Long Weekend in Edinburgh - Where to Stay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Angie and I are considering a Thursday through Sunday stay in Edinburgh in mid-November.

Not knowing the geography of the city at all, I'd welcome suggestions as to potential places to stay (both general areas and specific hotels if people have recommendations) and "must see" things while there. We'll be driving up so somewhere safe & secure to park is a must, and I'd prefer to explore the city on foot and using public transport rather than staying outside the city and driving in unless someone has a better idea. So... Ideally we need somewhere with easy access to good restaurants and bars and places of interest with secure parking.

Suggestions, please?

Angie and I are considering a Thursday through Sunday stay in Edinburgh in mid-November.

Not knowing the geography of the city at all, I'd welcome suggestions as to potential places to stay (both general areas and specific hotels if people have recommendations) and "must see" things while there. We'll be driving up so somewhere safe & secure to park is a must, and I'd prefer to explore the city on foot and using public transport rather than staying outside the city and driving in unless someone has a better idea. So... Ideally we need somewhere with easy access to good restaurants and bars and places of interest with secure parking.

Suggestions, please?

Always try and stay at the Caledonian Hotel as is as central as you get.

I always stay at the Old Town Chambers https://www.lateralcity.com/old-town-chambers which is quite exceptional. Full apartments incl. kitchen and living room for the price of a good hotel.

Only problem is no parking, but you can park at Waverley Station securely and walk up to Old Town Chambers in a few minutes

Suggestions, please?
Sheraton Edinburgh Hotel

You want to stay here. Your car will be safe in the parking they have. We always stay here for this reason ( same cars too ).
Everything is within walking short taxi ride. There's a lap dancing club opposite for when Angie is asleep.

The other caber tossing nutters will be along shortly to guide you more but, I strongly suggest you stay there for the safety of the car.

Last edited:
Not wanting to hijack the thread but I am doing the exact same thing 11/14th november. I have only worked on the outskirts a year or so back. I did look at the caledonian but it is far from cheap but its just had a 24 million pounds refurb so makes sense. Also doing some research to get off the beaten track as such so will post what I find :) ,Sean

We've stayed at The Royal Terrace hotel every time we've been to Edinburgh. We adore everything about it. (No car park though)

But I'm certain all the above are delightful too.

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just do a house swap with Druk and Bette. :cool:

Another option to think about is staying in the Borders area, they have the new borders railway now and it is a beautiful ride through the hills which takes you straight into Waverly station in 1 hour.

Melrose is a very pretty place if staying in the borders, and would recommend Burts hotel, I've had family that use it and have no complaints.
Id also be happy leaving the car there.

Another option to think about is staying in the Borders area, they have the new borders railway now and it is a beautiful ride through the hills which takes you straight into Waverly station in 1 hour.

Melrose is a very pretty place if staying in the borders, and would recommend Burts hotel, I've had family that use it and have no complaints.
Id also be happy leaving the car there.

Yes. But the railway doesn't go to Melrose. :confused: It also take a couple of hours off the time you have in Edinburgh.

Then there's always the risk of being attacked by the wandering sheep-shxxxers that live in that neck of the woods.

The George Hotel is nice as is the Roxburghe , both central and ideal for seeing the city.

Kenny

Im with above, we stay at The George and have had many a family party there... always super.

Yes. But the railway doesn't go to Melrose. :confused: It also take a couple of hours off the time you have in Edinburgh.

Then there's always the risk of being attacked by the wandering sheep-shxxxers that live in that neck of the woods.

No your right it doesn't, but Tweedbank is exactly far, as I said, just another option.

Some random thoughts.

My own choice would be The Scotsman Hotel. Try and get a north facing room for the view. Also their afternoon tea is wonderful.

Location of the Scotsman Hotel | Edinburgh

First on the list for sightseeing is the Castle. Pre-book tickets here to avoid any queues and save a bit of cash. Tickets & Prices - Edinburgh Castle

Three must-dos when there. The dungeons, the Scottish Crown Jewels and the One-o'clock Gun. Get to it early to get a front row at the rails for the biggest bang of your life. Every day except Sundays. One o'clock Gun

A guided walk down the Royal Mile is good. There are 'free' ones leaving from the David Hume statue at the High Court and from Parliament Sq.

Mary Kings Close is a must-see. pre-book tickets here. The Real Mary King's Close

Opposite Deacon Brodies pub on the Royal Mile is George 1V Bridge. A walk down there takes you to Victoria St which has some interesting wee shops and at the bottom the Grassmarket with a couple of good pubs for grub. Try 'The Last Drop' or 'Maggie Dicksons'.

Steps at the bottom end of the Grassmarket give great views and access back up to the Castle Esplanade.

Also on George1V Bridge is The Outsider restaurant for grub with great views out over the castle and just a bit further south the Elephant House cafe made famous by JK Rowling writing Harry Potter there. Another fifty yds further on gets you to Greyfriars Bobby. Rub his nose for good luck. The story of Greyfriars Bobby

Further down the Royal Mile is St Giles Cathedral and Thistle Chapel, worth a look, remembering to spit on the Heart of Scotland set into the stones in the road outside...also endless good luck.:)

There's a good German Market on in East Princes St Gardens near the Scott Monument from mid-November, worthy of a wander at night when the old town and castle is floodlit.

If the Mrs Phil fancies some shopping then George Street, one street up from Princes St is the place.

Eating:

The Outsider on George1V Bridge. The Outsider Restaurant Booking a must for later evening seats.

Good seafood and ambience for lunch in the Cafe Royal behind the Apple Store at the east end of Princes St. Home :: The Café Royal

An absolute must for lunch is Cafe Andaluz in George St just west of Frederick St. The best tapas you will find anywhere and always busy so there's a real buzz about the place. Try the beef strip in chorizo and battered chicken with honey...oh! Edinburgh City Centre - Cafe Andaluz - Spanish Restaurants in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow

If it's raining: (it wont be but may be windy...Edinburgh is!) there's the Scottish Whisky Experience near the Castle entrance or Gladstones Land just a bit further down the hill. The Museum of Scotland in Chambers St is a revelation. You wont think you've spent a day in a museum, there's a steam engine on the third floor.

Gladstone's Land : Pictures https://www.scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk

And I'll probably think of more. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Derek, much appreciated :thumb:

While we both fancy a short break in Edinburgh I'll be honest and say that it's looking to be a somewhat expensive option if we stay anywhere decent in the centre of the town.

When I can fly to Berlin and stay in a good four or five-star hotel smack in the middle of the action, including paying to park at LHR, and it's less than the cost of just accommodation in Edinburgh, the value proposition doesn't look that good. Which is a real shame :(

Thanks for the info Derek, much appreciated :thumb:

While we both fancy a short break in Edinburgh I'll be honest and say that it's looking to be a somewhat expensive option if we stay anywhere decent in the centre of the town.

When I can fly to Berlin and stay in a good four or five-star hotel smack in the middle of the action, including paying to park at LHR, and it's less than the cost of just accommodation in Edinburgh, the value proposition doesn't look that good. Which is a real shame :(
Good idea, Edinburgh's a dump anyway...especially to us Glaswegians

Also, Edinburgh council hate cars and would happily ban them within a 50 mile radius if they thought they would get away with it. Last report I read said they were going to introduce a 20mph speed limit throughout the whole city.

Russ

Spent quite a few nights in Glasgow a good few years ago when I was working on a project with a crew from IBM Greenock and had a great time with you Weegies :)

A guy who was working with me was a JP and as we wandered down Argyle Street one evening we passed a club where the doorman was politely telling a guy he wasn't coming in, and reinforced his verbal statement by opening his jacket to show a shoulder holster and revolver - my JP colleague was somewhat shocked :eek:

I also remember staying at the Marriott next to the Anderston Centre and walking back to the hotel most evenings running the gauntlet past the "working girls" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom