Look out old Norton security users ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
Every year i purchase Norton internet security off Ebay ..For one reason its cheaper . So when you set the Norton security up on the computer for the first time ..you have an option to buy automatic when it expires ..Make sure you . dont agree to renew it when it is coming to an end . I have had Norton from day one when i had my first Windows XP like 25 years aprox .So now my old Norton security is coming to a close after 12 months i get this messagefrom Norton to say renew it now for £13-99 for 12 months thereafter £74-99 .

Seems like companies are catching-up with the car insurance industry practices.... :D

Happened to me with McAfee , always un-tick the auto renewal box and check it still is un-ticked ever so often as sometimes ,after certain software updates, it strangely reverts back to "ticked" - wonder how that happens :rolleyes:

K

Switch to malwarebytes instead. Stopped using Norton about 15 years ago

Agreed, MalwareBytes is what we recommend for home users and SOHO users.

norton is probably one of the worse :D
If you need something premium then its ESET, BitDefender or Kaspersky. I personally use Kaspersky.
Malware bytes is also good.

IMO software packages like this are unnecessary if you simply follow certain rules such as only downloading files from reputed sources. 🤷‍♂️

I use a Mac though so not sure how much of a difference it makes for windows users.

IMO software packages like this are unnecessary if you simply follow certain rules such as only downloading files from reputed sources. 🤷‍♂️

I use a Mac though so not sure how much of a difference it makes for windows users.

Regardless... I recommend that you install this:

Yep, this is the truth. Personally, Windows Defender has improved a lot over the years so I would use that and malwarebytes

As long as you scan downloads and don't click on links from unknown sources, you'll generally be OK. But, each to their own...

Whitenmesis You get nothing for free in this world , that is any good .And in the end if you have a problem , you cant blame anyone but yourself . Any way you dont need to buy any secutity from Norton , because you are safe . And how many other members that can say they have never ever had to send their computer in to the shop for a virus ?

Whitenmesis You get nothing for free in this world , that is any good .And in the end if you have a problem , you cant blame anyone but yourself . Any way you dont need to buy any secutity from Norton , because you are safe . And how many other members that can say they have never ever had to send their computer in to the shop for a virus ?

Just to clarify that MalwareBytes isn't a free product, it's just an alternative to Norton.

(There are indeed free products out there for those not wishing to pay for endpoint protection: AVG, Avast, Avira, etc - or rather, these are free limited-functionality versions of the full product).

I haven't used any antivirus or malware protection on my 'puter for years and I've never had an issue...... oh, hang on..........

funny-windows-error22.jpg

I have never bought an antivirus (I use the limited free versions) and have never had a virus infect my PC whereby I've had to have it removed in a PC shop.
I'm careful of clicking on links I'm unsure of, especially in emails , downloading from unsafe sites, and keeping my av software up to date. It's served me well so far.

You did ask:D

I use and pay for Malwarebytes in addition to the McAfee provided by my IP. I have never had to resort to a 3rd party to clear my PC of virus or malware infection.
My question was why do you choose Norton? As opposed to any other (paid for) anti-virus?

Ho ok i have been shot down . But do use what you like .

I don't think you were 'shot down'.... if there's a rationale behind your using Norton, then it would be good to share is, as other may not be aware of it and might look at your considerations with interest.

If it's just because you know the product and feel comfortable with it, then that's also fine.

I'm by no means a computer expert, but I'm persuaded that the IT bods at Which? probably are, and they rate the current Windows Defender highly, so I use that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom