Look at my dipstick....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
No, nothing to get excited about.... you may remember I posted before that I hadn't had to top up oil before? Well, MB advised me of the correct oil and I've put small amounts in at a time, so as not to muller the engine....(ML 3.7) I've so far put in 0.7litre. I've illustrated the level before and after in the attached...does this look right considering I've put that much in?

Last edited:
Think the handbook should tell you the amount required to go from the min to max mark on the dipstick.

Look at my dipstick....

Didn't know the forum had an adult section - at least that will keep IBW busy while being off work :devil:.

Didn't know the forum had an adult section - at least that will keep IBW busy while being off work :devil:.

I knew before I read your post, that it wouldn't be answering the question :D

No, nothing to get excited about.... you may remember I posted before that I hadn't had to top up oil before? Well, MB advised me of the correct oil and I've put small amounts in at a time, so as not to muller the engine....(ML 3.7) I've so far put in 0.7litre. I've illustrated the level before and after in the attached...does this look right considering I've put that much in?
looks like you need the balance qty 0.3L added asap, plus more, to get it closer to the max mark.

I Have to Rely on Technology Instead of a Dipstick

The pre-facelift W211 doesn't have a dipstick (not in the E320CDI anyhow). I have to go through the routine of going back to the car five minutes after having shut it down, turn on the ignition, select appropriate menu and wait 30 seconds and let the car tell me if the level is OK or to add oil.

Presumably, if technology fails then it will be followed at some point by the engine. :crazy:

From experience of previous MB engines Min to Max can be as much as 2 litres. So your illustration is not far out. Looks as if you need the other 1.3 litres to top up, but still do it gradually.;)

not enough mate. needs to be closer to the max because if yoy take a corner at high speed, the g forces will cause oil starvation as you will pull the level to one side, except if your car has dry sump oil technology

Cornering will have very little difference on sump oil base level. Up and down hill steep gradients are a higher cause of concern, dependent on where the oil pump lift pipe mesh is situated within the sump.

Better to run with the oil at the higher level on the dipstick, rather than the lower level mark.. Always.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom