Look what turned up at work today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Its pretty impresssive , and like or hate the monarchy ( I love 'em ) , it shows that when we put our minds to it , we can do things in style.

94 feet of beauty , the Royal Rowing Barge ' Gloriana ' ..... just built.

555272_10150808659006814_720961813_10231990_260376256_n.jpg

553494_10150808654986814_720961813_10231962_1407380603_n.jpg

I thought she was using "The Spirit of Chartwell" as the royal barge.

Another waste of taxpayers money I dont doubt.

No , she went upriver on a special trip to visit the man who paid for her ( £1m ) .... ;) who is a staunch Royalist.

I thought she was using "The Spirit of Chartwell" as the royal barge.

She is for the pageant , this will be for other occasions although it will be part of the pageant.

Last edited:
No , she went upriver on a special trip to visit the man who paid for her ( £1m ) .... ;) who is a staunch Royalist...

So he can receive his OBE/Knighthood?

He's already been knighted , some time ago ;)

Magnificent. Redolent of the Doge of Venice's Bucentoro, if just a little smaller.

Do the rowers sit up in the open bit while the royals lurk about under cover?

Something like that.. There's also a guy banging a drum and another with a big whip.

The EIIR is squint.

FWIW - I'd rather see monies being spent on this pageantry at this time than on methadone.

Royalty will bring much-needed tourist income. Try telling me that drug-abusers contribute anything of any true substance to society ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloriana_(ship)

Before everyone jumps in, I ought to point out that the barge was privately commissioned by Lord Sterling. Alot of people may have contributed to the cost though some sources say he paid for it himself out of his own pocket. The taxpayer contributed nothing. So stop moaning (some of you) your money's "safe" with Mr Osbourne still.

As to the cost of the pageantry, I think we ought to be proud of our heritage and stop slagging it off all the time. Also, but not the main point, loads of tourists will come for this and the Olympics. We do this sort of thing better than any other country in the world.

Les

Nice thing about being an adult -- if you don't like something you can make a choice.... there are plenty of countries in the world that are not Monarchies ... those that don't like it can pick one. I hear Libya is quite pleasant at this time of year....

It also pivots up and down to allow the large flagstaff to be lowered as it goes under bridges ....

Last edited:
Nice thing about being an adult -- if you don't like something you can make a choice.... there are plenty of countries in the world that are not Monarchies ... those that don't like it can pick one. I hear Libya is quite pleasant at this time of year....

Agreed, We should enjoy the olympics for what it is and support our country and the job that the monarchy do instead of continually whinging about it. That's what got us into this mess in the first place. If we all had a bit of loyalty and bought Rovers instead of Merc's and cheap eastern imports we'd still have a little bit of a car industry left that we could call our own, well up until BMW bought them anyway ;)

Good on ya Queenie :thumb:

As for Wills & Kate , they are one of the best marketing tools the GB has !

Go Team GB :bannana:

Something like that.. There's also a guy banging a drum and another with a big whip.

If only :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom