Looking at an E320 CDI Estate with big miles - what to look out for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisCLS55

Car
Mercedes E63
My mate is looking at this Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI Estate Avantgarde (S211) 2003 Automatic in Tealite Blue | eBay and so I thought I'd gauge the opinions of members on here. It's a lovely looking car and seems to have a big history but the mileage is high and my mate doesn't want to be left with a money pit as it it will be a family car for him. What should he be aware of and what about tha engine, are they good for such high mileage without major failure?

Any thoughts and replies would be most appreciated.

Thanks

That is one stunning looking car for its age! Looks like it's been maintained to a very high standard. Mechanically the only comment I could make is that a friend of mine was Mercedes apprentice mechanic of the year for 3 year in a row before becoming a full time technician with them. He doesn't work there now but when I had my 2008 Vito he told me older Mercedes where good for 400K if looked after. My van at the time had 180k on it but drove like it was brand new, he also had a 03 Vito with over 200k on it & only sold it Due to rust.
Not saying that goes for cars, but it's worth baring in mind

Pretty certain that is being sold by a forum member and the previous owner was our very own Druk.

Nice Car I considered it but I do not want black leather
The Car has Airmatic all round which gives a great ride, but at that mileage ??
if it needs sorting it will be many times more expensive than springs and shocks up front ,complete airmatic is very expensive to maintain "substantially down the line"( although all 211 estates are airmatic at the rear ).
The Car is beautifully presented and subtly modified .. But it is a highish price for the miles
3 years mileage and where will it be ? not a problem if a long term keeper but its value at well over 200K will make it a harder sell come the time
SBC replaced but quite a time ago How much is left on its life ? I'd want to know how far it was from needing another ?

The Car has Airmatic all round which gives a great ride, but at that mileage ??

I thought when the 211 had Airmatic, it had the suspension adjustment button directly behind the gear shift lever?

This one doesn't have it so I thought they were just on the rear on the estate as you stated...

[QUOTEThe car is loaded with a multitude of driver aids and convenience features, including: Tip-Tronic (optional gear selection) automatic gearbox, Air-matic suspension (with ‘Comfort’ & ‘Sport’ mode options ][/QUOTE]
Pasted from the Ebay Ad

Its has sports suspension as per avantgarde , But no Airmatic according to the vin decoder, So should just have the Normal Airbag setup on the rear and coil springs on the front.

Great colour - they should have kept it in the range.

Yup that's Druks car.

Well looked after and that mileage is nothing on such a well maintained car.

thanks for the replies everyone, it's me buying the car, I'm picking it up Sunday.

The chap i'm buying from is as straight as a dye. I'm comfortable with the mileage, my only issue was the SBC which was mentioned earlier in the thread. It'll be a kid transporter for me so obviously this is important, but I'm quite settled with it after doing some reading (the horror stories of people being on the motorway and brakes failing appear few and far between thank god!). If i'm hit with a big bill to replace the pump further along the line, so be it, that's he risk of buying older cars, i was more worried about the brakes failing with the kids in the car.

thanks again for the replies anyway.

Merc 85 how did you get the VIN decoder? don't you need the chassis no ? cant recall seeing it in the Ad ? did you get it via the reg plate ?

Merc 85 how did you get the VIN decoder? don't you need the chassis no ? cant recall seeing it in the Ad ? did you get it via the reg plate ?

My business is a Motor Factor, so ive access to Dvla Vin numbers through vehicles registration numbers.

I then use the Vin decoder's.

I love seeing cared for examples like that one , so many get abused.

The car is loaded with a multitude of driver aids and convenience features, including: Tip-Tronic (optional gear selection) automatic gearbox, Air-matic suspension (with ‘Comfort’ & ‘Sport’ mode options ]
Pasted from the Ebay Ad

That's an object lesson in not believing what you read in car adverts! :D

thanks for the replies everyone, it's me buying the car, I'm picking it up Sunday.

The chap i'm buying from is as straight as a dye. I'm comfortable with the mileage, my only issue was the SBC which was mentioned earlier in the thread. It'll be a kid transporter for me so obviously this is important, but I'm quite settled with it after doing some reading (the horror stories of people being on the motorway and brakes failing appear few and far between thank god!). If i'm hit with a big bill to replace the pump further along the line, so be it, that's he risk of buying older cars, i was more worried about the brakes failing with the kids in the car.

thanks again for the replies anyway.

The SBC pump was replaced when Derek (DRUK) owned it so you should be fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom