Long way home to Sydney Australia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by black240cd, Dec 15, 2016.

1. black240cd

black240cd New Member

Car:
    Mercedes
    Hi, this is my first post here. I live and work in Denmark since 2013 and drive a 1991 w124 250d 5 speed manual with just over 400,000km and still going strong. I'm going to retire in mid 2017 and intend to drive around Europe and the UK before heading home to my family in Australia.
    Any advise on how far I can drive overland heading toward Singapore.
    Alternatively anyone interested in a W124 250d in UK or Europe where I can drive to your destination sale the car cheap and catch the train or bus for the rest or my journey.
    I look forward to your suggestion.
    Paul:bannana:

2. trapperjohn

trapperjohn MB Club Veteran

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate
    Cant help here much Paul but welcome to the forum and good luck on your journey.

Keep us posted if you can on the journey.

CHEERS
    John

3. PobodY

PobodY Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK350 Sport, Nissan GTiR
    How about heading through Russia, and then down through China? Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore.

For obvious reasons I would avoid the Middle East at the moment, and going through Africa would mean taking a boat to Singapore.

If you want to go all-out; load the car in a container and travel with it to Fremantle, then take the Great Eastern Hwy across the Nullabour until it turns in to the Great Western Hwy... then you're home.

4. gr1nch

gr1nch Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus 2017 Iridium Silver over Black Nappa
    Always impressive to hear of very high mileage cars running well. Welcome to the forum! More on that suggestion. You could take the E40, one of the world's longest road, starting in France (iirc), going through Russia and ending in China. A car version of taking the Trans-Siberian railway . That trip has been edging it's way onto my bucket list as I've got a lot of family connections in that part of the world and it would be a great car based adventure.

Is there a car ferry from anywhere in Asia to Australia. If so that would be one heck of a road trip (and would be a good test of your car's current reliability)!

Keep us posted on what you decide to do and how things turn out!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  5. WDB124066

WDB124066 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
    G'day cobber,

Did the reverse in 1976, Bangkok to London through the Khyber Pass, not really advisable now unfortunately, but the E40 sounds like a hoot.

There was a bloke on here that did a rally similar to what you are thinking, maybe do a search...

6. PobodY

Car:
    No. Your best bet is container ship with the car as freight.

My folks were talking about coming the other way; driving from Perth to the UK in their Landcruiser, but it's not going to happen.

7. OP
    OP
    black240cd

black240cd New Member

Car:
    Mercedes
    Thanks for all your input. I will let the forum know my decision when the time come.

8. PobodY

Car:
    Please do it. - I for one will live vicariously through you (and fantasise about doing it myself).