Looking for a winter hack up to £3,000.00

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whoops: mea culpa: definitely don't buy a manual E200. But that E240 for E2000 still keeps you in the Mercedes fold.

You did well to find a manual E class Merc though, having said that.

I have a w211 which is a bit of a project car, it’s a 320 v6 petrol with full AMG kit, wheels and exhaust from factory. It’s a cat D but the only damage was a cracked rear bumper which has since been made good although needs a proper respray if you would want it perfect (it was my brother in laws and we bought it back from insurance). 140k miles, very good history, keyless go (entry doesn’t work, probably needs a handle), needs MOT but all it needs is rear tyres (which I have a pair included) and rear disks to pass.

I’ll let it go very cheap as I need it gone having just bought a w204 coupe! PM me if you are interested!
Hello m2287, new to forum so can't reply to your Grandad in laws SL ad but could you drop me a line re the car please

Whilst I wouldnt think of it as a winter hack, it certainly has presence, and ive been toying with the idea of selling it for some time, but whenever I drive it (not much these day's) it puts a smile back on my face, having said that, iv'e just lost my Garage so its temporarily in an underground parking space that belongs to a friend.
79900 miles Genuine, with full service history and loads of bills, bought from an MB Club member and enjoyed by me for the last 3 years or so. £3000. and it's only 15 minutes up the road from you ;-)View attachment 82059

That’s a nice car, one of the cleaner 215s you’re likely to come across.

I only sold it because I bought the 911 and parking was a bit of a squeeze at the time.

I can’t see them getting any cheaper, you don’t see a lot of CLs on the road and most of the cheap ones have either ended up neglected or ended up in breakers yards nowadays.

Fond memories :cool:

Thanks Will, and youre right, one of the nicer ones. I think when it eventually goes, it's one I am going to live to regret, as it is still drives very tight indeed.

Hello m2287, new to forum so can't reply to your Grandad in laws SL ad but could you drop me a line re the car please

Hi there, I have asked a mod to give you PM facilities. Hopefully he will get it done soon as I also can’t message you until it is enabled.

Screenshot_20181217-205041_Auto Trader.jpg Screenshot_20181217-205049_Auto Trader.jpg Screenshot_20181217-205107_Auto Trader.jpg

Love my 2005 S!

Screenshot_20181216-185927_Gallery.jpg Thanks for the suggestions guys.. I'm even more confused now lol.

That C215 would just end up in my garage I couldn't subject it to country muddy lanes with salt!

The outlander is a good call but I don't know if I could live with the looks!

There is a W168 A210 SWB up the road from me forsale 03 reg 60k - £1,380.00!

The S210 is like the C215 is you really need to know where to look and what to look out for as I found out to my expense with the W220!

I have found this local bit of a wild card what do you think?

Jaguar 2006 S type 2.7 Diesel sport looka fairly tidy quite a nice colour combo... AWD twin turbo .. am I asking for trouble - the Jag is on auto trader can't get the link it's a 4 owner car with history.. mot past looks a bit unloved?

Last edited:
2006 Blue JAGUAR S-TYPE 2.7 D V6 Sport 4dr for sale for £2290 in Chelmsford, Essex

I tend to use the MOT history to build up a picture of how well-loved a car is in addition to seeing it and speaking to the owner/vendor.

If it is mostly consumable things, I am not too worried but if there are more serious mechanical things as advisories which are left or are always numerous, I would tend to avoid.

I read on here that 2.7 oiler is a good engine.

I think Darrell has an S Type doesn't he...

Personally, I'd rather a petrol but I guess it depends how many miles you intend to do.

If you like the idea of it, have a look at it and see what you think as it is only down the road from you.

I usually have a read online for reviews on places like Honest John (of course).

You always take a gamble no matter what you buy in this ball park but if the car is cheap enough - your liability is limited and you will always get something back on it (car tax and scrap!) worse-case.

If you can get it for two bags of sand, I don't think you can go far wrong.

2006 Blue JAGUAR S-TYPE 2.7 D V6 Sport 4dr for sale for £2290 in Chelmsford, Essex

I tend to use the MOT history to build up a picture of how well-loved a car is in addition to seeing it and speaking to the owner/vendor.

If it is mostly consumable things, I am not too worried but if there are more serious mechanical things as advisories which are left or are always numerous, I would tend to avoid.

I read on here that 2.7 oiler is a good engine.

I think Darrell has an S Type doesn't he...

Personally, I'd rather a petrol but I guess it depends how many miles you intend to do.

If you like the idea of it, have a look at it and see what you think as it is only down the road from you.

I usually have a read online for reviews on places like Honest John (of course).

You always take a gamble no matter what you buy in this ball park but if the car is cheap enough - your liability is limited and you will always get something back on it (car tax and scrap!) worse-case.

If you can get it for two bags of sand, I don't think you can go far wrong.

Thanks John, I also look at Honest reviews.. the oil purely for torque, plus I do around 150 miles a week mainly A12 so it will stretch it's legs !

I was thinking if it looks and drives ok.. throwing in 1850 drive it away tomorrow! Can always go up in 10 pound incredments!

If it is a lemon esp at that price point I guess CCA 2015 will give me some protection unless the trader let's me have it at a discounted price and sells it as spares... any comeback?

Thanks John, I also look at Honest reviews.. the oil purely for torque, plus I do around 150 miles a week mainly A12 so it will stretch it's legs !

I was thinking if it looks and drives ok.. throwing in 1850 drive it away tomorrow! Can always go up in 10 pound incredments!

If it is a lemon esp at that price point I guess CCA 2015 will give me some protection unless the trader let's me have it at a discounted price and sells it as spares... any comeback?

Not sure on that part of the law but I would guess none as that's what was the "part ex to clear" re-worded.

That’s a lovely CLK, my son has a 2003 model but he doesn’t look after it like his dad would.
Two years back I spent a whole weekend tidying it up a bit and was impressed then with its styling.

This is why I’m toying with the idea of getting an SL as a second car as it’s simmilar in looks to the CLK.

Not sure on that part of the law but I would guess none as that's what was the "part ex to clear" re-worded.
Unless you are a fellow trader or you are buying it on auction CCA 2015 applies in other cases. Last month I’ve returned a lemon A class after a week of ownership and got a full refund although in the advert it was written part ex to clear no warranty.

(Scratches head) It would help to know what it is you're trying to achieve, beyond saving your S class for "Sunday Best."

Is it a runabout, a routine second car, or something to tinker with?

Jaguar S types and Rovers are cheap cars because they were outdated and unreliable when they were new.

If you're looking for a mud-friendly country lane car, the 2007ish Subaru Outback seems the best solution by a country mile. Reliable, swift, 5th door, 4WD, cheap to maintain, and much praised back in its day. The only caveats being thirst for fuel and parts availability.

The obvious cheaper alternative: the Ford Focus. Ubiquitous but cheap, reliable and practical. (The rare 2.0 litre petrol being well worth hunting out)

(Scratches head) It would help to know what it is you're trying to achieve, beyond saving your S class for "Sunday Best."

Is it a runabout, a routine second car, or something to tinker with?

Jaguar S types and Rovers are cheap cars because they were outdated and unreliable when they were new.

If you're looking for a mud-friendly country lane car, the 2007ish Subaru Outback seems the best solution by a country mile. Reliable, swift, 5th door, 4WD, cheap to maintain, and much praised back in its day. The only caveats being thirst for fuel and parts availability.

The obvious cheaper alternative: the Ford Focus. Ubiquitous but cheap, reliable and practical. (The rare 2.0 litre petrol being well worth hunting out)

Not really saving the S Class as Sunday best.. I've spent a fair amount of money on the car so intend on holding on to it for a good while.

I just don't want to use it with 2 young sons and winter weather.

I'm aware things are cheap for a reason.

The Focus 2.0 or not is not a car for consideration.

Alot of MB are unreliable I've found that out owning various models.. can't really use that as a yardstick all rovers and jags are unreliable. If are a car is maintained correctly it should serve you well.

The outback just as well could have had a hard life looking at the tow bars and be just as problematic.

It may well be a good car but it's ugly imo the jag is slightly easier on the eye.

Thank you for the input, keep it coming.

I'm going to look at this S type this afternoon so don't want to make any hasty decisions.

But I do need a car in the next 10 - 12 days - I don't really want to have to travel to buy a car at this price point within reason 25 mile radius.

That all makes it a lot clearer.

This won't help, but it's unique - a one owner, low mileage E300 Estate a long way away for a bit more than your budget, but probably negotiable: But shows what kind of Merc might be around:

Advert here: back to top icon

40ff49608b7d48a1888f8c0f72c16ea2.jpg

Rovers are cheap cars because they were outdated and unreliable when they were new.

I'm sorry, (actually I'm not) but anyway.... I strongly disagree that "Rovers" were outdated and unreliable when new!

I cannot talk about the Jag as I have not owned one as you obviously have - as well as a Rover as you seem to have a strong opinion of both.
But just because the 1.8 K Series had HG issues, (that's Head Gasket by the way) due to the fact that is was originally a 1.4 bored out to 1.8, does not make all Rovers unreliable, especially the "75", (which I am sure it is to which you are referring).

I owned a 2001 Rover 75 V6 for 6 years and the only time it let me down "ever", was when the Cam Sensor needed replacing! (Which cost me a tenner to replace)....

It never used oil/water or anything else for that matter and it only failed an MOT once because a Bulb had blown on the Number Plate. And not only that everything worked!

Just because they are inexpensive does not make them "Cheap" - I've bought cheaper Mercs - and boy were some of them "CHEAP"!

And Rust - what rust! Which of course Mercs never do....... (Yeah-right)!

Oh, and not only that, I bet they won more Awards in their short manufacturing lifespan than most Mercedes!

So please, stop pretending you know what you're talking about.

My fine example!

Rover 75 Awards…….

What Car? ‘Car of the Year’ 1999.

What Car? ‘Compact Executive Car of the Year’ 1999

What Car? ‘Diesel Car of the Year’ 1999

Auto Express ‘World Car’ 1999

The Journal / AA ‘Business Car of the Year’ 1999

Italian ‘World's Most Beautiful High Class Saloon’ 1999

Bild am Sonntag ‘Golden Steering Wheel Award’ 1999

The Society of Plastic Engineers ‘Innovative use of plastic’ for the 75's V6 plastic intake system 1999

British International Motor Show ‘Best riding and handling front wheel drive saloon in the world’ 1999

Japanese 'Import Car of the Year' 1999

Middle East Wheels & Gears ‘Car of the Year’ 1999/2000

Japanese 'Import Car of the Year' 2000

New Zealand's National Business Review 'Car of the Year' 2000

Executive Class ‘Portuguese Car of the Year’ 2000

What Car? ‘Compact Executive Car of the Year’ 2000

The only executive car to be short-listed in the 2000 ‘European Car of the Year Awards’

Used Car Buyer 'Used Car of the Year’ 2000

Used Car Buyer ‘Used Car of the Year’ 2001

Diesel Car Magazine ‘Compact Executive Car’ 2001

JD Power customer satisfaction survey ‘Only European car in the Top 5’ 2001

Auto Express Used Car Honours 'Best Diesel Car' 2002

Used Car Buyer 'Best Used Medium Car’ 2002

ITM ‘Car of the Year' 2002

Australian Institute of Transport Management ‘Car of the Year’ 2002

Used Car Buyer ‘Used Car of the Year’ 2004

Used Car Buyer ‘Best Used Family Car of the Year’ 2004

‘Most popular British Forces Germany tax free car purchase’ 2004

Auto Express Drive Power ‘Best Ride Quality’ 2006