Looking for a really good fish & chip shop near...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
The Dazzlers really enjoy good fish & chips, and so we tend to sniff out the good places in the areas that we visit most often.

When we try somewhere new for a weekend away or holiday we sometimes come unstuck - especially in rural areas - so I'm hoping the good members of MB Club will help me find the good ones without driving around for hours and trial and error!!

We'll soon be having weekends away in Chard, Somerset and Burford, Oxfordshire so can any members recommend a really good fish & chip shop within say 20 miles or 30 minutes?

A little further afield is fine if they're exceptionally good!!

Whitstones in Shepton Mallet is V Good, has seating bit too :)

Saturday lunch most weeks :p

Kate

Thanks Kate. Nice one.

According to Googlemaps it's 34 miles and 52 minutes from Chard - probably a touch too far to just grab some chips but it would be an ideal stop off on the way back from a day trip to Cheddar and Wells, which could be on the cards.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Smart's in either Carterton or Witney are pretty good. Have used them for years and the portions have always been generous and freshly cooked with good quality fish! About a 10 minute blat from Burford so not too far. There are chippies in Burford but haven't actually eaten in any of them!!

There's a good one in Cheddar too, on one of the roundabouts on the way up to the Gorge. NOT Tuckers though, they are OK but not the best!

Kate

Thanks folks. Just what I needed!!

Whilst it's not in the title of the thread - any suggestions on really good pubs & restaurants (of any type) in the same areas: Chard and Burford?

Saturday lunch most weeks :p

Kate, thanks for this recommendation. We've been twice in the last few weeks and the food really has been very good both times. Shame the parking isn't more abundant!!

...Bourton-on-the-Water.

Experience suggests the two chips shops in the village are variable at best.

Any suggestions?

There was a good F&C in Stratford, but thinking about it that was 20 years ago! I can't believe it was that long ago I went there!

There was a good F&C in Stratford, but thinking about it that was 20 years ago! I can't believe it was that long ago I went there!

I think I know the one too, overlooking the gardens near the Royal Shakespeare Theatre.

Any other suggestions folks?

I've also heard mention of a very good (possibly award winning) chip shop at the bottom of the main street in Glastonbury. We've said on numerous occasions we'd try it but as yet haven't made it in there.

Edit: Knights is apparently the name.

Last edited:
A few years ago a colleague and I did a job at the old airfield at Little Rissington. He went out to get f&c from Bourton, which was the nearest apparently. Don't know which chippy he went to but they came in a blue card box (if that narrows it down?), and were superb. Not cheap though...

My uncle owns one in chipping norton (clarksons local)& one in Bloxham(oxfordshire)

:thumb:

....another uncle has one in moreton in marsh!

Come on evdok, which uncle is best?? :)

Is Andy's place nearby?

He is in Malvern & Gloucester, chipping norton is the best as he owns an E55 & Ariel atom (git):doh:

In the Cotswolds I'd recommend one in Moreton-In-Marsh. It's on the left hand side as you're heading up towards Stratford Upon Avon.

In the Cotswolds I'd recommend one in Moreton-In-Marsh. It's on the left hand side as you're heading up towards Stratford Upon Avon.
Uncle..Mermaid fish bar :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom