Looking at an W280 today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr E

MB Enthusiast
Car
57 W211 E280 AG
I'm off to look at a W211 E280 CDi AG this afternoon - facelift 57 plate, 68k miles, full MBSH.

Mr E senior is coming with me to do a general check of the oily bits, but can anyone give pointers as to specific areas I need to check? I'm reasonably confident having done of 300k miles in them, but have not had the V6 so was wondering if there is anything there I need to be aware of.

Cheers

PS -W280?

Last edited:
From my experience with the 320 V6 have a good listen to the engine at idle. If you hear an irregular, almost cracking sound, walk away. This happened to my CLS and it turned out to be the main crankshaft bearing which cost £3K to fix! The mileage was 49K...

On the positive, it's a lovely smooth, refined engine that pulls like a train! :)

From my experience with the 320 V6 have a good listen to the engine at idle. If you hear an irregular, almost cracking sound, walk away. This happened to my CLS and it turned out to be the main crankshaft bearing which cost £3K to fix! The mileage was 49K...

On the positive, it's a lovely smooth, refined engine that pulls like a train! :)

Thanks for that. Does the noise come from a particular area - such as the front or rear? Mr E Snr is bringing a code reader, stethoscope, and some other inspection bits and bobs to give it a good going-over mechanically.

The noise seemed to be coming from the front - at first hearing it sounds like a ticking sound but it's irregular and more of a light cracking. I was lucky in that it happened within the warranty period and the dealer (not MB) agreed to cover it.

I don't want to put you off though because it really is an excellent engine, very refined and almost petrol like in it's smoothness.

Good luck this afternoon by the way! :)

Last edited:
I'm off to look at a W211 E280 CDi AG this afternoon - facelift 57 plate, 68k miles, full MBSH.

Mr E senior is coming with me to do a general check of the oily bits, but can anyone give pointers as to specific areas I need to check? I'm reasonably confident having done of 300k miles in them, but have not had the V6 so was wondering if there is anything there I need to be aware of.

Cheers

PS -W280?

Hi Mr E,

This post is probably a little bit too late after the event. I have attached a link below regarding quite a lot of technical information on the W211 model vehicles; however, it does not cover the CDi engine versions. The remainder of the car is as similar if not the same though.

I hope its of some use, even if you did not decide to buy this one today, it may come in very handy in the future if you do eventually decide and settle on a W211 model. If nothing else though, it’s very informative and quite a host of information for any owner of this model vehicle.

Link - http://bayhas.com/mercedes/w211/contents/INDEX.htm

Best Regards,

Dash1

I did. In the end I decided that I didn't want to have one with the SBC braking system - a great system but didn't want the hefty pump replacement costs hanging around at some point in the future.

But we did get the E280 we went to look at. 69k miles, one owner, full MBSH, every single invoice in the file. Very pleased with it - even Mr E (who's a big BMW fan) was impressed. Impressed with the engine, just a big surge of omph rather than anything else. Have done about 150 miles so far and have loved every minute :D

Only downsides were no COMAND (TomTom VIA 135 bought this afternoon) or parking sensors, so I'll be looking to get those fitted at some point. Apart from that, it's maroon with black leather - looks really nice. The dealer had it sitting for about 8 weeks, and I've seen it drop £1500 over the last 4 weeks. A silver one of almost the same spec sold within a week...

I did. In the end I decided that I didn't want to have one with the SBC braking system - a great system but didn't want the hefty pump replacement costs hanging around at some point in the future.

But we did get the E280 we went to look at. 69k miles, one owner, full MBSH, every single invoice in the file. Very pleased with it - even Mr E (who's a big BMW fan) was impressed. Impressed with the engine, just a big surge of omph rather than anything else. Have done about 150 miles so far and have loved every minute :D

Only downsides were no COMAND (TomTom VIA 135 bought this afternoon) or parking sensors, so I'll be looking to get those fitted at some point. Apart from that, it's maroon with black leather - looks really nice. The dealer had it sitting for about 8 weeks, and I've seen it drop £1500 over the last 4 weeks. A silver one of almost the same spec sold within a week...

It's not too difficult to get COMAND retrofitted, I have NTG 2.5 in my sprinter and I'm quite pleased with it.

It's not too difficult to get COMAND retrofitted, I have NTG 2.5 in my sprinter and I'm quite pleased with it.

I agree..
I had a Comand NTG2.5 retro fitted..

Mr E, you have a big advantage if your car does NOT have a COMAND system fitted..
Mine had the old NTG1 system and that makes it a far harder job to upgrade to the NTG 2.5..
I bought mine off eBay from a guy in Latvia who is 100% reliable...
Let me know if you ever want his details / e mail address.

I agree..
I had a Comand NTG2.5 retro fitted..

Mr E, you have a big advantage if your car does NOT have a COMAND system fitted..
Mine had the old NTG1 system and that makes it a far harder job to upgrade to the NTG 2.5..
I bought mine off eBay from a guy in Latvia who is 100% reliable...
Let me know if you ever want his details / e mail address.

It's something that I'll consider - have to get a job first!

Presumably you have to get things coded, etc, once fitted. Roughly what was the cost?

It's something that I'll consider - have to get a job first!

Presumably you have to get things coded, etc, once fitted. Roughly what was the cost?

As I said I bought mine off eBay (a 2011 NTG2.5 off a CLS500) for £550
I took it to COMAND Online in Lightwater, Surrey and they fitted it for I think about £270 and YES it does need to be coded...
Remember mine was harder to do than yours would be..
COMAND online are Kings when it comes to retro fitting Mercedes....

P.S I agree about not wanting SBC.. Also no DPF thank you very much !

Cheers

PS -W280?

No.. W211

Just looking at this thread got me thinking about comand sat nav, heated seats and parking sensors as extras.
We can see from sspeeds post how much it is to get the sat nav fitted but what are the options on the parking sensors and getting them retro fitted?

A few years ago I got rear parking sensors fitted to my Then C 270 Cdi (2003 model) and I had the job done at the Blackpool Mercedes Dealership. I seem to remember it was £330

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom