longer legs for an slc ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aegir slc

Car
350 slc
Hi there, I have a 350slc chassis 107.023 engine 116.982/4 it currently runs the original 3 speed box but I'm wondering if there is an easyish swap for a 4 speed box and would it improve cruising performance and perhaps fuel economy? thanks

The 3speed and 4speed boxes both have direct 1:1 top gear ratios so changing wouldn't affect anything other than possibly acceleration times.

A longer axle ratio would drop revs at cruising speed but it's doubtful if it would have much effect on consumption since you would probably just use more throttle to maintain revs. These cars have notoriously high revs/road speed but you can be sure the factory chose the gear ratios carefully.

fair enough, think I can live with in that case, saves me some work! thanks for this

If there's nothing wrong with the actual box / diff, I would be surprised if any changes, even if feasible, would improve mpg sufficiently to make it economically viable.

When they were current, there was a view that MB tended to 'under gear' their cars such that the driver had instant throttle response when driving on the autobahn in top gear, and the drivetrain was engineered around that. None of this 'economy' nonsense :D

The need for economy crept in later, after production of the SLC had stopped. I haven't driven an 350SLC but did have a 450SLC for years many moons ago, lovely car but I agree it wasn't the most economical of cars. But then I didn't buy it for that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom