Looking for a Rolls Royce ride...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercy1

Car
It's a car - just a car!
Like so many of a certain age, I have for some time been more interested in ride quality than out-and-out performance.
I thought I may have found it with an ML, but although this was an excellent cruiser I could still feel more bumps than I'd like on ordinary roads.
So now I am in a C350 Estate Sport which has excellent performance and is a very desirable car.
But I still feel every bump and drain cover, and I'm thrown about with every undulation. MOH reckons a recent ride she had in a Zafira (of all things!) was smoother and had less road roar.
You would think after so many years of development, Mercedes ought to be able to produce a smooth ride in a C class, even in Sport guise. I know you will point to the lowered suspension and the low profile tyres of a C Sport, but surely I ought to get a better ride than a Zafira!
So my question is, what car would you recommend for a Rolls Royce ride in a car produced for the masses (well, as near as it's possible that is)?
It has to be a hatchback or an estate (for the dogs), which rules out the S class (too big anyway). Would the E class give the hushed, cosseted, roomy ride I am looking for? Or God forbid, does it have to be another manufacturer??

An E-Class estate without the Sport package would be an excellent choice. The wide, low profile tyres and stiffer suspension of the Sport combine to really mess up the ride, in my opinion.

When testing cars before I bought my first Mercedes (a W202 Elegance) I had a drive of a C240 Sport, and it almost rattled my teeth loose. The difference was like night and day.

Test the E-Class, but avoid the Sport version. Normal width, normal profile tyres may not be the height of fashion, but they are much kinder on the spine.

And the wallet :)

Can't beat the French for a cosseting suspension imho----crap roads . Citroen C5 estate would fit the bill. Choice of steel springs or Hydropneumatic on the top models practically diesel engines only and French electrics of course. Reports appear to praise better build quality than of old? http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/citroen/c5-2008/?

Last edited:
As you mentioned, you have a sport which has a firm(er) ride.

My old W124 300E-24 did glide along quite nicely. Best bet is to get the complainers in a honda civic type R and after that everything else is bliss :D

Try a 124 estate chap..

Mercedes is the only car to offer this for a starter. Look for a E class with airmatic suspension! We have an S class but have had the W211 estate E320 cdi and it had upgraded 16" twin spoke wheels and it was a fantasticly smooth drive!

My experience is that the C-class and E-class have good ride for their class, but the only one that is really outstanding is the S-Class.

The lowered suspension in Avantgarde and Sport models, and larger diameter wheels, all work against you. Go for the smallest diameter wheel (and consequently highest tyre profile) that you can get for your model.

As for French cars, my 2005 Renault has pretty choppy ride. Maybe the Citroens of today are as good as the Citroens of the past - I do not know.

Last edited:
What you need is an E-class estate with Air suspension, I have the saloon running on 18" AMG's and in standard comfort mode is very smooth and in its second sports mode, its the teeth shattering ride that you would want on a track.

The ride in comfort mode is comparable to that of my Dad's W140 S-class, which I find to be one of the most comfortable cars I have ever been in.

Last edited:
Sorry to not reccomend a Merc, but I found my Range Rover to be one of the smoothest most comfortable cars I've driven, they also have fantastic off road ability should you ever need it, the only thing is to make sure it has the standard 19 inch alloys instead of any silly 22 inch ones with low profile tyres.

The most serene and smooth drive I ever had was from a 1986 Range Rover. Truly fantastic and was also brilliant off road, which is why I first bought it.

The next best after that was my 190E 2.6 auto. It was a brilliant car that would eat the miles effortlessly in fantastic comfort and soak up the bumps with ease.
Truly one of the best cars I have ever owned and I really do miss it.

As others have mentioned. A lot of it is down to wheel choice. Big wheels with low profile tyres will always give a harsh and crashy ride whereas smaller wheels with more tyre profile that can soak up the bumps will give a much smother ride.

Last edited:
ML with air suspension is excellent especially with smaller wheels and plenty of tyre depth. Choose the SE. GL too.
E class (211 series) with air suspension is excellent too - but so is the Elegance version with standard 'comfort' suspension and the 16 inch wheels.
R class with air and sensible wheels is excellent if you can accept the rather limited legroom in the front (it has less than any Mercedes in order to fit in a third row of seats).
The 212 series E class in SE version is good for a cosseting ride with the 16 inch wheels;
and the air suspension versions allow you to choose comfort or sport settings. It is sensitive to wheel size. Low profile tyres give a more jittery ride and much more tyre noise at motorway speeds. On 16 and 17 inch wheels all is fine.

The S class is a magic carpet ride but the E and ML get close in their air suspension versions.

Last edited:
W124 estate with Continental tyres or a BMW E39 without air suspension, Range Rover or E class or S Class with air suspension. Sports suspension on a non-sports car is a non-starter for comfort, my Porsche Boxsters had a much better ride.

My vote goes to either an S211 in Avantgarde trim and air suspension, or a Range Rover.
Also depends on how much you want to spend?

Chrysler 300c, has Mercerceds 320 cdi engine, i avarage 37 MPG with mine, and they are dirt cheap, pre. reg cars with 10 miles are £22.500 with every option you can think of, [ new car coming out this year] or second hand, a good low milage one 3/4 years old £12,000

Attachments

• re.jpg
    re.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 199
Chrysler 300c, has Mercerceds 320 cdi engine, i avarage 37 MPG with mine, and they are dirt cheap, pre. reg cars with 10 miles are £22.500 with every option you can think of, [ new car coming out this year] or second hand, a good low milage one 3/4 years old £12,000

What a gorgeous Merc! :)

The e39 in SE spec is a dream to drive, silent (with the right tyres) and brilliant ride quality, as is the W210/211 E-class in elegance guise (but the w210 is an aquired taste imo)

I just put a set of Vredestein winter tyres on my E39 and the change in noise & ride is amazing. They are much quieter than the summer Dunlops. So much so that the Dunlops will be replaced

Any suggestions for a good tyre for an E39 SE spec?

Nick Froome

Last edited:
From previous experience E39 BMW 5 Series SE spec as above. I am also very impressed with the ride of the recently purchased 190e as well and that is over 30 years old.

Cars which I've been impressed with the ride quality of from other manufacturers are the Citroen C5 and the Rover 75. Both ride beautifully.
In terms of mercs which ride well, I was very impressed by a W211 Elegance with airmatic. I've only travelled in an S-class a couple of times, but from what I remember, the ride was superb.

Yep the S211 in Avantgarde is pretty good for ride.

An S class with air suspension and smaller wheels is a great ride. Although a well maintained hydropneumatic big citroen CX/XM/C5/C6 takes some beating for an isolating ride (I've owned quite a few). Probably a C6 for a current production car would be nearest "Rolls Royce" ride.

Or a Roller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom