Look what I discovered!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
One of my friends asked if I'd like to see his Mercedes. He has had it over 20 years and only takes it out in the dry and rarely.

I know nothing about these models at all but it looks nice :)

Last edited:
Very elegant and tasteful. All you need to do now is convince him that you are best person to own it.

As above ---elegant and tasteful--- If only Mercedes could somehow capture that feeling in 2014! :crazy: Love the wheel trims. :cool: Wonder just how old those nice whitewall tyres are though??:eek:

A tidy 123 : the 230E was arguably the best model in the range with reasonable performance (136bhp) and fuel economy not much worse than the slower 200 . The 280E was significantly faster , but a lot thirstier ; the 250 had the thirst of the 280 , without the performance .

All very solidly built and established a reputation for reliability , the only downside was the soft ride and handling which was no doubt optimised for the American market . The advent of the W124 saw a return to more taut handling which had also been a hallmark of the previous W114/5 series .

Great looking car. Love the whitewall tyres. You can still get them, would be interesting to see if they are originals though.

Any details ? Mileage how long he has owned it etc ?

I think it had done 70,000 in it's 30 years. He has owned it for over 20years and the same mechanic has looked after it for all of that time. It had a very smooth but soft ride but it felt remarkably solid and refined for it's age :)

The finest popular production car Mercedes has ever made..

The W123 is just perfect... Its like they took all of the good bits from all of the best Mercedes cars of the 60's and 70's and then put it all on one car with some fantastic innovation thrown in too.

Engineering at its finest, complicated enough to be solid and safe and have that Mercedes wow factor, but simple enough to be one of the most reliable cars ever made IMO.

This is the balance that new cars dont have... too complicated to ever have any reliability.

Unfortunately not many good solid cars around now, but you will never beat that feel of a solid W123.

Last edited:
big fan of W123s ..

My Dad had 3, a 200, 240D and a 230E.

They were the first Mercs I got to drive.

Now that would make a better wedding car!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom