Looking at possibly my first ever Merc - C32 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danb1979

Car
MG ZT-T V6 190
Hi

I'm possibly looking at buying (well, looking first) at my first Mercedes and the C32 AMG has really taken my fancy and they're within my allotted budget also!

As I only do c3k miles a year (I run my business (and work) from home) so economy really isn't a worry. The most mileage I do per week is to the gym and back, around a 5mile round trip!

However I'm after a decent 4 door saloon/cruiser as we like to go out a lot with family/friends and always happy to drive but also we're looking at starting a family so 4 doors will be essential!

I've been looking at BMW E39 530i's and 540i's and there are a few out there that really appeal to me, but having done more reading re the C32's, these really appeal to me now

But, looking at Mercs takes me out of my comfort zone as I've never owned one before!

A few questions re the C32 if that's ok?

• Is there a definitive 'buyers guide/advice' for the C32 AMG?
  • Are they belt or chain driven, if belt, what's the general belt service intervals?
  • How are the superchargers for issues (ie. do they have some well known niggles or are they generally bulletproof)?
  • Is there anything on the servicing I NEED to look out for (ie. cooling system work, suspension work etc)?
  • I'm a big lad (6ft 4, 22stone or there abouts) as I train, compete and coach in powerlifting, strongman and some weightlifting! Are the cars room enough in the drivers side for someone with a fat ****, big back and shoulders (moi :D ) and what's the room like in the back (ie. can an adult sit in behind me with a decent level of comfort or is it fairly restricted)?

Thanks for all/any help & advice :)

C32 is a pre-facelift 'W203', so pretty much all the issues that affect these will be present on a C32. Forum member 'Bobby Dazzler' did a buyers guide/owners review on these C32 AMG models some time back - might be worth a search.

FWIW, I don't rate them much. They're quick when working properly but I'd rather pay a bit extra and search out a C55 (facelift W203, similar power wise but more reliable and sound better). Compared to a 5-series BMW they're smaller/more cramped and a class below in terms of luxury, space etc.

A better comparison to a 5-series would be an E-class - which for someone who needs the space would be a better proposition :)

I am large, if not fit, and to be honest I think you'd find it a tight fit. I have had both a C32 and C55 and I'd go for the latter if you really want one.

Have had both C and E classes and as Charles says above go for the E without doubt.

I'm 6ft and 16 stone with a 'weightlifting' ;) back and just about fit in the seats in my C32.

The supercharged engine is very addictive, sadly the C32 is inherently just not reliable and unless you're a proper petrolhead then I'd warn you against buying one. I prefer the '32K to the N/A V8, it's a lot more urgent and lively, just doesn't sound as good.

If you really feel as though you have to own one, research the history of the cars to death, looked after C32's are becoming very very rare and you have to be on your guard.

What is your budget?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom