Looking at buying a W213 E63 S

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sapperftw

Car
looking at w213 E63
Hi People,

I am looking for advice and your opinions.

I have found a W213 63 plate E63 S with 42k miles on the clock.

What is there to look for particular to this model?

What up and coming service are due near 42k mark?

Last MOT pick up low brake pads front and back? Whats the average cost for replacing these? With and without discs. Got to cover all possible outcomes.

I currently drive E60 535D and I'm comfortable with the running cost that come with its up keep. In the 1k plus repairs when things do go wrong. Which is roughly every couple of MOTs.

I love these W213 and have been watching the market since Nov 2019. This one has popped up, and its a cut above the rest for the money I want to spend.

Thank you in advance for any opinions.

Kind Regards

Sapperftw (hoping get his first MB)

W213 didn't appear till 2016/7 so your intended one should be a W212 5.5 Bi-Turbo engined. Usual servicing costs apply, around £300 for an A service, £500+ for B dependant upon any extras, the 7 year one should be just an "A" service so not too painful really.

It's a while since I had mine but the costs for brake pads both front and rear were around £340 to buy from main dealer back in April 2017. I fitted them myself so no labour charges. Mine didn't need discs so unsure of the cost there though they won't be cheap. :(

Good luck with the purchase and I hope you enjoy it if/when you buy, they're a lovely car. :)

W213 didn't appear till 2016/7 so your intended one should be a W212 5.5 Bi-Turbo engined. Usual servicing costs apply, around £300 for an A service, £500+ for B dependant upon any extras, the 7 year one should be just an "A" service so not too painful really.

It's a while since I had mine but the costs for brake pads both front and rear were around £340 to buy from main dealer back in April 2017. I fitted them myself so no labour charges. Mine didn't need discs so unsure of the cost there though they won't be cheap. :(

Good luck with the purchase and I hope you enjoy it if/when you buy, they're a lovely car. :)

Wow! Thank you for the quick response.

Happy with those levels of cost, sounds similar to my BMW.

At the moment this car looks to good to be true. I'm running all the background checks.

I'm hoping its not a insurance cat c, d and the like. As not sure how to approach them. Having said that I do intend to hold on to the car for a good number of years. Resale value shouldn't be a concern, my current car has 215k on the clock.

As Daveenty responded in Post# 2, a 63 plate is not a W213 but a W212.
The E63S may well have carbon ceramic brake discs and as such will be far more expensive than £900 for a front brake set.
If you have the Vin# you can check the full spec on this website. VIN Decoder for Mercedes-Benz
Look for the code for the brakes. B06 is steel discs, B07 is carbon ceramic.
Its something to be aware of if they need changing soon and something to use when agreeing a price.

Have you got a link to the car in question? I'd like to see it.
You won't be sorry to own a 5.5 biturbo. I've had mine since last Sept and it is a great car. Even better when remapped;)

As Daveenty responded in Post# 2, a 63 plate is not a W213 but a W212.
The E63S may well have carbon ceramic brake discs and as such will be far more expensive than £900 for a front brake set.
If you have the Vin# you can check the full spec on this website. VIN Decoder for Mercedes-Benz
Look for the code for the brakes. B06 is steel discs, B07 is carbon ceramic.
Its something to be aware of if they need changing soon and something to use when agreeing a price.

Have you got a link to the car in question? I'd like to see it.
You won't be sorry to own a 5.5 biturbo. I've had mine since last Sept and it is a great car. Even better when remapped;)

Reg KY63HHJ

If there anything you can find that could be a concern? Please let me know.

Many thanks

Sapperftw

As has been said it’s likely to be the M157 5.5 engine which is superb. Great cars and plenty of tuning potential if you want that, but still cracking cars in standard format. Plenty of owners and knowledgable forum members on here to help and advise you through the buying and ownership process.

Reg KY63HHJ

Many thanks

Sapperftw

That looks very nice indeed:thumb: Looks like it has some nice options too. Heated and cooled dynamic seats, night pack and rear electric blind are some that stand out from the photos.
Without the Vin# I can't get the datacard, but there are a few members here that can. If they spot this thread you may be in luck.

Hope the car is as good as it looks. Don't be swayed by the performance. They are all damn quick!

I used to own a 535d touring so I baulk at the idea that the maintenance / repairs on a 535d will be the same as an AMG.

Now, it's a rare day that anything breaks for me. My ten year old 535d performed impeccably over 10k miles, so repairs cost me nothing.

But, strictly speaking an AMG is built to the same spec, standards and rarity of an M5. But definition, it will cost more to run than a 535d - from fuel, through insurance to maintenance and repair.

On the other hand, a seven year old car is very cheap to run, and if you don't spend your money on cars, you'll only waste it on women and whisky

I've never understood how something like a set of front pads and discs for a car can cost say £300 but those same pads and discs when spec'ed for an AMG are suddenly £900. I found a website some time ago that had a table of pads and discs for various MB cars and gave part numbers for AMG and non AMG brake parts that were the same parts with different part numbers and prices.

^ Thats the AMG markup;).

Not all those discs and pads are the same. I've checked the ones out for my car and they are only specified for certain AMG models.
The car in question probably has two piece ceramic discs which are not used on any non AMG car to my knowledge.
Neither are the two piece steel discs used on the standard E63 used on non AMG's. The specs are totally different.

I've never understood how something like a set of front pads and discs for a car can cost say £300 but those same pads and discs when spec'ed for an AMG are suddenly £900. I found a website some time ago that had a table of pads and discs for various MB cars and gave part numbers for AMG and non AMG brake parts that were the same parts with different part numbers and prices.
Floating discs on some AMG's. They are expensive.

Putting to one side the proverbial AMG tax - it's simply economies of scale; they'll make 1000 pads for standard E-Class for every 1 AMG

Reg KY63HHJ

Many thanks

Sapperftw
I do really like the 212 E63 in white with black accents - fantastic.

If you're not wedded to the colour, there's another on AT a year newer (but with 10k more miles) for £4,000 less?

From the pics, they look like steel discs

I do really like the 212 E63 in white with black accents - fantastic.

If you're not wedded to the colour, there's another on AT a year newer (but with 10k more miles) for £4,000 less?

Funny enough I already have that one flag as a favourite on my Autotrader too. But the spec seems better on the white one.

360 camera, light grey/porcelain interior and panoramic roof were my "must haves"
They come highly specced as standard with all having active park assist, linguatronic, heated front seats, parking sensors among other options..

Both look good and a good time to buy. Obviously most cars look good in adverts so always good to view and then compare

That's what I'm saying....they make 1000's of pads but the ones they give an AMG partnumber too are priced 3 or 4 times higher than the ones given a non AMG part number. I will have a look for the table that I downloaded showing the part numbers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom