Look at this Demo Car E-Class SatNav install

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Whilst browsing I stumbled accross this site:

http://www.hydeparkcorner.co.uk/Navigation.htm

Check out their stealth SatNav install in their demo E-Class

mernavfull2.jpg

mercnavclose.jpg

Thanks for sharing! looks ok but screen is too small.... the installation is OK I guess....

how is this for stealth? unpractical for navi I know, but good for reverse camera if you dont have a screen! or just good to show off :p

cover.jpg

I had them out today to install sat nav and phone kit in my 2 week old C200 coupe.

Neither are installed and I now have a quote to fax to them for the repair of the damage to the dash.

Last edited:
Can you expand a little?

A friend was recommended these people - I fear I am going to have to tell him to cancel.

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Check out their stealth SatNav install in their demo E-Class

lol just wait 'til someone looks for somewhere to put their cigarette out!

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Can you expand a little?

A friend was recommended these people - I fear I am going to have to tell him to cancel.

I must have been unlucky.
I had been told they were good.

It started when the guy arrived 1hr 45mins late he then thought he was only installing the phone kit after a phone call to his office he then said that was ok and was going to install the lot.

He was struggling to remove the dash I asked him if he fitted anything in one of these and he replied NO and against my better judgment I gave him the instructions I found on how to remove the dash (That’s when I should have told him to go).

He then continued to try to remove the dash.

So around 1hr 30mins has now passed and he has finally got the dash almost off.

Has removed top center vent.

But hasn’t got the center of the dash quite out (Still held at the bottom).

When I looked again he now has the stereo out and the pocket out and the top of the center of the facia pulled out and the bottom still attached.

He then stated that I would lose the use of my steering wheel controls. To which I replied Huh the sat nav is to fit under the radio there is a facia (double din) that will fit just need to remove the top part keep the bottom to fit the sat nav.

He then removed the top bit (That’s OK need to do) and then fit it in the car.
Then he replaced the stereo back in and when I looked it looked a mess as the facia was cut too short on the edges.

It was at that point I said look forget it put the car back.

He then proceeded to put the dash back together and then said he had finish and was off.

I then told him to wait whilst I checked the car and low and be hold the following damage

1: Air vent clips broken scratched
2: dash trim to the left of the center console has dig marks * 2
3: dash trim to the left lower center console has huge ripple (Where he force the center console down)
4: Dash trim right of center console dig mark
5: dash trim right lower center console has huge ripple (Where he forced the center console down)
6: Ash tray cover marks on the top edge

THERE IS SOME GOOD NEWS REALLY KEEP READING

So whist he was there I called to complain they rang him on his mobile to confirm and I was then told to get a quote for the damage so I let him go.

On visiting my local MB and getting the quote I told the chap what had happened and he gave me a number and said have a word with these people.

A local firm to the dealer so I called round and the were a few mercs in various stages of retro fit.

The guy came out and tutted as to the mess of the dash and we agreed the price and it's in there for fitting 3rd of Jan.

I am sure I wont get any problems with this place as they do quite of bit of work for the dealer and the place was spotless after chatting to the guy there he knew what was what so feel quite happy.

So the thing is if this didn’t happen and I told the first guy to leave at the out set I might not had found this other place. I know my new merc has been damaged to find out (Alright Alright I am upset and I am kidding my self that I’m not).

Let's see how long they take to sort out the claim.

Do I get an award for typing so much text ??

Last edited:
Let's see how long they take to sort out the claim.

If you are going to claim against them, I recommend that you get hold of a camera and get some close-up photographs of the damage. Also the details of the guys who saw it today, as witnesses to back you up.

Any claim is unlikely to have been settled by 3rd January, when you are having it made good.

Ensure that you get any damaged parts that are replaced, for evidence.

Good luck!

I will be keeping the parts !!.

In my opinion I don’t think there is anything wrong with the company after sleeping on it I am sure that I was unlucky.

I say that because even if you have never worked on a particular car there should be no reason that you would be unable to work on that model. Provided you have some information or access to information on that particular model.

The upshot is that as an engineer you would take more time because of lack of familiarity.

As there are so many types of cars out there you would probably never get the chance to work on them all and some cars will be your first install in that type of car.

But as a customer when it's over an hour and they still have not removed the dash! (Ill let you decide what you should do).

Please don't let this put you off having things done as in any business there will always be someone that complains. Sometimes that complaint is just and sometimes not.

Mercedes cars are very easy to take apart, and they always go back perfectly all the time.

However..... If you don't know the technique and or don't of the tools then your stuffed.

Sorry to hear what happened to your car, this is why I always try to install my own things... I know I won't take shortcuts in the work I do.

Have they damaged your actual dash at all? or is it the facia panels? (assuming they are metal look on the evo are they not?)

PS. the private message you sent me, that is my car registration you can see in the reflection.

Originally posted by Koolvin

Have they damaged your actual dash at all? or is it the facia panels? (assuming they are metal look on the evo are they not?)

Parts on the quote are..

Instrument panel
Ornamental Cove
Fresh Air nozzle
Ash tray cover

Originally posted by Koolvin
Mercedes cars are very easy to take apart, and they always go back perfectly all the time.

However..... If you don't know the technique and or don't of the tools then your stuffed.

Sorry to hear what happened to your car, this is why I always try to install my own things... I know I won't take shortcuts in the work I do.

I have found the w202 interior parts to be very robust! Without knowledge of the interior I just taken stuff apart and so far I've not had any problems ;) .

Just to let you know

They have been on the phone today no quibble they have asked me to go down the dealer and book it in and they are faxing them to arrange payment for the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom