.4L V8, to be honest - yet every time I put my foot down, it’s quite ready to remind me of my good fortune!

ACtC-3cc7ndatjSiKcxrFo_V4Q8Hz9QHqBgnsJLE7J1VbT9aUyRI8cdQsoz0vS4Asoo7DPRzIU-mqLZJwTUu_4dAvD6xZhJV9NMYOlhx7jcDDUxeyY3xC03Cqng2HxsG6yzl2M7osillJd85_2Ftc5MXf10_WA=w1449-h966-no

Many thanks to everyone here for the great info that has already helped me on my quest for my first Merc, I’m sure I’ll be asking more questions as time goes on.
If Carlsberg did forum introductions...

I know you’re just going to love your new car, enjoy and stay safe.

Tom, Mine has been my daily drive for the last 45K miles or so, it now has 148K miles on the clock. Let me know if I you need any info. I have followed Dammits posts on that car and I don't think it is going to need anything doing to it any time soon. Just enjoy.

One of my trip meters has not ben re set for almost 4K miles...21.2 MPG average. pretty good all things considered. Probably not much different to an RX-7.

P.S fuel consumption is not something I fret about.

Yeah, loving the car, actually half-wondering why I didn't buy an AMG years ago :) The attitude I'm taking is that I won't worry if it does need things here or there, since I know the car's basically sound so I won't be pouring money into a black hole. And indeed, since I don't do that much annual mileage I'm fine with 20mpg ;-) Yeah probably very similar to the RX-7 which I think can do 25mpg at an absolute stretch.

Love the 300SL back story (aswell as the current wheels) - dark blue must have been beautiful with all the chrome. A really close old school friend of mine inherited one (with his brother - both car nuts) which they restored and sold on. Stunning now, in 1955 they must have been spaceships.......

Nice to see you here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom