looking at buying a vito 07-08 xlwb . any propblems ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang

Car
ml 270 brabus d4,
hi all , have looked on some review sites and it could put me off vitos for life. i have a 2000 vito . been great to be honest . yes to rust . worn tyres , exhaust . injectors , water pump alternator wheel bearings brakes blah blah blah . i bought it 7 years ago . had 68k now has 180k, so i feel thats normal ??? but the newer ones have complaints of serious problems, so whats the word on the street with thesze new shaped vans ? what shall i buy ? got around 6k and for that i can get a 07-08 and would love a xlwb if poss. around 80k-110k miles

I know lots of people with 'new shape' (639) Vitos with no rust whatsoever, but it seems some do rust on the tailgate so check that area carefully. The steel body panels are all galvanised from about 2005 onwards and the front wings are plastic.

I've had nothing particularly serious go wrong with my 2007 - front window regulators, drivers seat armrest, one parking sensor ... that's it I think. There was a recall to replace the spare wheel carrier (free of charge), might be worth asking if that was done.

Friend of mine had a rear spring go on her first one (and the window regulators), but it didn't stop her trading it in for another 639 later. Another friend's has done over 150k miles and I don't think she's had any significant issues at all.

They're not the most fuel-efficient vans, so bear that in mind if you're doing a lot of miles. I've got the 3.0 V6 auto which is brilliant to drive but averages about 25mpg, 30 on a long run.

I know lots of people with 'new shape' (639) Vitos with no rust whatsoever, but it seems some do rust on the tailgate so check that area carefully. The steel body panels are all galvanised from about 2005 onwards and the front wings are plastic.

I've had nothing particularly serious go wrong with my 2007 - front window regulators, drivers seat armrest, one parking sensor ... that's it I think. There was a recall to replace the spare wheel carrier (free of charge), might be worth asking if that was done.

Friend of mine had a rear spring go on her first one (and the window regulators), but it didn't stop her trading it in for another 639 later. Another friend's has done over 150k miles and I don't think she's had any significant issues at all.

They're not the most fuel-efficient vans, so bear that in mind if you're doing a lot of miles. I've got the 3.0 V6 auto which is brilliant to drive but averages about 25mpg, 30 on a long run.

My van had a window regulator early in its life and this seems to be a very common problem. Apart from that, it had nothing mechanical replaced at all.

As Bill, I have the 3.0 V6. Great van to drive.

Do your homework before buying. Lots of threads on these vans on this and other forums.

Good luck.

hi all , have looked on some review sites and it could put me off vitos for life. i have a 2000 vito . been great to be honest . yes to rust . worn tyres , exhaust . injectors , water pump alternator wheel bearings brakes blah blah blah . i bought it 7 years ago . had 68k now has 180k, so i feel thats normal ??? but the newer ones have complaints of serious problems, so whats the word on the street with thesze new shaped vans ? what shall i buy ? got around 6k and for that i can get a 07-08 and would love a xlwb if poss. around 80k-110k miles

1. If you are looking at a manual around the 100k mark it is highly likely that the gearbox will need refurbing, every one I've had has needed this. (I buy & sell vans for a living).

2. Even though they were meant to be galvanised from 2004ish, they are still prone to rust so check everywhere.

3. They are VERY heavy on diesel, the 115 does well to get 20mpg if you are in a rush, if you know what I mean.

4. Check the N/S electric window works, the metal cog is in a plastic housing causing it to wear rather easily.

5. Make sure the indicators work, if they don't there is a chance it could be the SAM which isn't cheap to replace.

What are you intending to use the van for?

hi all , have looked on some review sites and it could put me off vitos for life. i have a 2000 vito . been great to be honest . yes to rust . worn tyres , exhaust . injectors , water pump alternator wheel bearings brakes blah blah blah . i bought it 7 years ago . had 68k now has 180k, so i feel thats normal ???

That's not normal.

but the newer ones have complaints of serious problems, so whats the word on the street with thesze new shaped vans ? what shall i buy ? got around 6k and for that i can get a 07-08 and would love a xlwb if poss. around 80k-110k miles

Just get an ex lease Vivaro, it will cost you about £5k inc and you won't end up with the sort of nightmares you've had with your last Vito, plus it will drive better and the running costs are much lower.

639s rust just as badly as the 638s and at 100k miles they're worn out, they really are not very well made, and the rust problems are like something from the 1970s...

Are they really that bad?

We have a 10 plate 111 which has just covered 50k. Has a knock that is developing when you rock the steering from left to right but the dealer cannot pin point in at the moment?

As for the gearbox, what signs are typical of a worn or failing unit? We get good mpg, it's better then the E280 and still looks good.

Are they really that bad?
No, it's just Nick. The majority of 639 Vitos (and Vianos, which are identical in all aspects apart from trim) don't rust. But a few do, so as mentioned it's worth having a good look for peace of mind.

Much like most modern Mercs - you hear the odd story about late W209s, 211s, etc. with some rust but they are relatively rare.

nick mercedes said:
You jest?

Vitos don't rust??

There's several ranging from 06-11 where I am and none have rusted. Maybe worth noting that all have a metallic finish?

There's several ranging from 06-11 where I am and none have rusted. Maybe worth noting that all have a metallic finish?
Interesting, it was mentioned before that most of the ones seen with rust were white (obviously non metallic). I imagine all Vianos have metallic paint, and they're not known for having a rust issue.

As for the gearbox, what signs are typical of a worn or failing unit?

It starts jumping out of first gear when you set off.

Some bodgers then adjust the cables so it's not too bad but this just make the situation worse in the long run.

BTB 500 said:
Interesting, it was mentioned before that most of the ones seen with rust were white (obviously non metallic). I imagine all Vianos have metallic paint, and they're not known for having a rust issue.

The white ones are obviously visible but ours is metallic black and most of the others we see are silver. I had a good look yesterday round the usual areas and no signs of bubbling or of the paint fracturing as you would expect.

I have also had a good look at some of the others and they look clean bar the previous shape where the rust has clearly set in along the edges of the sliding doors.

Will be keeping a close eye on this...

sweetpea said:
It starts jumping out of first gear when you set off.

Some bodgers then adjust the cables so it's not too bad but this just make the situation worse in the long run.

Hmmm, we don't have this and it's a 10 plate with 50k on the clock. The gears are tight though and it has been mentioned that these may need adjusting, is it a service item?

One thing we have noticed is that it does make a noise sometimes when you dip the clutch? Flywheel?

I think it has a 3 year warranty.

A 2005 could have been ungalvanised, depending on build date.

Did you actually read the thread you posted a link to?

there were issues with the galvanising on the vans and paint quality up till 07, after that they were sorted but there are still post 07 ones with rust on them but the problems don't seem to be so widespread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom