Looking for a CLK 270cdi and an Answer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slime500

Car
Fiat Coupe 20VT
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster!

After much reading of these fine forums, I have decided I would like to but my wife a CLK 270cdi. Seems to me the motor is great and the car will fit our brief.

I have upto £7,000 and am after a post facelift. Ideally the mileage would be under 100K and more like 75K if possible. Is this achievable for £7,000??

My question is were the bodies of the CLK galvanised before the facelift, ie around mid-2003 or did the galvanising coincide with the facelift.

Thanks for your help

Simon

The 270 CDi was dropped for the facelift to make way for the 4cyl 220 & V6 320 CDi.

£7k should get you either a mint low mileage CLK270 or a decent facelift 220 CDi.

I may have got my wires crossed here?? I thought facelift referred to the changes made late 2004/early 2005 such as the centre console and such like?

You can tell I'm new at this, hah!!!

Thanks for all the help from those wiser than me :)

Facelift cars were around mid 2004 onwards. Mid 2003 onwards were galvanised. Ours is september 03 and allegedly galvanised. Certainly no signs of corrosion so far.

Thanks for the replies.

Now all I need is to find a 2004/2005 CLK 270cdi in black with a black leather interior and my wife will be a happy woman.

Do you know if you can fit a roof rack to a CLK in case extra stowage is required?

Yes. There are 2 mounting points on each side of the roof. Not sure if you have to get MB roof bars or if others do a fixing kit. The boot is pretty good and the seats fold flat so if its just two of you I doubt you will need a roof rack.

Only Mercedes make a roof rack to fit properly in the roof points. They are around £180 but if you hunt on ebay and are not in a rush they do come up from time to time for between £90-£150. The rear seats do fold down and give great extra space if required. When I did my search for info on clks in the end my choice was either the V6 320 cdi, which I rarely see a bad word about or the 200 petrol which in the end was my choice. I really didnt like the 220 cdi when I test drove it. Found it noisy and far from refined like the V6. As suggested to me and will pass on the advice, test drive the 270, 220 and V6 diesel and see which you prefer. I love my clk and have to hide the keys from my girlfriend!!

I would love to try all three diesel versions but finding them here in deepest darkest Devon is proving challenging! I was going going for a diesel for economy reasons obviously, but based on doing 6K-8K miles a year was wondering how much difference petrol vs diesel really makes

Thanks for the Ebay car... The wife says she wants black and isnt going back!!

Hi, there are threads on here with regards to petrol v diesel on clk's, have a browse through my original posts where people added there comments on this point when I was looking for mine.

Im only doing around 6K a year, the 200 clk gives me 30/32mpg on my daily 5 mile trips and around 40/42+ mpg on a longer weekend runs so worked out perfect for my needs.

The diesels need a little time to warm up, especially in winter so thought for my 5 mile daily trips they wouldn't suit me. However, if I had gone the diesel route It would have been the V6 320 which mpg isnt too far off that of the 220 (roughly 44mpg locally and 50+ on a longer runs) All be it as I said previously the 220 is a little noisy in my opinion.

Im sure owners of both 220 and the 320 diesels will give you more accurate figures

If you are doing 6-8k a year I personally would not go for the diesel. The saving in fuel is not worthwhile. You could get a significantly younger 200k for the same money. In my opinion performance/economy wise the 200k is excellent in everyday use.

I would love to try all three diesel versions but finding them here in deepest darkest Devon is proving challenging! I was going going for a diesel for economy reasons obviously, but based on doing 6K-8K miles a year was wondering how much difference petrol vs diesel really makes

Thanks for the Ebay car... The wife says she wants black and isnt going back!!

I wouldnt go for diesel with that sort of low mileage, they take longer to warm up in the winter, and you could get turbo and injector problems with that low mileage, also the fuel cost will be more than petrol. Petrol versions are cheaper to buy also, and a lot less to go wrong.

An 8-9 year old diesel with 75k-100k has the potential to be a wallet buster with repairs.

I have had my CLK 270 CDI for a year now and love it. I have put 12,000 miles on her and the car has clocked up 93,000 in total.
I had to travel 220 miles to find one in nice condition but still spent a further £2,000 on servicing, 4 tyres and putting everythng right.
It is a superb car and with an average 38 mpg, but considering I could have got a petrol version much cheaper or a CLK convertable for the same money I would consider going back to petrol next time.
If one is only useing the car for short distances petrol must be the best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom