Looking for a 126 coupe SEC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BULLITTBOSS

Car
r129 500sl
I am on the look out for a late 126 SEC i have looked at a couple which have many issues , not worried about model but must have leather and RHD prefer original car do not want rust bucket but would consider minor issues, please message me if you can help Richard

I dont have one but have owned two (500 , 560) in the past some 20 years ago. great cars, but difficult to find now without rust (beware rear window surround and under plastic side trim even 20 years ago!) and the few good ones that do exist have entered classic status ....and classic prices

Thanks for reply,i am aware of rust issues, like i said i am not put off with rust issues provided not a total rust bucket,would rather an original car than a car which could be badly repaired covered up

Whats your budget ?
Milage spec colour ?

What years?

I've seen several advertised from 8 -12k that look pretty clean

2424fbe14dba4e56930f4d7fc2bb6c3f.jpg

Fabulous cars, phenomenal engineering from four decades ago. Powerful cars, a 500SEC having 260 bhp to move that big body around.

Rare, interesting and FAR more expensive to buy and run than the C215 which is "just" 15-20 years old.

Echoing abs (above), unless you can clarify budget you're going to get a disappointing mixture of answers here.

A superb, 35 year old C126 on 100k could be yours for £40,000, if that's your budget, but that's probably not what you have in mind.

£15k will get a tired 125k car in ordinary cosmetic condition with gremlins lurking, and rust emerging. Is that what you're hoping for?

Maybe you want to pay £5,000 for a car, and then spend £20,000 on fettling it over 2-3 years, using your own engineering skills ? Satisfying but takes time and patience.

Let us know what you're hoping for, and we may know someone with something that suits.

In the meantime, here's an old buyers guide by Classic and Sports that's well worth a look.

Click through to this link:
Mercedes-Benz SEC (C126) buyer’s guide: what to pay and what to look for | Classic & Sports Car

classic_and_sports_car_buyers_guide_mercedes_benz_SEC_C126_WW_trouble_spots.png

Last edited:
hi Regarding price 10k cars are going to want work, i have no problem with this but the car must be worthy of spending large amounts of time and money, so would not object to spending 15 k for the right car, would in ideal world prefer a dark car with light interior but condition more important with good service history, I will not be buying a car which has been freshly painted unless i have evidence of bodywork before painting, i am an engineer so mechanical repairs are not a problem, 560 models seem to be advertised for a premium but would not object to a 500 but nothing less ie 380 or 420
regarding ones advertised,i have looked at a few which have been miss described, with defects and niggles, hidden rust although i now these cars are getting on there must be a few genuine examples.

hi Regarding price 10k cars are going to want work, i have no problem with this but the car must be worthy of spending large amounts of time and money, so would not object to spending 15 k for the right car, would in ideal world prefer a dark car with light interior but condition more important with good service history, I will not be buying a car which has been freshly painted unless i have evidence of bodywork before painting, i am an engineer so mechanical repairs are not a problem, 560 models seem to be advertised for a premium but would not object to a 500 but nothing less ie 380 or 420
regarding ones advertised,i have looked at a few which have been miss described, with defects and niggles, hidden rust although i now these cars are getting on there must be a few genuine examples.
Definitely the right path. They are around. With mechanical ability, you'll be well placed to fettle a structurally sold car with minor gremlins.

A cheaper car will be way too expensive.

What are your thoughts on a Japanese import ?

Really difficult to find any decent SEC's in the UK nowadays unfortunately. Believe it or not I had 4 at one point (three 560's and a 500 AMG) but I sold three of them last year so just a 560 remains which is more than enough.

Definitely the right path. They are around. With mechanical ability, you'll be well placed to fettle a structurally sold car with minor gremlins.

A cheaper car will be way too expensive.

What are your thoughts on a Japanese import ?
Would not mind a JAP import, although must have leather and r/h drive

C126's do seem very over valued at the moment for some reason. The smart money imho would be on the C140 5 litre V8's.

C126's do seem very over valued at the moment for some reason. The smart money imho would be on the C140 5 litre V8's.
Or V12's. Fabulous, cosseted condition with less rust.

97befc019deb4808a44acf7be8bdef10.jpg

9f4ca63c75eb43418d9fcdc73e51efe9.jpg

Nice car But not for me, i have my mind set on 126 , The 140s do not ring my bell (-: i already have a pair of 129s 500 and 600 both are mint the only other option would be a 107 but this would be last resort

I sold my near mint 560sec this last summer with 92k on it, sold within a week. They really are lovely cars, but I couldn't keep mine garaged in the end, only under a carport, so I had to let it go. I'd feel less guilty keeping a 140 coupe under a carport, their prices are really starting to climb now too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom