Looking for a new vito

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peter11thompson

Car
Viro
Hello new to the group but looking for some advise on the best model of vito to go for in terms of reliability, fuel economy and so on, my budget is 11/12k and want something low mileage. So many to choose from and don’t know what year/ model is the beat

I have a Silver Vito 109 LWB 2007 just 240k miles that I could be persuaded to let go for within your budget...:p

Seriously though, there seem to be a few coming on the market recently. If you keep a look out, I suspect a few more may start to be liquidated over the next couple of months too.
You haven't really said what use you will be putting it to, which would tend to help with recommendations.

I have a Silver Vito 109 LWB 2007 just 240k miles that I could be persuaded to let go for within your budget...:p

Seriously though, there seem to be a few coming on the market recently. If you keep a look out, I suspect a few more may start to be liquidated over the next couple of months too.
You haven't really said what use you will be putting it to, which would tend to help with recommendations.
I’m a tradesperson and would be using it daily for work, so tools loaded and material on occasion, been looking at a 2014 2.1l 113 cdi. It’s got 40,000 was just wondering if there’s any mechanical issues around this model or like models. I’ve heard rust can be an issue, not sure about any other issue

I’m a tradesperson and would be using it daily for work, so tools loaded and material on occasion, been looking at a 2014 2.1l 113 cdi. It’s got 40,000 was just wondering if there’s any mechanical issues around this model or like models. I’ve heard rust can be an issue, not sure about any other issue
What you using just now?

What materials?
The ex long can take 2.4m sheets.

Good used vans with low mileage are quite rare - most are run hard for 3-4 years then moved on. In terms of reliability I would avoid models with AdBlue if at all possible (it might not be if you need to go into low emission zones regularly). I *think* a 2014 van would be Euro 5 emissions category, pre-AdBlue.

There are 3 lengths - Compact, Long and Extra Long (now called L1, L2, L3). I would personally avoid the Compact as it doesn't have room for an under-slung spare wheel - you have to carry this inside the van. The Long is only slightly longer but does have an under-slung spare. The Long is often wrongly referred to as LWB ... the only long wheelbase one is the Extra Long:
Vito lengths.jpg

Check for it obviously, but rust shouldn't be an issue on anything from about 2005 onwards when they got fully galvanised body panels. Up to 2010 they actually have plastic front wings.

Avoid the lowest engine size (109, 110) as this had a low-ratio back axle and actually gave worse mpg than the other 4-cyl models.

Good used vans with low mileage are quite rare - most are run hard for 3-4 years then moved on. In terms of reliability I would avoid models with AdBlue if at all possible (it might not be if you need to go into low emission zones regularly). I *think* a 2014 van would be Euro 5 emissions category, pre-AdBlue.

There are 3 lengths - Compact, Long and Extra Long (now called L1, L2, L3). I would personally avoid the Compact as it doesn't have room for an under-slung spare wheel - you have to carry this inside the van. The Long is only slightly longer but does have an under-slung spare. The Long is often wrongly referred to as LWB ... the only long wheelbase one is the Extra Long:
View attachment 151348

Check for it obviously, but rust shouldn't be an issue on anything from about 2005 onwards when they got fully galvanised body panels. Up to 2010 they actually have plastic front wings.

Avoid the lowest engine size (109, 110) as this had a low-ratio back axle and actually gave worse mpg than the other 4-cyl models.
Can I place the add of the vehicle I’m looking at ? Is that in rules of group I dunno

View attachment 151348

Like I say the 2014 has 40,000 miles on the clock, 4222 miles a year so I’m hoping it wasn’t worked too hard

Looks like a nice van. Is it Euro 5 or 6? The other option is to cut out the middle man and buy at a commercials auction. January is usually a bad time to buy however as many dealers are looking to buy stock.

Looks decent enough. Wrongly advertised as L1 "SWB" - it's actually a 'Long' or L2 (the middle size), so should have an under-slung spare wheel. It's been fitted with side skirts and aftermarket alloys which some insurers might not like (many companies aren't keen on mods to vans). Rear parking sensors are aftermarket. On the plus side it's Euro 5 so pre-AdBlue (more reliable, but not low-emission zone exempt), it's got cruise control, basic aircon and phone wiring. Low mileage matches the MOT history but there's an outstanding recall flagged (could be steering wheel airbag replacement). Worth a look I would say.

I've had four SWB Vitos as work vans (I'm a refrigeration service engineer) from new since 2004; a 2004, 2007, 2012 & currently a 2020. The first two were 111s, the third a 113 & the current a 114 auto.
Regarding the 2013 113 you're looking at, well you should have no issues with rust (unlike the 2004 one I had) as they were galvanised after 2005. I'll use the 2012 113 I had as the closest comparison to the one you're looking at. It was completely trouble free until about 120,000 miles, it then needed the dual mass flywheel replaced, the clutch was replaced at the same time. Then 4 new injectors at about 150,000 miles. It was then trouble free to 240,000 miles when it failed the MOT on emissions due to failed DPF & catalytic converter, which Mercedes quoted £6k to replace. My boss opted to scrap the van, which was a shame because it still drove great & didn't consume any oil between services. I love them. The Transits & Vivaros we also have on the fleet start to need work after about 100,000 miles. Hope that helps.

Looks decent enough. Wrongly advertised as L1 "SWB" - it's actually a 'Long' or L2 (the middle size), so should have an under-slung spare wheel. It's been fitted with side skirts and aftermarket alloys which some insurers might not like (many companies aren't keen on mods to vans). Rear parking sensors are aftermarket. On the plus side it's Euro 5 so pre-AdBlue (more reliable, but not low-emission zone exempt), it's got cruise control, basic aircon and phone wiring. Low mileage matches the MOT history but there's an outstanding recall flagged (could be steering wheel airbag replacement). Worth a look I would say.
Yh okay that’s good about the spare wheel. I live down south so will very rarely being going into ulez, will contact them tomorrow and see what the recall is as I sore that too

I've had four SWB Vitos as work vans (I'm a refrigeration service engineer) from new since 2004; a 2004, 2007, 2012 & currently a 2020. The first two were 111s, the third a 113 & the current a 114 auto.
Regarding the 2013 113 you're looking at, well you should have no issues with rust (unlike the 2004 one I had) as they were galvanised after 2005. I'll use the 2012 113 I had as the closest comparison to the one you're looking at. It was completely trouble free until about 120,000 miles, it then needed the dual mass flywheel replaced, the clutch was replaced at the same time. Then 4 new injectors at about 150,000 miles. It was then trouble free to 240,000 miles when it failed the MOT on emissions due to failed DPF & catalytic converter, which Mercedes quoted £6k to replace. My boss opted to scrap the van, which was a shame because it still drove great & didn't consume any oil between services. I love them. The Transits & Vivaros we also have on the fleet start to need work after about 100,000 miles. Hope that helps.
Okay that’s brilliant think I may get up and have a look at this one then. Just want something to do me well for a few year before needing work, I’d say I’d average 5000 miles a year if that tbh I work very locally

Yh okay that’s good about the spare wheel. I live down south so will very rarely being going into ulez, will contact them tomorrow and see what the recall is as I sore that too

If it is the airbag recall that's FOC and takes 30 mins maximum, so no reason to put it off really. Bit odd not to have had it done. Could be something else though I guess.

Check the spare is actually still there, btw :D

Looks decent enough. Wrongly advertised as L1 "SWB" - it's actually a 'Long' or L2 (the middle size),
I think it is a SWB mate. I had to look twice, as it's not as immediately obvious as usual, but it looked shorter than my old bus.
This one is a LWB, for your comparison Peter11thompson.:

The SWB ones used to have the spare stored in the van, the LWB under the rear (so no valuable loadspace taken up).
Hth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom